Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Cell phone ate my Mini....................

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 03:18 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't use a cell phone in a Mini!!!! I did in my Cooper and had problems with the auto windows not doing their little up and down when I closed the doors. It can affect multiple systems in the vehicle. No problems with my Cooper S as I've only used my cell phone with a magnetic roof mounted antenna......I wouldn't even use a glass mount antenna as the signal bounces all over the inside of the car with those!!!! Read your manuals!!

Old 09-09-2002, 03:30 PM
2minis
6th Gear
This is a Mini recommendation BTW. Use of a cell phone w/o an external antenna, the way I read it, can void your warranty. Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2002, 03:54 PM
dukesantos
2nd Gear
Well, I disagree with their premise. BMW has been putting those warning stickers in all their models for many years and many BMW drivers are seen talking on their phones; I have yet to see any broken down BMWs by the side of the road as a result. I am also a member of BMWCCA and have never read of any warranty issues related to cell phone use. The fact is that the transmitter power of a handheld cell phone is very low, remember you are holding it next to your brain at your skull's thin area, and it is unlikely to cause problems with your vehicles electronics or your brainwaves!

Old 09-09-2002, 04:04 PM
2minis
6th Gear
See. I'm not Einstein but I prefer a cell phone away from my head for the reasons explained here. The Faraday cage effect is a real issue with the electronics in the Mini IMHO.
Faraday Cage in a Car

Old 09-09-2002, 04:18 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Duke,
I also remember ads for Lucky Strikes saying they eased throat irritation. Back in the '50s.

Old 09-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Ack! I can't have a car that I can't use my phone in. what's that all about? Granted, I use an earpiece, but I frequently drive long distances,and often talk on my phone while doing it. Anyone else had problems with this?

Old 09-09-2002, 04:28 PM
2minis
6th Gear
They don't say not to use a cell phone....just not to use one without an external antenna. Read your manual.

Old 09-09-2002, 04:36 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
I use my Nokia 8260 which has an internal antena in it all the time in my MCS. Probably a few hours of use so far. I have had NO problems whatsoever. This sounds like some sort of myth to me.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:01 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
The MINI's a pretty poor Faraday cage... especially with that sunroof! And, regarding the health risks from things like cell phones, it takes time to get good data involving correlations with medical problems. You're probably MUCH more likely to get killed by someone LISTENING to one while driving, than by using it yourself. But whenever this type of thing comes up, you need to evaluate real DATA, not rumors.

You're also not supposed to use cell phones at gas stations (someone changed their battery, created a spark and "WHOOOOSH!&quot.

Old 09-11-2002, 07:20 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Yeah. That's what Phillip Morris said for years....

Old 09-11-2002, 07:36 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That warning was on my windshield sticker that came on the car. Eeeks, I better abide!!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Lizzy,
This is my second Mini....had some electrical issues with the first in which I had used a cellphone. Now driving a new S and no problems with a magnetic roof mounted antenna, unless it rains A google search will find you an outfit that sells them. I don't think the BMW engineers put those stickers on there for no reason

Old 09-11-2002, 08:24 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
I think it may be content specific. I have used my cell phone in my mini, without any problems, as long as I am telling people how much I enjoy my mini. However when I drift from that topic, I find almost an immediate loss of interest in the conversation, and then my phone goes dead, right when I press the off button-- Then I find everything is fine again. Time to get back on that sunroof with that steering wheel gripped firmly in my toes....

Seriously, I haven't had any problems using the cell phone in the mini, except a significant lack of interest using it-- talking has interrupted the delightful experience of driving. I have told people 'I'm gonna drive for awhile, I'll call you back'-- never said that before. I also haven't had any problem with other electronic devices-- electric recorders, radar detector, tape recorder, or my monty python 12volt vibrating hedgehog....

I really can't imagine that a car with that much electronics would have protection from such standard devices-- even the hedgehog (course I guess it's British too). I think it's just a warning to discourage using devices. I wonder if the window problem in the previous post is not related to the use of a cell phone.

Steve

Old 09-11-2002, 09:13 PM
aVjai
2nd Gear
what's the point of getting a phone if you can't even talk in the mini

Old 09-11-2002, 09:46 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Answer: DON'T get a cell phone. You CAN live without one.

I don't have one, but friends who do get NO signal inside my Cooper. It goes right to their voicemail like it was a missed call for being out of the calling area or whatever. Strange.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:12 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>I think it may be content specific. I have used my cell phone in my mini, without any problems, as long as I am telling people how much I enjoy my mini. However when I drift from that topic, I find almost an immediate loss of interest in the conversation, and then my phone goes dead, right when I press the off button-- Then I find everything is fine again. Time to get back on that sunroof with that steering wheel gripped firmly in my toes....
>>
>>Seriously, I haven't had any problems using the cell phone in the mini, except a significant lack of interest using it-- talking has interrupted the delightful experience of driving. I have told people 'I'm gonna drive for awhile, I'll call you back'-- never said that before. I also haven't had any problem with other electronic devices-- electric recorders, radar detector, tape recorder, or my monty python 12volt vibrating hedgehog....
>>
>> I really can't imagine that a car with that much electronics would have protection from such standard devices-- even the hedgehog (course I guess it's British too). I think it's just a warning to discourage using devices. I wonder if the window problem in the previous post is not related to the use of a cell phone.
>>
>>
>>
>>Steve

Cheers!
Clover

Old 09-12-2002, 08:42 AM
Jay
2nd Gear
Why would anyone want to distract themselves from the Mini driving experience by talking on a cell phone anyway? Cars are for driving; they are not phone booths. Frankly, I'm for banning cell phone use in moving vehicles, period. Pay attention to the road, not your telephones! I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jay

Old 09-12-2002, 09:07 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I used a magnetic roof antenna with an older cell phone (one of those "bag" phones) about 5 years ago. I found that after a year or two the magnet scratched the roof finish and generally scuffed things up. Not pretty, and not something I'd want to put my MINI through.

