Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Front Wiper Motor going out. (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Vicarious Ink
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Wiper Motor going out. (I think)

Hey there, I did some searching around the forum and found a couple threads and the How To guide, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can even get a Mini Front Wiper Motor.

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper and we were driving (My fiancé and I) down the interstate when the wipers stopped midway up the window and would not go back down. I thought it might be the motor to begin with, but then they came back on. A couple days later, they did the same thing. I thought it might have to do with the wipers themselves since I just replaced them a couple days before the wipers stopped working.

Basically, I was wondering if ANYONE knows where I can get a Wiper Motor and Linkage (hell, just the motor will be fine) anywhere. I have searched all over the internet and could not find anything. Apparently my Google-Fu is not up the task. I also cannot spend $600-$1000 on it right now and they have to get working soon so she can get to work.

If anyone knows something, please let me know. Thanks again and I hope you have a good day. :D

Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
First...check for something blocking the system.

I had this problem once, and then I checked under the hood looking at the mechanicals. The motor pushes rods that move the wipers.

Lordy Lordy ... I found a screw driver I'd used on a task under the hood, dangling in a place the w/wiper mechanism would hit. It was preventing the mechanism from moving....

I put the tool where it belonged and the wipers worked fine ever since.

Military aviation mechanics must account for every tool and every rag b4 signing off on a task....I now understand why.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Vicarious Ink
Neutral
I will see about it when I get out of here. I will let you know as soon as I find out. Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Vicarious Ink
Neutral
Well anyways, I am back. There was nothing obstructing the lines or anything. So I am going to assume that it's the Wiper Motor. So I am back to getting everything under way.

If anyone knows where I can get the part, please let me know. Thanks. :D

Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
did you pull the plug to the motor and clean all the contact surfaces????

A lil' contact cleaner and a lil' emery cloth.... Maybe you just have a corroded connection

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
AdmiralKit
1st Gear
Vicarious, did you ever find the motor? When my motor went out (burnt out when I accidently hit the switch trying to dethaw my car from 1/2" of ice), I had to buy the motor with the whole linkage assembly. I got mine from http://www.minicarparts.net/, which is is something like 60-80% of dealer cost IIRC. Not a big fan of the dealership in my area.