Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Door trim lifting off

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Altruego
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door trim lifting off

Wondering if anyone else is having problems with the silver door sill trim lifting off. I've got an '08 Clubman S and it is happening on both passenger and drivers side. The passenger side lift was enough that the door caught it the other day and totally mangled it. I checked the drivers side and the same thing is starting to happen there. Here are some pictures.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WARRANTY WORK !

Take it back to the Dealer for repair. "TLG" is the cause. Too Little Glue (or adheasive tape) on the backside of the metal strip...or the rubber was not clean when it was applied.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
cseajs
1st Gear
The same thing is happening to my passenger side. Went to the dealer today and the replacement part was ordered under warranty.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Altruego
1st Gear
Unfortunately, I'm about 5 hours (one way) from the dealership. They say the won't replace it unless I bring it in. I don't want to spend 10 hours driving and $80 in gas to replace a $57 part. Trying to get them to at least sell me the part at a discount but they are telling me "there is nothing they can do".

Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same thing happened to me this weekend, passenger side. By the time it was lifting up, it was too late to patch it, since I forgot about it and closed the door once without thinking. Mangled.
My Detroit dealer seemed to be familiar with it. I get a new one with my next oil change.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Your picture looks just like my passenger side. I plan on taking it to the dealer sometime (I live 2 hrs. away), however I did find a decent fix to get me by. I first tried to flatten the strip as best as I could, using my fingers and pliers (use cloth on the teeth to prevent marring). I then put down a strip of double-sided tape my wife had bought from a craft store & pressed the trim down on the tape using a small wooden roller (from my wife's cooking utensil drawer). So far so good. Note, I did not totally remove the piece but rather gently bent up the loose section to apply the tape. As long as you do not kink the metal, it should press back down. And, for the record, she does NOT know I used her pie roller thingy on my car.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Same thing happened to me as well on passenger side. Used some crazy glue to hold it down and then took it in and had it replaced at the dealer. It seems that both the driver side and passenger side are not held down very good with the glue that is used.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had the same problem. Passenger side metal plate sill was lifting up from the front edge towards the back. By the time we noticed the problem, the sill was mangled and totally smashed.

Took it back to the dealer on Sat morning and to my surprise, they had both driver's and passenger side Clubman S door sill replacements in stock. Done under warranty and both replaced (Driver's side was heading the same way as the pass side sill). It took 2 hours to get the old sills removed, glue residue removed, prep area, add new glue, install new sills.

They look better than the ones put at the factory. I left the blue film plastic protectors in them.

This was a minor but very disappointing cosmetic problem on a nearly $30K premium automobile. Out of the 4 MINIs we have owned in the past 7 years, this has been the only one that has had both door sills come off unglued and replaced. Another sign that MINI has gone cheap with the build quality of the second generation MINIs.

These sills have updated part numbers and therefore they are supposed to have stronger glue bond and more resistant to water and dirt. I'll be happy to post the part numbers for both driver and pass side door sills on the Clubman S model for future reference.