Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Antifreeze/Coolant Top-up question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that my coolant level was running about a half inch below the minimum line when I checked it cold. I called MINIUSA and asked if there was any specific brand they recommended and they told me to read that section in the manual because they didn't recommend a specific brand but "hinted at what kind to use"!!!??

Anyway, I picked up some PEAK on the way home which I decided to buy because it was the only alternative to those creepy antifreeze/coolant/winshield washer (!) things. The bottle said to do a flush of the radiator before filling, but I'm lazy (and perhaps stupid?). I added about 10-12 ounces of the PEAK (until it was about a quarter inch south of the MAX line) and then I topped it up with water to just above the MAX line.

Question is...this PEAK stuff looks green, and the original coolant looked to be blue...after reading several threads here about coolant, it looks like MINI starts with blue stuff.

Question is: was it OK to mix the green with the blue? Should I have flushed the whole system before adding? Does the water to coolant ratio need to be EXACT?

Did I screw anything up?

Maxwell

Old 09-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Chitown_COOP
OK. I'm going outside to change my oil. When I get back, I expect to have answers here!

Please?

Pretty please?

Old 09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Chitown_COOP
With a cherry on top?

Does no one have any help for me at all?

Old 09-05-2003, 10:39 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if the Peak is OK or not. It is my understanding that the antifreeze that BMW/MINIs use is the same as Zerex Extreme Life Coolant. I also recall a post either here or on MINI2 about Havoline Extended Life coolant being OK, as well.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28446

See ya,
JS

Old 09-05-2003, 10:45 AM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
This is just my opinion....

When I took delivery of my MCS in New York, I pointed out that the coolent level was near the bottom of the tank. It was taken to service for toppig up.

256 miles on the clock, just begining my 2000 mi trip home, the coolant tank ruptured. The car was flatbedded to a Virginia dealer and a new tank installed.

After arriving home I noticed that the tank was low and brought it up near the Max line. Shortly after that it overheated again. I loosened the cap to relieve some of the pressure, but the tank had already sprung a leak.

At the first service the tank was again replaced, and coolant replaced to a level just above the minium leval. I have 20k miles now, and so far it's OK.

This leads me to believe that overfilling reduces the air volume in the tank for expansion. could this be a contributing to failure of the tank? It seems like water can not be compressed... As long as there is an inch of water in the tank when it's cold I don't fool with it.

Ann Jones

Old 09-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Chitown_COOP
Good God...I just finished reading that article on MINI2. What is the matter with these MINI-USA people? Are they all taught to act coy for giggles?

I called this morning and asked straight out what brand to use and they wouldn't tell me. Looks like the people on MINI2 have had the same issue. What's the deal???

Old 09-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Its311pete
2nd Gear
Yes you can mix the BMW blue coolant with your tipical green anti-freeze.
Check your feezing point in your coolant and depending on where you live and how
cold the winters are, you probably will be able to just top it off with water.
Again check your freezing point before throwing some water in there.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:36 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Next to the front windshield's cracking, probably the second biggest problem is the coolent resevoir leaking. In 02 and 03's they are notorious for leaking for a variety of problems. The most common problem is a seal inside the tank. I wouldn't be too concerned about what color coolent you put into the bottle, the manufacturers apply color to distinguish between the different brands, like copyrighting, but watch the level, if it goes down again prematurly take the car back to the dealer and have them install a new reservoir bottle.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to resurrect this ancient thread because it popped up when I was about to ask about the exact same question.

In my 05 MCSC. hadn't checked my level in a while and when I did recently it was at or just below min. When I checked it today it was about an inch below min. I got worried so I got what they had at the nearest auto store. It was Peak (green) for all makes and models - Is this ok? I was going to get that Zerex stuff that I read was recommended but didn't find any.

Bottom line - did I mess up :(

PS - taking it in for some warranty work (4 hours away) to the dealer next week and didn't want to bring it in 'empty' for fear of warranty.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Over the years I noticed that all cars have a typical level that the cooling system likes to be at, the rest gets blown out the overflow tube. From what I read in here and what I seen in mine, it appears the resevoir likes to be right around the MIN mark. Yours is no different than mine, and as long as your car isnt overheating and there is coolant in the resevoir, I wouldnt worry too much about the level. I did add about a cup of distilled water to bring it up to level, but it wasnt a necessity. I wouldnt worry about slightly low coolant level, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Going to resurrect this ancient thread because it popped up when I was about to ask about the exact same question.

In my 05 MCSC. hadn't checked my level in a while and when I did recently it was at or just below min. When I checked it today it was about an inch below min. I got worried so I got what they had at the nearest auto store. It was Peak (green) for all makes and models - Is this ok? I was going to get that Zerex stuff that I read was recommended but didn't find any.

Bottom line - did I mess up :(

PS - taking it in for some warranty work (4 hours away) to the dealer next week and didn't want to bring it in 'empty' for fear of warranty.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Antifreeze/Coolant Top-up question

My guess is that that little bit you added should not matter.
According to the Peak web site it's compatible with others so not to worry.

As Lordgrinz has said in his post the level of the coolant in the tank should be at the min mark.
When looking into the tank the fins at the bottom of the tank should be just slightly higher than the coolant.

Mini coolant tanks are not recovery tanks.
If the coolant tank is overfilled pressure may cause it to leak at the seam.

Hope this helps...

Old 06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Thanks for the help. Don't think I overfilled but it's darn hard to see the coolant in the tank :(

Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Lots of stuff posted on this, but the easy answer is use any good A/F labeled "Extended Life". And to make it really easy, buy the 50/50 premix. Good to go right out of the jug.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being from the VW world with an E36 M3 thrown in (both quite intolerant of cheap antifreezes), I am paranoid about coolant... As such, I only run manufacturer brand coolants (G12 in the VW and MINI-brand in the MINI's) and distilled water. I've seen too many MINI's with brown goop in the coolant tank (result of mixing non-compatible antifreezes) to even think of using anything but MINI coolant.

People whine about the cost, but IMHO, the cost difference isn't enough to justify to risk (clogged coolant passages - it DOES happen). In a world with $4/gal gas... spending $20/gal (plus $1/gal for distilled water) for the piece of mind of running the correct coolant doesn't seem out of line.

But I also know there are stubborn cheap-skates who will argue I'm full of crap until the cows come home... that's their choice... fortunately, I'll never own their car...