Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

These wiper blades SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These wiper blades SUCK!

I'm confused, and I've never gotten a clear answer from other threads, so I'm starting this one, specifically for clarification on this issue.

The wiper blades (the wiper blades are the rubber like squeegee portion of the wiper assembly which is supposed to swipe water away from the windshield.) on the MINI quite simply, suck. They leave big drag marks across the windshield.

My understanding is that replacement wiper blades (referred to as a refill) are not available for the '07, '08 Coopers because there isn't one made for the cars, and one must replace the wiper assembly (including the wiper arm and etc) with aftermarket parts, in order to get the ability to replace your own wiper blades without ordering this assembly (which costs 80$) from BMW each time you need new blades.

Is this correct?

If not, how are you guys replacing your wiper blades because I need new ones, yesterday.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give yourself a present and buy the best wipers in the world:

http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index.asp?pgid=19

Old 09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Give yourself a present and buy the best wipers in the world:

http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index.asp?pgid=19
Um cool... where do you buy them? I can't find the link on the website for "buy now!" LOL!

And do those fit on the 2nd gen because their site says they are for the 2002 - 2005...

Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Check your local Auto Zone/NAPA/Pep Boys type place.

07+ Uses a 18" blade on the drivers side 19" on the passenger side. Not sure about rear.

Fit blade while there in case there is an issue and you need a refund.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Send them an Email from their website. Also write down the part numbers and try ordering at Pep Boys and Autozone. Mine came free courtesy of my Mercedes dealer.

You can also try the Rain-X copy cat version called Latitude:

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Wiper_.../Latitude.aspx

and which is available at Pep Boys and Autozone. I would stick with Valeo though.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Niko
2nd Gear
I haven't had any issues with my Bosch ICON blades. I've been using them on three completely different cars. This is on an 02 Cooper though. I'd assume the 07-08 is the same. If it is, just keep in mind that the passenger side is actually larger than the driver side, which is a little out of the ordinary.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
I got the PIAA from TireRack and they seem to work great. I had the Valeo's briefly before them and they didn't seem to conform to the windshield all that well. Maybe I got a bum pair or something...?

I also use a product called Aquapel which does a great job of letting the water just run off the glass as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 PM
AggieMini
4th Gear
I may get those too!

My 07 wipers had to be replaced after three freaking months...

Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grey
I also use a product called Aquapel which does a great job of letting the water just run off the glass as well.
Is it like Rain-X and does it build up deposits on the windshield?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
If your dealer is convenient, remember that the initial 3 year free maintenance covers wiper blade replacements. You just have to tell them the wipers are streaking. The last time I was at my dealer, they even replaced my wiper blades without my asking for it.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
If your dealer is convenient, remember that the initial 3 year free maintenance covers wiper blade replacements. You just have to tell them the wipers are streaking. The last time I was at my dealer, they even replaced my wiper blades without my asking for it.
Good idea if cost is an issue but personally I prefer a top quality product even if I have to pay for it.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
Is it like Rain-X and does it build up deposits on the windshield?
It doesn't build up like Rain-X - and lasts way longer. You apply it in a similar way but your arms will thank you!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Um cool... where do you buy them? I can't find the link on the website for "buy now!" LOL!

And do those fit on the 2nd gen because their site says they are for the 2002 - 2005...
Yes, they fit and they are good - especially if you get snow. The attachment is generic and fits most cars, just measure yours to get the right size. I've had them on my '07 MCS since last December and they still work like new. There is more than one brand that makes a 1 piece blade like this though, so be carefull - I tried one a couple years ago that had inferior rubber that was hard and useless in the cold.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grey
It doesn't build up like Rain-X - and lasts way longer. You apply it in a similar way but your arms will thank you!
Thanks grey. I may do half the windshield on another car as a test and go from there.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grodenglaive
There is more than one brand that makes a 1 piece blade like this though, so be carefull - I tried one a couple years ago that had inferior rubber that was hard and useless in the cold.
It may have been the first generation Trico. The latest ones are bound to be better but I have no direct experiences.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochur...cation_id=5214

Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
My Dealer has already replaced the wiper blades just for asking them to. They will also refill the washer fluid when needed. Call you SA and see if you can just go in or if you need to make an appointment.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
^^Same with my dealership too the factory wipers do suck but until my free ones run out of warranty I won't buy a pair.Although refilling the washer fluid reservoir all I got was a blank stare from my MA for some reason.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I was told to not expect wiper blade replacements until I brought the car in for it's second warranty service. My MA said that BMW only pays for wiper blade replacements once every two years because they replace the whole shebang. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I've always replaced my wiper blades at least twice a year.

