Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Boot Bungle Bingo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boot Bungle Bingo?

According to my service dept., and the grease that is strewn about the various parts in the front wheel vicinity,I need a new CV boot.If you are like me and have the same issue,you have been waiting for this part to be taken OFF BACKORDER by MINI!My concern/question is this:WHY HAS THIS PART BEEN ON BACKORDER FOR MONTHS?!If I am correct,there can be catastrophic consequences if left unattended.Anyone else out there in the same predic? WHAT GIVES??What the F--- are Mini owners supposed to do if they need this part,whittle one out of balsa?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can be catastrophic yes, if it looses all grease it can rust and then snap at wich point wont at all be pretty, i would suggest getting a universal boot from your local DIY auto dealer and pack that thing with as much grease as you can . if its a small hole you can fill the origional boot then take the after market boot and wrapt it around.

or you might look around you local there are alot of places that will completly rebiuld the cv joint with new boots for pretty cheap, i had to do it once on a dodge stealth i had, took the part in during the A.M. had it back same day

Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on this...

Had the same problem on my '05 and took it to my mechanic--Danny at Minicorsa---it was rebuilt and installed the same day.

Originally Posted by blkkouki

or you might look around you local there are alot of places that will completly rebiuld the cv joint with new boots for pretty cheap, i had to do it once on a dodge stealth i had, took the part in during the A.M. had it back same day