Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Cell phone ate my Mini....................

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 04:39 PM
saucerman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answer: DON'T get a cell phone. You CAN live without one.

WOW - what a concept. Call me old-fashioned, but I heartily agree. Cars are for driving, phones are for talking and restaurants are for eating. Only a fool or an American would confuse the three. I go with the Click 'n Clack bumper sticker on this one: HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Old 09-12-2002, 07:17 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
Point is well taken about none of us being an expert in cell phone technology.
>>

Most of the digital cell phones will "select down" to analog, if they are unable to detect a digital signal after a given period of time. We had the same problem when I was working in one of the fancy new office buildings with "all glass" exterior surfaces. It seems the windows were coated with a metalized vapor deposited "film", and the cell phones were almost useless inside.

That's probably what happened to the cell phone inside Gosharks' MINI; and that "may" be one of the reasons that BMW cautions against using the phones. Can you imagine the law suits: window's down, phone works great; driver rolls the windows up, loses signal, swears, swerves & crashes.... then sues BMW.

I like the idea best about not using the phone, and enjoying the Motoring!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:12 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
Yikes!! I was talking on my cellphone today and my warning sticker came off-- is this made for Twilight Zone script or what??

I think i'm switching back to pre cell phone technology-- the passenger seat. When I want to talk with someone-- i'll drive over, put them in the passenger seat, and drive and talk... and I don't have to recharge the passenger seat-- what a concept..

Old 09-12-2002, 08:29 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>>
>>
>>
>>Cheers!
>>Clover

Clover, Thx! Really it's not the driving on the roof that so funny, it's my toes sticking out of those fancy driving gloves.... also have tried to play patty-cake with the windshield wipers when it rains....
Steve
>>

Old 09-12-2002, 09:28 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Don't worry about it. I am a RF Engineer for ATT Wireless. That's what I do is test phones and design the tower placements here in Dallas. The uplink signal on all new handhelds is less than 1 dBm when you have good downlink signal and if you have a GSM phone it's even less. I have heard that today in automotive design or electronic circuitry schools they no longer teach RF shielding which is bad but that was in the early 90s and I think they have stepped things up since then since we are in this UHF to MicroWave age..

Old 09-14-2002, 08:21 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Seems my MINI turns the power off on my cell phone occasionally. (or did I push th e wrong button) hmmmmmmmm!!