Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant gurgles at 2000 rpm Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
mikesminicooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a new engine put in my 2006 mini cooper 5 speed
Due to water lock (checked the block)
After about 3 days I checked the coolant and it was almost gone
I stooped at the dealer and told them it was almost gone and it makes a gurgling noise when I am at rest and rev it up to 2000 rpm or pulling off from a stop it will do it to

They herd the noise. Drove the car around back came after 10 minutes and said “ the tech said this is not uncommon its just the coolant moving threw the hoses at that rpm it will do it and other mini will do it

Well i know with the old engine it never made this noise
has anyone ever herd of this?

It sounds like water gurgling and sloshing around like shacking a water bottle that is ¾ full

If not just say no So i can let my dealer know this is not a typical noise

Thank you

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
You noticing any spikes in the temp gauge? It might just be air pockets in the coolant system working their way out, which would explain the coolant being low when checked. I dont know how hard it is to get air pockets out of the mini coolant system, but I had the same issue with my Pontiac after changing the coolant, took a couple of days to work itself out.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
mikesminicooper
1st Gear
its been about 2 weeks now and no sign of the noise going away
and the temp is always right in the middle of the gauge like always

it very well could just be air pockets

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Well just be careful, because those air pockets are hot spots. And hot spots are not good for the engine. Nothing like warping a head or something...2 week? I think I would get it looked at...

Originally Posted by mikesminicooper
its been about 2 weeks now and no sign of the noise going away
and the temp is always right in the middle of the gauge like always

it very well could just be air pockets

Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Shmoo
1st Gear
Shouldn't take this long to assess the situation. I'm new to minis, but there should be a bleeder to work out the bubbles, or leave the cap off and let the bubbles work their way through the system.

Are you sure that the 'gurgling' sound you hear is not the coolant boiling? I'm sure the dealership has premixed, but could be a possibility of too much water in the mix.

I would let the car sit idle and keep pouring in coolant as it goes low. It's not helping any if the coolant is 'almost gone', while the system is trying to pull more coolant...that just pushes more air into the system. If you leave the radiator cap off, you should see the bubbles come up eventually (within 5-10 min). Remember to NEVER do this on a warm engine (just in case you are new to working on cars).

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experience what you are hearing is air bubbles in the cooling system. You are hearing them work their way through the heater core. Make sure to keep the cooling system topped up with a 50/50 mix of coolant.

The MINI uses a sealed system & will not burp the air out unless the cap is left loose or the air bleed valve is opened. That is what the dealer needs to do. Get back to the dealer & have them bleed the air out of the system. I very much doubt you are hurting your engine as long as you aren't seeing overheating. But you still need to have the issue addressed.