Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Service Warranty...what a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Warranty...what a joke!

I originally posted this in the '07 forum by accident...but here is my recent experience with MINI service and warranty issues:

here's my story : In June I called my local dealer (CROWN MINI of Richmond, VA) to see about getting my MINI in for the 36k mile check up that is recommended in the maintenance manual. They said they couldn't do it, because at the time I only had 32K miles on the MINI. So in July, I called Checkered Flag Mini (in Va Beach becauese that's where I work) to get it in, because by then I had 34,500 miles (Crown told me I had to be within 1500 miles). They were able to get me in TODAY with a loaner (because I live out of town). So, in goes the MINI...but by this time, I'm up to almost 38k miles. Sooooo, the SA tells me that NOTHING is going to be covered under the service warranty because I am over 36k miles. And for that reason, for the "service 1" service and an oil change I am going to have to shell out more than $300!!! THen he says that if I want a front end alignment (I had mentioned it) it was going to be something like $150!!!! I was like BS on that...no freaking way. And then he tries to sell me on the "extended service" warranty for something like $1395! By this time I was totally ticked....I tried to have the service done, told I couldn't; then when I "met the criteria" I had to wait three weeks to get the car and (and added a couple thousand miles to my car!) And when it's all over he calls me to tell me I have a nail in my right front tire (I know that) and tries to sell me TWO (yes, just two) tires for $900 ON SALE!! what a joke!!!!
So for my big maintenance free warranty I got: ONE oil change; and ONE set of winshield wipers.

First thing I did when I got home was go to MINI.com and get to the "contact page..." wrote them a short version of the above story ; left them my email address and phone number. I'm going to call MINI USA tomorrow to ***** about it as well.

UPDATE: My service 1 inspection and oil change cost me $295

Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave, that royally sucks (get the pun...Crown MINI? ...sorry.) Sounds like you were the victim of a bad confluence of mileage milestones and lack of communication and ended up getting screwed.

Gosh, maybe I'm missing the boat on some recommended maintenance. I've always thought all of the necessary scheduled service items were keyed to the on-board mileage computer and the "miles left to go" that flashes on the odometer upon start-up. I've never even considered that there might be other scheduled maintenance items tied to fixed mileage milestones (like at 36K, 60K, etc.). I do perform an oil service at intervals more frequent that the computer recommends, but I don't expect these to be covered and I'm always happy to pay for the added peace of mind.

Am I dropping the ball?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good point - there's really not a "36k mile service". There's "Inspection I", which usually comes due between 25k and 33k miles.

All through your ordeal, what was the OBC telling you as far as miles remaining until service? If you made it all the way to 36k without Inspection I coming due, you must do a LOT of highway driving.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I have to agree with the OP on the fact that MINI really wins on the maintenance. My wife's '05 MCSa would have missed the service I based on the mileage indicator coming up AFTER three years and my '06 MCS finally tripped the indicator at 33.5K so I can see how some all highway driven MINIs may not not come up for the service before 36K.

I wish that it was flat out at a fixed mileage (say 30K) instead of some bogus number that comes out of the OBC.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
That is s good point....I had always tied what my OBC was telling me to the 36k number...and that's because I had assumed (and that's mistake #1) that I would get at least two services out of my warranty before it expired. Inspection 1 came due aftter 36k, though, I do remember that...and yes, I do a LOT (like 125 miles a day) of highway driving and very little of anything else. I'm hoping MINI (corp) has a kind heart and calls me and says they'll pick up the tab for my inspection 1 and oil change....although at this point I seriously doubt anything that good will happen...(especially since I've already paid for it and have my MINI back)

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm finding it amazing how little we actually get in the way of scheduled maintenance. I got a free one-year/14k mile extension on my service agreement, so it goes out to 4 yr/50k miles. My first service ("Oil Service") came due at 12,500 miles, and "Inspection I" came due at 32,500. At the rate the OBC's counting down, I won't get to the next service (another "Oil Service") until after the service agreement expires at 50k miles.

I'm glad I didn't pay for the service extension, because it's looking like I'm not going to have even one service come due during the extension. Considering that my dealer regularly charged $795 for the extension, I'd say that they're making out like bandits.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty on the MINI too. It would have been a waste of money, especially given my distance from the dealership.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
I managed to wear my brakes down in 30,000 miles in my old R53 and a new set was covered under service...my dealer was really good on that kind of stuff.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
UPDATE: Finally got an email response from MINI via the mini.com "ask a question" featue. Here's what he said
"Thanks for writing MINI. We strive to respond to our customers positively, and we apologize that we were unable to do so in this case.
The Maintaince Program for your MINI did provide coverage for maintaince items required on your MINI for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Your vehicle is equipped with a maintaince interval system designed to notify you when services are due. If the maintaince interval system was not indicating services were due, then your MINI dealer is not permitted to prematurely complete the service under the Maintaince Program.
I regret to hear that your service was not able to be completed under the Maintaince Program prior to its expiration. We strive to assure our customers are as content and proud of their vehicles as we are; it is very important to us.
If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand."

And there was a phone #866.ASK.MINI (275-6464)

So I called the number, and spent a good 20 minutes telling the guy on the phone the whole situation. He said, MINI won't cover it, won't give me any compensation...because I needed a loaner car. AND THEN he went on to try and give me the same "deal" the SA tried to give me (he would ask the dealership to cover the cost of the service if I bought the extended warranty. I told him that if that's all MINI can do, then I am extremely dissapointed with MINI. Love my car, really do, but man, this really chaps my a$$. I told him I would just as soon take my car to Joe Blow down the block for maintenance instead of shelling out $$$ at the dealership just to have MINI service do it. He said that's my choice, but he doesn't recommend it since the MINI has "special maintenance needs"....yeah, ok, whatever. Final word from me was NO I'm not buying your extended warranty. I AM PI$$ED!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 206 Likes on 170 Posts
That sucks. They really should have cut you some slack since you tried to schedule at 34,500 miles, well withing the 36,000 limit.

I remember that I had to make a special point of putting on some extra miles
(took a different way to work for 3 months) so that I could get close to the
Inspection I mileage before my first 36 months were up.

Please take note of any potential problems before 50,000 or 4 years comes up, so
that they don't screw you on any warranty-related issues.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
MarcoEsc
3rd Gear
Sucks profoundly, but how many people would reasonably expect a car with 38,000 miles on it to fall under a 36,000 mile service plan? Sounds pretty cut and dry.

We're very happy with the $1395 extended service plan (and $1395 is a good price, as dealer cost is $1295 and some dealers try to get well over $2K for this). It fully covered a new clutch at 49,000 miles, and we expect to get several more services under this contract. It's been a good deal for us.

But come on, this complaint about not getting free service when you're clearly 2000 miles after the contract expired seems a bit "off" to me. If a restaurant closes at 9pm, would you really expect dinner if you showed up at 10 saying "but I was hungry at 8:30!"???

And for sure, get the car back in there with a list of every little complaint you have BEFORE you hit 50,000 miles. Not 50,100. Not "call the dealer at 49,500 and accept an appointment three months later." Our dealer's service department was on strike when we were about to hit 50K; thankfully we found another dealer who did some major transmission work on MINIs dime.