Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Lost all power at gas station, jumped and now fine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost all power at gas station, jumped and now fine

I've owned my 04 Cooper S for over 4 weeks now, driving it daily. Last night after work I drove about 4 miles to the nearest gas station and filled up my car. When I went to start it, there was just a click and then all power completely died. There was absolutely no power.

I had two people attempt to jump it. Both times my car had power and interior lights came on, but turning the ignition would just cause a clicking noise from the engine compartment. The ending was not turning over at all. I pushed the car over to the side of the gas station and called AAA. They came out with a tow truck that had a heavy duty juming system and were able to jump it first attempt. I drove home 10 miles keeping the revs up to charge the battery.

This morning, the car started fine. I went to kragen and they tested the battery with a handheld battery tester and said the battery was good.

What could have happened?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
ajakeski
4th Gear
Check the cable and connections. There is an explosive device to disconnect the battery in case of a crash. The connection there may be bad.
You would have to check the cable with an ohm meter from the battery to the connection on the engine.
Or you're battery is shorting and you need a new one.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Same exact thing happened to me... I called up a friend to pick me up so we could go get my battery tested at Autozone. After the associate there checked my battery and determined all was well, we looked at each other dumbfounded and went back to my car. Once I reinstalled the battery, it started right up with no issue. This happened a little over a year ago and no problem since.

GotMINI

Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Neufusion
4th Gear
I think it was just a loose battery cable.

I can't believe Brecht MINI didn't catch it when they did their $375 oil change / inspection. You'd think by paying that much money, they would check your battery cables.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After several years, you can get some corrosion between the post and the bat cable clamp that you don't even see. You can get enough power through the corrosion to run some accessories but not enough to start the car. After you bump and fiddle with the bat terminals during a jump start or removing the bat for testing, you inadvertently are cleaning or moving the corrosion around a little bit for a while. Your bat seems fine for a while, but the corrosion comes back and you get stranded again. Remove and clean your bat terminals and the insides of the cable clamps.

YD

Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Neufusion
I think it was just a loose battery cable.

I can't believe Brecht MINI didn't catch it when they did their $375 oil change / inspection. You'd think by paying that much money, they would check your battery cables.

thats like a years supply of mcnuggets