Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My dead MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dead MINI

After searching and reading about others' problems with dead MINIs, id did not find anything that is similar to my situation. Forgive me if there is, but the search function is not the best.

Let me first state that I have an '06 R53. It has 50,750 mi. No "major issues" to speak of, until now. With the miles, you can see that it is "technically" out of warranty. To add, I just came back from MitM, where the car performed fine.

Now, here's what happened. Friday evening, I was on my way home, or at least attempting to go. When I tried cranking the car, it did for about a second. Then, I tried and tried to start it. No luck.

I notice the DSC light was blinking off, then remaining on after it begins to turn over. It usually does not. So, I think, well maybe it ( ECU ) just needs to be reset.

I disconnect the battery, reset the system and try again. Cranks up - I go home.

The next day, I do not drive anywhere. Sunday, I go to leave to work on my other vehicle and it does it again. However, this time, I hear a clicking from the front of the car.

I ask someone to listen for me and we deduce that it is the R1 relay in the main distribution block. It clicks about 4 or 5 times and then quits. During this time the fuel pump does not pump. It waits until the chattering stops and then pumps.

I tried resetting the system numerous times with no luck.
Now, after trying to figure out what the heck was going on, it does NOT chatter anymore, nor does the fuel pump pump ( make noise ).
Therefore, dead.

I even thought that the battery may have been low. It was checked and is fine.

I have no idea what this could be. Anyone with a similar issue?
Questions welcome, as I have probably forgotten a few obscure details.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mentioned checking battery did you do a load test or just check voltage to me sounds like a bad battery.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Load tested.

EDIT: also used a 1200 amp booster pack with and in place of the car battery.

Last edited by thatatvguy; 09-02-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like the battery

Nik

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
2xMini
6th Gear
If you tested it with the charger instead of the battery, then my next suspects would be:

Ground cable(s) - from the battery to the chassis, or any other large cables grounding to the body/motor. Check for corrosion and/or loose connectors.

Starter cable - now, here I profess my MINI ignorance. I do not know where the starter relay is, but that's where I would check first. It might be worth buying a replacement and testing that. Also, check the starter cable and make sure the connection or the cable is not corroded.

Sounds to me like you're not getting enough power to the starter, so anything between it and the battery is suspect.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
Hi,

I had the same symptons on my Rav4. I knew it couldn't be the battery cuz I had just bought it less than a year ago. I took to it to Sears and the battery checked at 95%, which is really good. It turns out that it was a loose connection (the thing that clamps on to the terminal could not be tightened anymore) to one of the battery terminals and that is why the problem was intermittent. They replaced the clamp and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this is your problem is a simple as replacing that clamp

Good luck!!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Exact same issue here. I replaced my battery with a new Duralast battery. The terminals on the battery are just a little smaller than the OEM. Two times in the last year I have gone to the car to start it and electrical would flash and then cut out. I would go and re-tighten the terminal and all is fine. I need to shave a little off the connector so that it will clamp down tighter.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 AM
svt foci
Neutral
well on my svt foci i have had the same problem and our cars are noted for bad grounds. and it will even kill the car if you are driving so i now carry a little jumper that i put on when my car decides to act up

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
I knew that it would be something simple.

Do not use silicone grease as a water repellent for the plugs going into the ECU.

It had been in there for about two weeks, with no problems, so I did not think that would have been the issue. However, i'm guessing that it finally got hot enough, numerous times to pool in the bottom area around the pins and was "shorting" the pins. I cleaned everything out and

Plug for Dan @ Grassroots Garage. He took the time to chat with me about this and everything lead back to the ECU. Then the light bulb went on.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
mimini1
3rd Gear
to Dan!