Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The mysterious "ding"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
jmduke3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mysterious "ding"

Alrighty I am new to the community with just picking up my 05 Cooper S Convertible w/JCW.

Here is my problem that I wanted to throw out to you guys and gals in hopes that this will fall to many minds for an answer.

The keyfob does not work on my car. It will pair up to another Mini, but not mine. Dealer can read off of the key as well. To go along with this is when you open up either door the car will start "ding'ing"! The third thing that goes along with this is the alarm functions in the matter if you put your hand in the car with the top down the alarm will go off...but no horn.

I have a good feeling that these three things are tied together. I wanted to see if anyone here has a good idea with this one or any idea.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The dinging....were the lights on by chance?
The remote key not working....try swapping the rear view mirror off of the working car to yours. "Reading" the key can done via the EWS which is a seperate function of the key, Remote operation and EWS immobilization are 2 different functions of the key and one can work without the other. I am assuming that this is what they meant by "reading the key". The remote signal can be measured a few ways. One by tagging into a wire from the mirror and watching it on the O-scope.
The alarm....the horn is not part of the alarm, the siren is the only thing that will sound in the event that it is triggered.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 AM
jmduke3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chadtoolio
The dinging....were the lights on by chance?
No lights on. This happens everytime a door is opened. You unlock and open...ding'ing, you take the key out...ding'ing. As long as the key is not in the on position the car be ding'ing!
The remote key not working....try swapping the rear view mirror off of the working car to yours.
I have done this. No worky worky. Even have a second key and that will not work.
"Reading" the key can done via the EWS which is a seperate function of the key, Remote operation and EWS immobilization are 2 different functions of the key and one can work without the other. I am assuming that this is what they meant by "reading the key".
Yes, that is what I meant by reading key...thanks for telling me the name of this now!
The remote signal can be measured a few ways. One by tagging into a wire from the mirror and watching it on the O-scope.
This one will be fun I am sure. You wouldn't happen to have wiring diagram for this system, or know where I may locate one?
The alarm....the horn is not part of the alarm, the siren is the only thing that will sound in the event that it is triggered.
I must find the siren then!

Thanks for the help! Anyone else got an idea on the dinging?????

Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. If you still have warranty take it back, the dealer will try harder to fix the problem in order to keep the sale. Don't put up with electrical problems on a car you just bought. (If not an "as is" sale.)

2. Take it to a shop that understands the Mini and have the electrical wiring checked.

The past owner may have had aftermarket electronics in the car and crossed things up.

Just a thought.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
jmduke3
1st Gear
Do not think there was anything aftermarket hooked up, car was pretty clean.

Any ideas where I can get a wiring diagrams for the car so that way I have a better idea on shooting wires on this?

Anymore thoughts on the dinging????

Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmduke3
Do not think there was anything aftermarket hooked up, car was pretty clean.

Any ideas where I can get a wiring diagrams for the car so that way I have a better idea on shooting wires on this?

Anymore thoughts on the dinging????
1) Bentley manual.
2) Earplugs?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jmduke3
No lights on. This happens everytime a door is opened. You unlock and open...ding'ing, you take the key out...ding'ing. As long as the key is not in the on position the car be ding'ing!
I have done this. No worky worky. Even have a second key and that will not work.

Yes, that is what I meant by reading key...thanks for telling me the name of this now!
This one will be fun I am sure. You wouldn't happen to have wiring diagram for this system, or know where I may locate one?
I must find the siren then!

Thanks for the help! Anyone else got an idea on the dinging?????
Dinging revisited...Does the car think a key is still in the ignition. Are you sure there isn't any aftermarket alarm installed and a key attached to the torroidial coil(ring around ignition switch) for remote start?

Remote...have the keys been reinitialized after the mirror swap?

Is the siren in the factory location? It should be below the pass side of windshield under the hood.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
The signal from the Remote key at the mirror is Pins 2 and 8. Pin 8 is 12v and Pin 2 is the signal back to the GM.