Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Speaker ring deterioration

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 08:49 PM
rob_gendreau
|
2nd Gear
Speaker ring deterioration

My MINI has black metal rings that go around the speakers that are in front of the armrests in the doors; there are similar ones around the speakers lower on the door panels (I have the 10 speaker premium sound package).

The ring in the speaker by the driver’s knee is losing it’s black paint rapidly; the car was purchased 5/08 and already the paint has come off about a quarter of the ring. You can rub parts off with your finger. The other rings seem fine. On this one, however, it comes off in little circles.

Anyone else have this problem? I was thinking sweat from my knee might be doing something to it, but I’m not the Alien and my body fluids, whilst perhaps disagreeable, shouldn’t be eating my car up at this tender young age (the car, not me).

As I understand it, replacement of these particular rings isn’t trivial since it requires a door panel removal. And although obviously (to me anyway) a warranty fix, I’d like to know it would not happen again (maybe I’ll ask for chrome or brushed aluminum (or is that aluminium on a MINI?).

Thanks,
Rob

Old 07-11-2008 | 09:48 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
honestly i have no idea wat could cause it your guess is as good as mine but its under warrenty so just adrees the issue but chrome or brushed sounds good to.. just didnt want to leave with out leaving a post i hate when you make a thread and have views but no posts but good luck hope your decision makes you happy

Old 07-11-2008 | 10:15 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Never saw anyone complain about this issue on this forum before (for what it's worth). Sounds like defective paint. Replacement rings were probably painted long ago, so if they are good out of the box they should stay good. Putting on a chrome ring would look wierd with the rest black, and I doubt they'll replace them all under warranty. I think you do have to remove the panel to get them replaced.