Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

oil changes by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil changes by dealer

I understand that you can't get the dealer to do the oil change off-schedule if it's a warranted oil change. They make you wait until the indicator reaches 0. Will the time of the year determine the viscosity they use? What if they use high vis oil and I feel like I need low vis? Will I be able to ask them to use a different vis oil or will the computer tell them what to use? I understand that the computer tells everything from how many miles I've driven to how often I tromp on the gas pedal and how hard I tend to drive. All that information is factored into when the computer tells me to come in for an oil change. Will it tell the dealer what kind of oil to use as well (I'm talking about viscosity, not brand)?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CBS only says when your Mini is due for service based on mileage and/or time.It won't say what oil viscosity to use.The oil weight information should be in your Service & Warranty information booklet that came with your Mini which might vary from region to region.

Now for example my booklet here in South Florida lists:
MINI High-Performance Synthetic 5W-30 Oil
(Part Number 07 51 0 143 829)
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-40

Then goes on to say.......Should you need to top off the oil while checking the oil level and if you can't find any of those synthetic motor oils use a synthetic oil with an API rating of SJ or higher.

I hope that helps some.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI recommends and uses a Multi-Viscosity Oil, specifically SAE 5W-30 weight.

Some NAM members, doing their own oil changes, have reported that the only A3/B3 oils available in US Auto Parts Stores were SAE 0W-40 weight.

I just did an early oil change and got the MINI branded (Castrol) 5W-30 from a MINI Dealer Parts for $6.20 per quart.

In addition to mileage schedule, US MINI Dealers will give you at least one
oil change per year. Would not expect that you could specify SAE Weight for them to use though.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At one time most motor oils were "straight weight", offering a single viscosity rating, so it made sense to use a thinner oil in Winter, and a heavier oil in Summer. Modern synthetic multi-viscosity oils (like the MINI Castrol 5w30) can handle a very wide range of temperatures, so MINI, like most other manufacturers, specifies just one oil weight year-round.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLS HELP ME!!!! i just had my very first engine oil service at 10900 miles and according to report paper they gave me they performed additional services like:

set oil filter element
5w30 oil mini
microfilter/activated carbon

my question is: does this additional services require access to/opening bolster under the steering wheel?

because evidently they took something out(parts) under the steering wheel!!!! i just noticed it today!!! my service was last saturday!!!

yes the service is free as it is still under warranty i have an '06 model bought last year('07). yes they replaced front and back wipers and have ordered side mirror screws coz they are rusted... all at no charge!!! but it is coz they took out parts under the steering wheel of my MINI!!!!

pls... i know engine oil service only requires opening the hood!!! not under the steering wheel of my MINI!!!! but they might say the additional services require opening bolster under the steering wheel(which i highly doubt) so i ask your expertise. because if those additional services does not require opening bolster under the steering wheel. they are in big trouble.

PLS... ENLIGHTEN ME. before i call the dealer and ask them why they opened the bolster under the steering wheel of my car in the first place!!! and obviously took something out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could someone kindly also post a picture of bolster under the steering wheel so i can compare what parts they took out?!! what exactly are the parts to be found when you open bolster under the steering wheel? i have a base cooper. does all MINI models(s,base, etc) have the same parts under the steering wheel?

any idea why they took it out(whatever that is)?!! im very scared and disappointed and angry. why do they have to do that?

the yellow arrow points to the obvious missing part i noticed!! what is that??

Last edited by coopermaniac; 09-22-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well since this board deals with the R56 and not the 2006 MINI, what is seen in your photo does not look at all familiar.

On R56 (2007-2009) there is a computer jack located (drops down from) on far left lower panel under steering wheel,
this would be connected to the Service Departments computer during service.

Your report also mentioned replacing your Air Conditioner's Activated Carbon Microfilter.
On R56 this is beneath the dash and can be seen forward of the glove box, towards the center.