I did some searching locally today and found the rain x latitude blades were available here at a local department store, and no one else had them in stock. The auto parts stores here hadn't heard of the Valeo product, which doesn't surprise me, given that I live in podunk and that I'm a girl. They don't take me seriously when I walk in there carrying my Vera Bradley purse.

Any chance of finding some place where I can order the Valeo blades online when I'm due for my next replacement? I like the latitudes really well for clearing the windshield of water quickly without streaking, but the assembly feels sort of flimsy and I don't think I'll be happy with them over the long term.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
.... given that I live in podunk and that I'm a girl. They don't take me seriously when I walk in there carrying my Vera Bradley purse.
Funny!

When I have a little time I will look into it and post it.

Update. There you go:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

If not in stock they are generally willing to order for you. The part numbers for the 2006-2008 Mini are 900-18-1 for the LH and 900-19-1 for the RH but have them check anyway.

I called my Mercedes dealer but you would think I was asking for the combination to the company safe.

Last edited by Ian Venieri; 09-02-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Funny!

When I have a little time I will look into it and post it.

Update. There you go:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

If not in stock they are generally willing to order for you. The part numbers for the 2006-2008 Mini are 900-18-1 for the LH and 900-19-1 for the RH but have them check anyway.

I called my Mercedes dealer but you would think I was asking for the combination to the company safe.
Thanks Ian, you rock!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
For an even better solution.............clean your windshields with a high quality aggresive window cleaner, apply Rain-X or Aquapel ( I like the Rain-X myself) as per instructions. Don't apply too much of either as this is the reason folks have problems with buildup. And check out www.silblades.com for what is considered the best wipers available.

All of the folks that make the Icon (blade) type of wiper blade have gotten many complaints from MINI owners about less than acceptable performance. The blades tend to not make uniform contact with the windshield and they like to lift off of the glass when it is raining hard.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rain-X Lattitude work great on mine.Local auto parts store for around 20 bucks each.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Thanks bigshot! I do use Rain-x on my windshield, but the wiperblades I had before just didn't cut it. Water would bead, but when it wasn't raining that hard, it wouldn't run off the windshield very well and the previous wipers left huge streaks on the driver's side that I couldn't see through.

It occurred to me, and I keep forgetting this, that Viola was the demo at the dealership and she'd been in service as a demo since February. I bought her in May, so it seems a bit early to start doing the "once every six months" chores to me. But now that I think of it like that, her wiper blades were probably due for a swap out.

Regarding the rain-x and build up, is it safe to use Vinegar and water on auto glass? I use it to clean most of my household glass, but I use rain-x glass cleaner on the cars. I wonder if vinegar would cut through the build up and make it a non-issue.

Clarification: I use the rain-x glass wax every once in a while, but I use the bottled, spray on glass cleaner to clean the glass of dust and grossness in between car washings.

Last edited by RandomGemini; 09-03-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Since I'm lazy, here's a copy/paste of my response in another thread.

I got tired of my oem blades despite treatment with 303 and the availability of free replacements by the dealer. I replaced my front oem wiper arms/blades with Valeo 900 Ultimates. It's the new flat blade design that other manufacturers have now. $10 each at Amazon.com. Easy to install. Much better than my oem ones even when new. Lasted through the winter and is still streak free and smooth. Only problem with these kind of blades is the coverage of the last few inches of the passenger side window as in the video below.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Lacning, your car is a RHD. Did you install a 1" longer blade on the passenger side as indicated by Valeo?

Quick Reply: These wiper blades SUCK!