Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How many days has your car spent in the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCR1960
...your Service & Warranty handbook on page 31 there is a section for Customer Assistance-Notification which tells you how to contact MINI and what procedures you need to take.
I would also let the Sales Manager know so he could help you with the claim.

Many thanks JCR1960. I am driving to the dealership today for a scheduled meeting with the sales manager and while there I will retrieve the service handbook which is safely tucked away in the glove box of the car which I haven't seen for a week.

As far as the lemon law goes it is my second option but I have already identified the legal firm that I will retain. I was unpleasantly reminded of the importance of the Better Business Bureau ratings when the attorneys showed me this dealership's rating which is a C (ratings start at AAA and decline to AA-A, BBB-BB-B, CCC-CC-C). I would have driven 200 miles to buy the car at the next nearest dealership which is rated an A.

First though I will work through Mini USA and the dealer to get the issue resolved. Today's meeting with the sales manager is the first step toward that goal.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
5 months and 7300 miles, zero days in shop. I changed the oil and filter myself..........love the car......had a few rattles, but I hunt them down and fix them.......all new cars have them. Happy so far.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My dealer included Florida's Lemon Law booklet in with my other books and manuals, happily I have had no need for it.

A friend had a beautiful Car (Altima??) that was a Lemon with all the requirements and documents for the Florida Lemon Law,
but she was just two days late on the final claim ~~ no solution possible for her.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
My dealer included Florida's Lemon Law booklet in with my other books and manuals, happily I have had no need for it.
Oddly my dealership didn't include the Florida Lemon Law booklet when I bought my MCSa back in April even though every other car I had purchased in the past always had a copy of it in with the owners manual.I will have to contact them because they should by law include it.

This is taken right from the Florida Attorney General-Lemon Law:
When consumers buy or lease a new or demonstrator motor vehicle, they must receive from the selling dealer or lessor the "Consumer Guide to the Florida Lemon Law." This publication explains consumer rights, gives steps to follow to resolve problems, contains a toll-free number for the Lemon Law Hotline and a form the consumer can use to notify the manufacturer of chronic defects and time out of service for repair.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Banjo
2nd Gear
Hmm..Picked up my car in mid may. First day, service engine light came on. Brought it back day later, they reset the computer. A few weeks later, service engine comes on and car is stuck in 2nd gear (automatic). In shop three days. Had to replace a bunch of fuses. This weekend, same thing happens, bringing it in tomorrow. Hopefully they will fix it. Oh, and they forgot to put in the rear seat locks so I can lower the seat backs on the cabrio. the locks came in so they will put them in as well. Hopefully that will be it.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Corey986
3rd Gear
4,000 miles and about 3 months old and 3 weeks 1 day in the shop...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Banjo
First day, service engine light came on. Brought it back day later, they reset the computer. A few weeks later, service engine comes on and car is stuck in 2nd gear (automatic). In shop three days. Had to replace a bunch of fuses. This weekend, same thing happens, bringing it in tomorrow.
Three strikes, right? Time for a letter to Mini USA just to start documenting what has been taking place. All the best going forward.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
18,000 miles. In the shop about 3 hours to
do a computer reflash of the emissions software
after a couple weeks of ownership.
(note with the drive had to take a day off of work)

Not a single problem since then.

(well, the dash rattles a little AFTER they put in
the stuff for the anti rattle campaign, but I won't
drive 120 miles for a rattle)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Apple
6th Gear
over a month old 0 days

Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
05 Cabrio-4 years old next month-36K miles.

I've lost count I'd lemon it but MO laws say it has to be 4 times for the same problem. I'm at 3.5 on the roof All the other visits have been for different problems too numerous to mention anymore But I'm keeping the MINI because she has virtually all new parts

Lois

Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by StLouieLo
I've lost count.... I'd lemon it but MO laws say it has to be 4 times for the same problem.
Lois you should still involve Mini USA customer relations and ask for some consideration such as a warranty extension or other form of compensation. Maybe an assisted trade-in for a 2009? All the best.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
3200 miles clubman s Automatic,,,,, It is going on a tow truck like any minute and being taken to the dealer 145 miles away.. The torque converter WILL NOT disengage at a stop... may be electronic as the engine idle is WAY OFF ALSO... time will tell... Any others have automatic problems like the one I just described?????? Three dealers I called had never had this problem.. OR HAVE THEY and they are trained to NOT ADMIT it..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
7,400 Miles, since March 31st, 0 issues, 0 days in shop. Good thing too, because it's 280 miles away.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
janetmc
2nd Gear
uh. . . .mine hasn't been delivered, yet but it is already in the shop for body work. always remember measure twice, or even thrice, then drill once. a simple reminder for any techs who might be reading.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by janetmc
uh. . . .mine hasn't been delivered, yet but it is already in the shop for body work.
Pre Delivery Inspection woes?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Well, for all the woes out there... I have had 0 problems, and I'm just over 1000 miles. No squeaks, and one super minor rattle that I solved by pushing the speaker grille.

