Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

These wiper blades SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, this reminds me, I've been meaning to get some SilBlades. I just need an 19" and 18", right?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Thanks bigshot! I do use Rain-x on my windshield, but the wiperblades I had before just didn't cut it. Water would bead, but when it wasn't raining that hard, it wouldn't run off the windshield very well and the previous wipers left huge streaks on the driver's side that I couldn't see through.

It occurred to me, and I keep forgetting this, that Viola was the demo at the dealership and she'd been in service as a demo since February. I bought her in May, so it seems a bit early to start doing the "once every six months" chores to me. But now that I think of it like that, her wiper blades were probably due for a swap out.

Regarding the rain-x and build up, is it safe to use Vinegar and water on auto glass? I use it to clean most of my household glass, but I use rain-x glass cleaner on the cars. I wonder if vinegar would cut through the build up and make it a non-issue.

Clarification: I use the rain-x glass wax every once in a while, but I use the bottled, spray on glass cleaner to clean the glass of dust and grossness in between car washings.

The streaking was probably from 2 things..........Too much Rain-X and old dryed out blades. Best thing to do is to take some water/vinegar and clean the windows and then apply a light coat of Rain-X. Most folks apply way to much Rain-X, or other product, thinking more is better. I usually get at least 8-10 months of use out of an application of Rain-X with the Silblades.

I would just use a water/vinegar mix to clean the windows as it out performs all of the store bought cleaners I have tried.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Lacning, your car is a RHD. Did you install a 1" longer blade on the passenger side as indicated by Valeo?
Yup. I have a 19" on the passenger side, 18" on the driver's. The problem is the curvature of the windshield, not the length of the blade. The flat blade design blades doesn't curve near the edge as well as traditional wiper blade holder/assembly with the hinge points. In fact a shorter blade might work better.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've had no issues with my Clubman wipers after six months of ownership. They work great and don't streak. As for MINI not having replacement inserts, they sure look just like the inserts I always used on my BMW wagon, and they come in one size for about $5, and you just cut them to fit and slide them on. Don't know if they'll fit the Clubman wiper arms, but it's worth a try when it comes time to replace them if the dealer doesn't.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Plenty of rain here and my wipers work great, no streaks, just clean wipe.

For replacement, I will look to just replace rubber inserts, as have not had good results with the replacements that include generic frames.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
My SA at least had no problems replacing my wiper blades the last time I was in at the dealer. I watched him do it himself (I was a bad person and forgot that I even wanted to get the blades replaced until after I got the car back and was about to drive off.) and he just replaced the rubber inserts, not the entire blade assembly.

The inserts are a generic size that fit the BMW X3 and the MINI; you just snap off any excess and then insert them into the blade assembly.

Sure there may be better blades out there, but for the time being it's hard to argue with free.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
The streaking was probably from 2 things..........Too much Rain-X and old dryed out blades. Best thing to do is to take some water/vinegar and clean the windows and then apply a light coat of Rain-X. Most folks apply way to much Rain-X, or other product, thinking more is better. I usually get at least 8-10 months of use out of an application of Rain-X with the Silblades.

I would just use a water/vinegar mix to clean the windows as it out performs all of the store bought cleaners I have tried.
I've only applied the glass wax twice, and I re-applied after a lengthy road trip where the car acquired a lot of bugs, but I think there may be some of the rain x treatment in the glass cleaner solution. I'll switch off to using vinegar and water to clean the glass.

I suspect the real culprit was dried out blades, as I am now getting a streak free wipe. I think that perhaps no one ever bothered to wipe down the wiper blades with anything at the dealership to keep them in good shape.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Modnar
My SA at least had no problems replacing my wiper blades the last time I was in at the dealer. I watched him do it himself (I was a bad person and forgot that I even wanted to get the blades replaced until after I got the car back and was about to drive off.) and he just replaced the rubber inserts, not the entire blade assembly.

The inserts are a generic size that fit the BMW X3 and the MINI; you just snap off any excess and then insert them into the blade assembly.

