Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How many days has your car spent in the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008 | 10:22 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I understand what you're saying. My dealer is also a BMW dealer and it appears the parts supply chain comes through Germany. However, you share my sentiments exactly, why an inadequate parts inventory?

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:39 AM
Ian Venieri
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
..... why an inadequate parts inventory?
Probably because the BMW management may be looking at the Mini experience as something of a nuisance that they regret having taken upon themselves in the first place.

It reminds me of another BMW ill fated acquisition in 1966 when they purchased and then run down a nice little car company by the name of Glas in Dingolfing, Germany.

Right now there are rumors in Italy that BMW is trying to share the Mini brand with Fiat and have the cars built in a Fiat plant. If true one can understand why they are not paying much attention to the Oxford activities.

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:52 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Well, that is a long term strategy they may be exploring but the short term reality was they paid Enterprise Car Rental for leasing me a car for thirteen days. I would think the cost of the car rental was much more than the cost of stocking my replacement part!

Old 06-05-2009 | 02:33 PM
liquidyellow9
Neutral
How did they fix your hydrolocked motor?

Hi,
I also recently had my motor hydrolock. What did the dealership do to fix your problem? I'd love to read your receipt. Did they change the motor? How did you hydrolock it? How fast were you going?

Originally Posted by SashaSolitaire
3 years since purchase.

Days in shop : 8 (totally my stupidity..getting the engine hydrolocked!! )

Beyond that been in the shop half a day (twice) for scheduled service!!

Going strong now...

Old 06-05-2009 | 02:46 PM
Riffster
4th Gear

This thread makes me nervous.

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:34 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
1 year ownership = 1 day in shop (service, hood scoop, exhaust campaign)

Old 06-10-2009 | 10:23 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I know I'm going to jinx myself but here it goes... 1 year and 7,000 miles (yeah, low miles) no shop time. Did have a window dipper problem with the passenger window about three times and then it went away and my front brake pads were clacking away on bumps after 3 weeks of ownership but I fixed those myself. No current issues, knock on wood!

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:47 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Riffster

This thread makes me nervous.
I wouldn't worry too much. Remember most people are more motivated to complain than to praise, and what you're seeing here is the distilled results of those complaints.

I've had my MCS for 14 months, 22,000 miles: 3 services for 4 days. First to diagnose a fuel tank level sensor problem. The second was to install the new sensors, replace the scoop and do the exhaust tips (an extra day to let the paint dry and sheer luck that I brought the car in on the first day of that campaign). Third was the normal service.

Old 06-11-2009 | 11:25 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
21 months 70k+ and has never seen a shop since the day of delivery. I did have a bad catalytic converter that I replaced.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 06-19-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2009 | 09:49 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
I'm kind of embarrassed to say but my mini has been in the shop somewhere in the neighborhood of 32-35 times in the 2 years I've had her. I've spent about half a year all together away from her. Funny b/c i'm actually in a loaner mini now and haven't had mine since the 1st day of the dragon at the end of April! I brought her in for service in feb and they fixed the timing chain tensioner and a few other things and changed my oil. Well I get to the dragon and the tensioner starts acting up again and either breaks or is REAALY messed up. Sounded lik someone put marbles in the engine. Mini roadside towed her to greenville mini who did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING But say I was low on oil in which case I wasn't b/c I had checked it before I left and also didn't have any lights on. Got my car shipped back last week, drove 45 each way to get her just to find that she isn't fixed. So back in the shop she went to get the whole timing chain and assambilly replaced per the puma report that was recently released on that issue. I'm going to be trading her for a new mini once I get her back. Problem is I got slightly behind on notes due to surgery and am not eligible for a buyback until I get caught up. On the other hand, Mini usa is working to get a month of my lease paid. I already had a month credited when she was in the shop for 1 1/2 months in nov /dec of 07. ARRRRG. I miss my R-53 at times but I also bought mine 2 months before they even came out b/c I totaled my R-53 in a serious accident. Hopefully my new one won't give me these issues. Funny side story, My loaner has the abs / dsc lights on issue. haha Maybe i'm just bad luck with mini's now.

Last edited by wildone3c; 06-19-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2009 | 06:31 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Not to diminish the real anguish of those MINI owners who've had problems but just to report one for the 'other side'. I've had my MINI for 10 months, ~18,000 miles and have had no problems with it. To be honest, I read similar threads before I ordered and shared the doubts many have expressed here. I feel like I've been lucky, and that may be all there is to it.

To those who have had numerous problems--my sincere sympathy 'cuz that's just wrong (especially if the dealers are supportive). But there are some of us who've had nothing but joyful Motoring from Day 1.

Old 06-23-2009 | 09:22 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tedswoods
Not to diminish the real anguish of those MINI owners who've had problems but just to report one for the 'other side'. I've had my MINI for 10 months, ~18,000 miles and have had no problems with it. To be honest, I read similar threads before I ordered and shared the doubts many have expressed here. I feel like I've been lucky, and that may be all there is to it.

To those who have had numerous problems--my sincere sympathy 'cuz that's just wrong (especially if the dealers are supportive). But there are some of us who've had nothing but joyful Motoring from Day 1.
Sympathy also for those with issues.

But I have 10.5K miles on my 9 month old car and it will go to the dealer next week for the first time since purchase for scheduled maintenance. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by this reply