This car is absolutely awesome... I was swayed by the amount of problems on this forum, but I have come to a conclusion that this car is rock solid.

Maybe they just tested mine more... I had twelve miles on the odometer when I picked it up, and it just came off the dealers truck a few hours prior. Ah, well...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Lois you should still involve Mini USA customer relations and ask for some consideration such as a warranty extension or other form of compensation. Maybe an assisted trade-in for a 2009? All the best.
Thanks for the info I think I may give it a try. We have been considering a 09 Clubman. And the Cabrio will probably be the trade in, not the 03 Cooper.

Lois

Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
richs10
5th Gear
08 Clubman S, 2 months old, 2700 miles.
No problems to speak of.
No days in shop.
(I did wait about 1 hour for the swap to a correct color armrest and a new bonnet stripe right after delivery)

Very happy so far!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
GregO
4th Gear
shop

9 days with more to come...

April 2008 MC

Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Good thinking lurch but considering that this dealer can not master one bug at a time I'd hate to think what they'll do when attacked by two or three bugs at once.

Himmelkreuzdonnerwettersakrament (German for "darn"), I don't even want to think about it!
You could always say scheiBen! Same kind of frustration expressed there!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
You could always say scheiBen! Same kind of frustration expressed there!

Thanks Beasleyboy, I was just trying to keep it clean...

Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jimmiejo
5 months and 7300 miles, zero days in shop. I changed the oil and filter myself..........love the car......had a few rattles, but I hunt them down and fix them.......all new cars have them. Happy so far.

If I change the oil and filter myself, will that void my warranty? There are little PDAs that they hook up to the car. They can find out anything, including your average speed. Does your dealer know you do your own oil changes? I plan to do mine because I don't trust BMW's schedule. It sounds too stretched out. A LOT of other Mini owners are also feeling uncomfortable with it.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
If I change the oil and filter myself, will that void my warranty? There are little PDAs that they hook up to the car. They can find out anything, including your average speed. Does your dealer know you do your own oil changes? I plan to do mine because I don't trust BMW's schedule. It sounds too stretched out. A LOT of other Mini owners are also feeling uncomfortable with it.
Many here on NAM have including myself had the oil and oil filter changed before the CBS recommends it.I paid my dealership when I asked for it at 5000 miles as they will only do it free once a year or at 15K miles whichever comes first.

As long as you use the recommended oil and oil filter your warranty should be fine.Plus keep all of the receipts for your records.BTW there is an entire thread dedicated to changing your own oil and how to do it.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I took delivery of "Sunny" on 7.16.2008. On 8.8.08 @ 760 miles, I started the car up to go to work and the air bag warning light & buzzer came on. Buzzer shut-off but light did not. Made appointment for Wednesday, 8.13.08. When I called in the afternoon I was told the Air Bag Module had failed, but since they didn't have one, they would have to order it. Next day (Thursday) when I called they said they could not locate one in U.S., it would have to come from Germany.
This is a car that is less than one month old!!
I spoke to the SA on the following Monday afternoon and she said that after over thirty calls to Mini, they finally got a response. (This what she claimed!) The part would ship the next day (Tuesday) from Germany and they should receive part on Thursday. The car was fixed on Friday and ready for pick-up. That was nine days at the dealer due to a part that was unavailable.
They gave me a 2007 Saab 9.3 to drive and treated me well. However, parts should be more readily available. Nine days in the shop!
"Sunny" is now healthy and a wonderfully fun car to drive!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
...they said they could not locate one in U.S., it would have to come from Germany.
One wonders why parts for a car built in England have to come from Germany and then one wonders at the cavalier attitude of BMW treating the US market with such indifference as to not have proper stocks of spares.

When I get appointed to the Dept. of Transportation job I will initiate legislation that car owners must be compensated in hard cash for every day that their car is inoperable due to the non availability of spare parts.

Let's hope that Sunny stays healthy because I doubt that I will get the appointment.

Quick Reply: How many days has your car spent in the shop?