Maybe one of those through-the-glass antennas would be better?

Old 09-12-2002, 09:50 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
I don't know if anyone has experienced this. Last weekend, my wife and I went to Monterey and I left my cell phone in my MCS overnight, and the battery was dead the next morning. I had just fully charged the phone before we left, and it was less than 16 hours later that it was totally discharged. Normally, my phone is good for at least 2 days with 6 or so calls before the battery needs a recharge. I did not use the phone during this time. ???

Old 09-12-2002, 10:15 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
I've used my cell phone (internal antenna) inside my MINI S for all three months I've had the car (i'm on call 24/7) and have had no problems with my electronics in the car. If you think BMW/MINI actually made a car that a cell phone could short out, don't you think that would be in the news a little bit?? Next thing i hear will be MINI is to blame for crop circles.

Old 09-12-2002, 11:08 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>I don't know if anyone has experienced this. Last weekend, my wife and I went to Monterey and I left my cell phone in my MCS overnight, and the battery was dead the next morning. I had just fully charged the phone before we left, and it was less than 16 hours later that it was totally discharged. Normally, my phone is good for at least 2 days with 6 or so calls before the battery needs a recharge. I did not use the phone during this time. ???

You know, it seems that no one here (I count myself among this population) really is an expert in celluar technology. Maybe that's where the answer lies. For example gosharks, is it possible that your phone switched over to analog mode (from perhaps its digital norm) and THAT'S what drained the battery? I know that my phone is only good for about 2 or 3 hours in analog standby vs. a couple of days in digital standby. The switch to analog on my phone is caused by being in an analog-only service area or sometimes (and this is the pertinent point) in locations where digital service is blocked or decreased. This latter situation could occur if the MINI were particuarly well shielded...I think.

Point is, all cell phones aren't alike. They operate on different technologies and frequencies. It could be that some don't work in MINIs (or could even damage the MINI), and others are fine. Just like how certain phones drain the batteries in certain EZPass (toll) transponders. Most don't but a few models do.

We need more data and tech info if we really want to get to the bottom of this (vs just killing time in idle chat while waiting to motor )

Old 09-12-2002, 11:51 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>>>I don't know if anyone has experienced this. Last weekend, my wife and I went to Monterey and I left my cell phone in my MCS overnight, and the battery was dead the next morning. I had just fully charged the phone before we left, and it was less than 16 hours later that it was totally discharged. Normally, my phone is good for at least 2 days with 6 or so calls before the battery needs a recharge. I did not use the phone during this time. ???
>>
>>You know, it seems that no one here (I count myself among this population) really is an expert in celluar technology. Maybe that's where the answer lies. For example gosharks, is it possible that your phone switched over to analog mode (from perhaps its digital norm) and THAT'S what drained the battery? I know that my phone is only good for about 2 or 3 hours in analog standby vs. a couple of days in digital standby. The switch to analog on my phone is caused by being in an analog-only service area or sometimes (and this is the pertinent point) in locations where digital service is blocked or decreased. This latter situation could occur if the MINI were particuarly well shielded...I think.
>>
>>Point is, all cell phones aren't alike. They operate on different technologies and frequencies. It could be that some don't work in MINIs (or could even damage the MINI), and others are fine. Just like how certain phones drain the batteries in certain EZPass (toll) transponders. Most don't but a few models do.
>>
>>We need more data and tech info if we really want to get to the bottom of this (vs just killing time in idle chat while waiting to motor )

jsun,
My phone was in digital mode while in Monterey, but for the 1 hour drive for me, it was probably in analog mode for at least sometime of the time. I was just really surprized that my phone was dead. Point is well taken about none of us being an expert in cell phone technology.

Old 09-12-2002, 02:13 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Maybe someone from Mini could solve this conundrum

Old 09-12-2002, 02:39 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
And if you touch a frog with your cell phone, you'll get warts on the parking brake.
I've used 3 different brands of cellphones in our Mini and in an X5 and 3 series BMW which our family owns. Before that I've owned two other 5 series and have NEVER had a problem. Warning stickers are put on cars all the time out of extreme paranoia caused by the litigious society in which we live. Perhaps there's some most minimal chance of some problem happening when the moon and stars are aligned just right and you use your cell phone, so they place the warning. More to the point, though, as other posts have said, whether it's a MINI or any car, you shouldn't be talking on the phone and driving at the same time. Get in an accident and see who's going to get nailed with ALL the blame. Use of cell phones while driving is being addressed in many states as illegal. It's just not safe, especially in a car with a manual transmission. Anywho, look out for those frogs :smile:

Old 09-12-2002, 02:59 PM
2minis
6th Gear
>>And if you touch a frog with your cell phone, you'll get warts on the parking brake.
>>I've used 3 different brands of cellphones in our Mini and in an X5 and 3 series BMW which our family owns. Before that I've owned two other 5 series and have NEVER had a problem. Warning stickers are put on cars all the time out of extreme paranoia caused by the litigious society in which we live. Perhaps there's some most minimal chance of some problem happening when the moon and stars are aligned just right and you use your cell phone, so they place the warning. More to the point, though, as other posts have said, whether it's a MINI or any car, you shouldn't be talking on the phone and driving at the same time. Get in an accident and see who's going to get nailed with ALL the blame. Use of cell phones while driving is being addressed in many states as illegal. It's just not safe, especially in a car with a manual transmission. Anywho, look out for those frogs :smile:

And there are some people who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. . I'll go with the BMW engineer recommendation....but thanks for the input .

Quick Reply: My Cell phone ate my Mini....................