Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

HELP!... I think my car is a lemon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008 | 06:18 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
I looked up California's law too. [You got me curious.]

California law seems more protective. Refund includes finance charges [that might be a significant amount refunded since the majority of a monthly payment is mostly interest and the first few year's payments go to interest, not principal.]

Rental car expense is reimbursed.

Finally, a deduction for use of the car is based on miles driven with a common denominator. The State AG's example shows a 5% deduction based on 6000 miles driven, not "up to 15%" like MD. Is the MD law that arbitrary, leaving it to the manufacturer the percentage that will be deducted for use? I can't imagine a manufacturer not taking advantage of the max, 15%.

I like California's calculation method better since it takes into account miles driven. If the MINI is in the shop for 30 days, that will be calculated [meaning less use deduction.]

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-10-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 08:50 PM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
So in Maryland, if your car is declared a lemon you stand to lose 15% of the value. Wouldn't that be the value of the car after 1 year of use? That doesn't sound right and almost renders the law useless in maryland (a car can be declared a lemon within first 15 months of use).

Old 10-09-2008 | 07:20 PM
aem421
|
4th Gear
UPDATE: Sad to say that this is probably my last post on here . A lot has happened in the last few weeks. I was instructed to bring my car back to the dealership in Towson so that they could look at the car one more time. After being there for 3 days they replaced the input shaft seal in the transmission. I took the car home. After about 3 days, what do you know, they finally fixed it. However, by now they had put over 300 miles on my car and used up two tanks of gas. The last time they left me with enough gas to go 9 miles before the car was completely out of gas. They also scratched the underneath of my JCW side skirts from what looked like marks left from the lift. I finally had enough The whole ordeal left me frustrated and angry. I decided to trade the car in and buy something else. I got a great deal on the trade-in and didn't have to pay taxes on my new car. I couldn't pass up the deal. I finally got rid of the problem riddled MINI and got something that rides better, is much bigger, has no air leaks, doesn't make noise when I shift from 3rd to 2nd, has a way better stereo, is cheaper to maintain, and is just as fun to drive. I am much happier now.

It was great talking to everyone on here. I had a blast over the past year. Good luck to all you MINI owners. Oh yeah, I did write MINIUSA a nice letter

Old 10-10-2008 | 04:49 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
aem421,

All the best to you and hope your next car owbnership is a whole lot smoother.

Old 10-10-2008 | 05:38 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
aem421,

I am sorry to see you go but with the problems that you had with your Mini I can understand that.

I wish you the best of luck with your new vehicle.

Old 10-10-2008 | 06:19 AM
Apple
6th Gear
I also traded in Apple and wow, got 22.5K paid 23.5K and bought a BMW and i am happy, but will miss Apple and MPG:(

Old 10-11-2008 | 06:39 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
I also traded in Apple and wow, got 22.5K paid 23.5K and bought a BMW and i am happy, but will miss Apple and MPG:(
Wow Sandy I had no idea you just did that!!

I know Apple was your pride and joy but I just read Apple's blog and see that you needed a 4 door now.Best of luck with your BMW.

Old 10-11-2008 | 11:41 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
I finally got rid of the problem riddled MINI and got something that rides better, is much bigger, has no air leaks, doesn't make noise when I shift from 3rd to 2nd, has a way better stereo, is cheaper to maintain, and is just as fun to drive. I am much happier now.
I know what you went through, it sucks. What did you buy?

Old 10-11-2008 | 11:51 AM
Apple
6th Gear
yea what did you get?

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:01 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I need help. I live in New York State.

My MINI is in for the 6th time for service and I picked him up in April of 2008. I started having problems in May. They were aware of the problem in May #1, in June it went in 2 times, in July once, in August once, in September was called but just got car last week. It is always the same issue Transmission warning icon and they can't seem to fix it. I have all my paperwork and emails from the dealership. I am ready to declare this vehicle as a lemon and I want a new vehicle.

What should I do? What are everybody's opinions? I have had scratch marks on my car from when they have done previous work also.

AEM421 good luck to you. I know exactly how you feel or felt.

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:31 AM
GregO
4th Gear
lemon

6 times for the exact same problem??? I'd give the dealer one chance for buyback; after that, I'd contact a lemonlaw attorney and let them run with it. Contact your state's lemonlaw counsel.

Originally Posted by MJB MINI

My MINI is in for the 6th time for service and I picked him up in April of 2008. I started having problems in May. They were aware of the problem in May #1, in June it went in 2 times, in July once, in August once, in September was called but just got car last week. It is always the same issue Transmission warning icon and they can't seem to fix it. I have all my paperwork and emails from the dealership. I am ready to declare this vehicle as a lemon and I want a new vehicle.

What should I do? What are everybody's opinions? I have had scratch marks on my car from when they have done previous work also.

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:51 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
6 times for the exact same problem??? I'd give the dealer one chance for buyback; after that, I'd contact a lemonlaw attorney and let them run with it. Contact your state's lemonlaw counsel.

Yes 6 times for the same problem. They have my vehicle now and are attempting to fix it. I don't think it is possible.

Thanks for your advice

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:55 AM
Apple
6th Gear

The auto do that, they have been for awhile, as per my mechanic, NY has great lemon laws...talk to someone and start the paperwork

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:08 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
The auto do that, they have been for awhile, as per my mechanic, NY has great lemon laws...talk to someone and start the paperwork

I know the automatics are doing that, I post on that thread also. The thing is the ones that had their shifter mechanism replaced are not having the problem any longer. In my case I had the shifter replaced and I am still having the problem so I believe my car is a lemon.

Old 10-12-2008 | 01:05 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I know the automatics are doing that, I post on that thread also. The thing is the ones that had their shifter mechanism replaced are not having the problem any longer. In my case I had the shifter replaced and I am still having the problem so I believe my car is a lemon.
Probably is, I guess see what MINI says or trade it in got a great price for mine>

Old 10-12-2008 | 01:12 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Probably is, I guess see what MINI says or trade it in got a great price for mine>
yeah, I agree

The thing is I was on a website where you could a free vin check. I didn't purchase it I just wanted to see how many reports they have on my MINI. Well anyways only three came up, that is not true. I have records and emails etc.... calls into roadside assistance. It is all documented. I know NY law says four attempts. I just wonder what they are trying to pull.

Old 10-25-2008 | 11:12 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
WOW aem421 I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal! I just wish you would have had a dealer like ours here in Louisiana. I had almost the exact same experience with my 2nd mini that i've had since april 07. It has been in the shop 5 times in the last 2 months. The last 3 times were because of things that the Dealer screwed up. I talked to my SA today and without question they are buying back my mini and going to let me order a new one. I didn't even have to get Mini Usa Involved. It really sucks when a dealer doesn't go that extra mile to make sure a customer is satisifed. I could never leave the Mini family though. Allthough I have driven cars that are bigger, ride better and have better stero's (aside from the Pre 07 HK SYSTEMS) I haven't driven anything funner than the mini yet or cost less to maintain not even an RX8, evo, or wrx. As many times as she's been in the shop the only out of pocket money i've spent is on Gas. I hope your new car / dealer isn't as much of a headache as the mini / townsen dealer but if you ever decide to come back I'm sure another mini won't treat you the same. My first mini was never in the shop like this one. Good luck with everything!