Sure there may be better blades out there, but for the time being it's hard to argue with free.
I've always found the BMW inserts to be of very good quality. I used them for six years on my '02 325 wagon. Easy to install, cheap, and they work great. I never needed to replace the blade assemblies, just the inserts, which I did once a year. As you mentioned, there's no size to worry about, you just cut the rubber and snap the thin metal strip to size. Takes about 5 minutes to install two front refills.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Possibly off topic:

I got my SilBlades today and noticed that the driver's side wiper has a thing attached to it. My dad said it acts as a wing to keep the wiper putting pressure on the windshield when driving fast. My SilBlade doesn't have this and it doesn't seem removable.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Possibly off topic:

I got my SilBlades today and noticed that the driver's side wiper has a thing attached to it. My dad said it acts as a wing to keep the wiper putting pressure on the windshield when driving fast. My SilBlade doesn't have this and it doesn't seem removable.

I don't miss mine even in triple digit speeds.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Yup. I have a 19" on the passenger side, 18" on the driver's. The problem is the curvature of the windshield, not the length of the blade. The flat blade design blades doesn't curve near the edge as well as traditional wiper blade holder/assembly with the hinge points. In fact a shorter blade might work better.

I know exactly what you are talking about. The outside edge of the Valeo Ultimate 19" passenger blade has a gap up to 1" off the windshield. When it wipes, it misses a small portion of the bottom right wiping area. You can see it in the video earlier in this thread.

The 18" driver blade works perfect; I really like it. I wonder if the 18" blade would work better on the passenger side? I'm down to give it a try...

I wrote a complaint email to Valeo but got not response so I just sent another right now.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Neufusion
I know exactly what you are talking about. The outside edge of the Valeo Ultimate 19" passenger blade has a gap up to 1" off the windshield. When it wipes, it misses a small portion of the bottom right wiping area. You can see it in the video earlier in this thread.

The 18" driver blade works perfect; I really like it. I wonder if the 18" blade would work better on the passenger side? I'm down to give it a try...

I wrote a complaint email to Valeo but got not response so I just sent another right now.
I'm not noticing this issue with the rain x blades, but I'll keep an eye out and let you guys know if I see any problems with them. We're just starting our rainy part of the year here, so I should be using the wipers quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Vinegar

It's dilute acetic acid, so I'd be pretty careful about getting it anywhere but the glass.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Rain-X Lattitude work great on mine.Local auto parts store for around 20 bucks each.
Has anyone noticed if the Rain-X Lattitudes or (maybe) the Bosch Icons have a 1" gap on the drivers side outer edge like the Valeos mentioned earlier?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrTIer
Has anyone noticed if the Rain-X Lattitudes or (maybe) the Bosch Icons have a 1" gap on the drivers side outer edge like the Valeos mentioned earlier?
I have not noticed this problem. I'll see if I can get my passenger to take a vid of the wiper blades the next time it rains so you can see how the Rain X blades work.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
It's dilute acetic acid, so I'd be pretty careful about getting it anywhere but the glass.
Water/vinegar has so little actual acetic acid as to be virtually safe for all surfaces, usually 2.5% or less after mixing it.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
chinisimo
Neutral
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but amazon's gold box deal of the day is the velco 900 series buy 1 one get 1 free. i want to get a set for my wife's 08 mini but according to amazon and velco, they don't have them for the mini

http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index....-%20Cooper%20S

do you know if i get the 19" and 18", will they fit?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chinisimo
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but amazon's gold box deal of the day is the velco 900 series buy 1 one get 1 free. i want to get a set for my wife's 08 mini but according to amazon and velco, they don't have them for the mini

http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index....-%20Cooper%20S

do you know if i get the 19" and 18", will they fit?
they fit on my mini. standard interface. easy to change. despite the passenger side coverage issue (which doesn't bother me anymore) they are very worth it IMHO, especially buy 1 get 1. i still haven't had a chance to try the 18" on the passenger side to see if it's any better. mine still wipe pretty amazingly good after two winters.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
chinisimo
Neutral
thanks for the answer. i didn't buy them last night after all. i'll keep an eye out next time something like this is on sale again

Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
The only Rx to the wiper probllem that has actually worked for me is to make a dilute solution with Bon Ami and lightly clean the windshield with it. I'm careful to minimize the runoff/excess just because of its abrasive nature. I read about it here on another thread and it does work. 3-4x across the driving season.