Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Corrosion on #2 ignition coil lead

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corrosion on #2 ignition coil lead

2004 JCW..... 77K miles

Replaced plugs and wires today (among other things) and noticed the male "plug" on the coil (HT lead #3) was severely corroded. The rest were bright and clean, with a minimum of pitting. I used a wire brush dremel and cleaned it up as best I could and proceeded with installation. The car runs fine now, better than before actually, but with all I did I assumed it would anyway.

What gives? Any ideas? I am hesitant to replace the whole unit. Would slathering it with dielectric grease help, or is that an inappropriate application?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Must be getting moisture in from somewhere. Deielectric grease prpbably a good idea.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
Just buff it off with some steel wool, then slathered it in dieletric grease, it will be fine. I had the same issue on my 2000 Pontiac....

Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have yet to see an MCS without oxidation on the #3 coil post; clean & grease is the treatment.

New spark plug wires are called for with the amount of miles on your vehicle.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
JOHN800
1st Gear
I think I know why

I found the same problem. Three were bright and one had corrosion, or burnt. I cleaned the post and applied silicon grease. What I found was that the clip that secures the boot connector terminal to the spark plug was missing. Now I was thinking that the main connector that wraps around the spark plug tip would be the best conducter for the current. But now I am thinking that the retaining clip is making the best path, and when missing due to a manufacturing defect, was rattling around. The voltage is high enough to make the spark, but arcing over time causes the discoloring of the coil terminal. I don't believe the clip could have fallen out, there is no where for it to go. I got some needle nose pliers and tried to crimp the terminal to make a better connection. Since that time, it seems to be a bit smoother. I will be ordering a new set of wires. I don't what possesed me to check them out, but low and behold, there it was. I did get a repeat of a lean condition on a code before this, but don't know for sure if the lower spark voltage was causing a lean or rich condition. It would be nice if this curtails future codes. This is the second electrical connection problem with the mini. The other was an improperly connected plug on the HID light which caused arcing and the temporary outage of the light. All is well, I hope this helps.