Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Keep or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep or sell?

Looking for an opinion...or several. Referring to this thread, I've had repeated overheats. It hasn't been determined for sure, but it looks like my head is warped and leaking. Significant portions of my cooling system have been replaced en route to finding the real problem.

A coworker who is an automotive engineer has followed my story and has suggested that once I get the car back I should get rid of it, that I'll likely have problems forever.

The idea of trading up to an '09 does appeal to me, but at the same time I've invested quite a bit of time and $$ getting my car where I want it (mostly bling, a little performance stuff).

Deal or no deal?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with your VW buddy, get it back, and prepped for sale. You could always take most of the "bling" off your car, purchase another 05-06 MCS, and start all over again? But honestly, it would take incredibly amounts of gumption to go that route.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I'm thinking remove what I can, and if it fits an R56 great, and if not, sell it here or on eBay.

Gumption is the perfect word...some of those things were extremely stressful trying to DIY them with my limited skill set and doing them again would be too much.

The one kicker is the custom boot box a friend built for me and I suspect won't fit in an R56. I stressed over the design for that for months, waited several more months for him to be available to build it, and now he's moved away and I couldn't make another if I chose to.

I really don't want another R53...I loved it, but the gas mileage of the R56 and the additional warranty (I'm a little paranoid right now) and the fact I want to buy a new car spec'ed the way I want it, not the way somebody else wanted it leads me to a new '09.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
A 2006 should still be under warranty. Have MINI fix the problem. If they don't, rely on the Moss-Magnusen Act to have BMW compensate you for the shortcommings. I have successfully used www.lemonlaw.com to resolve a chronic problem I had on my '02.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I realize an '06 would still be under warranty, but I always have issues with used cars...when someone knows he's gonna trade up, they often drive the crap out of it. Then, down the road the problems show up. That's usually when I have it. Don't want to go down that road again if I can help it.

Nevada lemon law requires the car to be in the shop 30 days in the first year which doesn't apply. over 30 days, but the problem started at the 14 month point. That said, I may go to MINIUSA and see what they'll do for me. I had a couple of them schmoozing me at MTTS-LA when I showed up without my car. They "promised" to help" get this solved...so far not a lot of visible support has come my way. We'll see how this plays out.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
I realize an '06 would still be under warranty, but I always have issues with used cars...when someone knows he's gonna trade up, they often drive the crap out of it. Then, down the road the problems show up. That's usually when I have it. Don't want to go down that road again if I can help it.

Nevada lemon law requires the car to be in the shop 30 days in the first year which doesn't apply. over 30 days, but the problem started at the 14 month point. That said, I may go to MINIUSA and see what they'll do for me. I had a couple of them schmoozing me at MTTS-LA when I showed up without my car. They "promised" to help" get this solved...so far not a lot of visible support has come my way. We'll see how this plays out.
I was thinking your current MINI is still under warranty. If so, get MINI to fix the problem and stand by that particular issue for the life of the car as long as you own it. As you mention, none of the state's lemon laws would cover you at this point, but M/M will. Consulting with an attorney at LemonLaw.com is free, and under M/M, BMW is obligated to pay their fees.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I don't see how M/M fits. I admit I haven't gone through it in detail but it's my understanding that it's primarily to ensure that aftermarket parts don't arbitrarily void warranties and put into place the framework for states to have lemon laws. If it would help me here then I'm all for it. I have a Lawyer relative that I'm sure could draft up something official and through it on his letterhead to get the ball rolling.

All that said, I thought I might try to get MINI to document in writing that the engine core would be covered for life given it's history, but I also admit that's unlikely. By M/M any damage related to incidents occurring under warranty or themselves covered so...

Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
I don't see how M/M fits. I admit I haven't gone through it in detail but it's my understanding that it's primarily to ensure that aftermarket parts don't arbitrarily void warranties and put into place the framework for states to have lemon laws. If it would help me here then I'm all for it. I have a Lawyer relative that I'm sure could draft up something official and through it on his letterhead to get the ball rolling.

All that said, I thought I might try to get MINI to document in writing that the engine core would be covered for life given it's history, but I also admit that's unlikely. By M/M any damage related to incidents occurring under warranty or themselves covered so...

The aftermarket parts issue is just a small piece of M/M. M/M relates mostly to failed attempts to repair problems that are under warranty. If an issue keeps recurring, (for example its been in the shop several times for the same issue that keeps coming back), the manufacturer has an obligation to to offer reparations, such as vehicle replacement or cash offer. As I suggest, contact the attorneys at lemonlaw.com and they can advise you if you have a valid claim. Wait until after the warranty expires and you are scr..ed. Their consultation is free and they were successful in my case.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Thanks for the info...I'll be looking into it shortly.