Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

CEL after AGS-R Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 09:18 PM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
CEL after AGS-R Install

I just installed my AGS-R. Ran beautifully for 4 days. I started the car tonight, first cold start (not sure if that matters), and immediately recieved a check engine light. Would not go away and it was the yellow outlined version, non flashing. I'm going to take my key to the dealer tomorrow and see what it is. I HATE CELs!!!!

Anyone have problems like this with thier intakes? I also have the ALTA 3" Turboback, and recently have noticed a heavy layer of sut on the pipes. Maybe associated? Thanks NAM!

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:13 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Do you take your car to Fairfield Mini? Just curious what is their take on the mods you have. I know some dealers frown when you bring a car with mods in.

Mini is a PITA when it comes to CELs.

Sorry, cannot really help you on the AGS-R.

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:38 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
hang on there... going to the dealer to address aftermarket issues is just going to end up costing you money and have your altering practices noted in your file. This happened to me, though not by choice. My CEL came up while I was driving to the dealer for regular service.

Find out which auto parts stores (usually Auto Zone) will scan codes for you and do it there. Or buy a scanner from a place like Kragen that has a return policy so you can keep it long enough to address the problem. There's a good chance the issue is with the turboback as that's been very common. I had a CEL that popped up after having the turboback for 6 months. If that's it, Alta will send you a small extender for the second o2 sensor to address it. If the soot is very concentrated on and around the v-clamps it could be a small leak from the pipes not being aligned correctly or the v-clamp being too tight or not tight enough. If it's just on the pipe all the way down I'm more inclined to think it's just from the road. Water splashes up and onto the pipe then evaporates leaving dirt and minerals.

Old 10-07-2008 | 09:12 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
I have not had a single CEL since installing my AGS-R. I think FugativeAI has the best advise.

Old 10-07-2008 | 11:50 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by myminirox
I have not had a single CEL since installing my AGS-R. I think FugativeAI has the best advise.
FugativeAI

myminirox,

Why is your Alta turbo tube off?

How goes your install for the M7 pre-charge pipe?

Old 10-07-2008 | 12:44 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Your dealer is going to give you a hard time (warrenty) with that problem., considering all that aftermarket stuff.

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:02 PM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
The dealer, contrary to popular belief, was awesome! I have built an excellent relationship with them. They already knew of my mods prior to the visit and always ask what my next one will be, reason being because I'm real good friends with my MA! Anyone looking to buy in the CT area, I recommend MINI OF Fairfield County. They scanned the key, told me it was increased emissions code and it just was simply on because the car was getting used to the better flow of air through the engine due to the AGS-R. Nothing wrong except for the fact that the car was running better than stock and the sensors were confused. Also nice to know the flow of air with the AGS-R is much improved over stock.

The sut was like you said not a biproduct of the light as I checked the clamps and none had carbon on them. To top it off, I went to start the car after leaving the service desk and to my surprise the light has gone away and stayed away for aabout 6 stops/starts today. And no, they did not reset it as he told me they would need to bring it in to service and do it at a charge, so there was no way I was doing that for nothing.

Thanks everyone for the input, I feel so much better now.

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:26 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
FugativeAI

myminirox,

Why is your Alta turbo tube off?

How goes your install for the M7 pre-charge pipe?
The tube is off because I was not satified with the fit (see my gallery), it was just cut too short. I returned it to ALTA, and Adam has promised me a longer one (I'm still waiting for the replacement).

I have not yet attempted the pre-charge pipe install. From all I've read, the removal of the stock pipe (particularly the muffler) will be a PITA. So, I'm waiting for a weekend when I have lots of time, and there's still some good weather, to put the front end on jack stands, remove the front bumper and possibly the upper grill, move the rad over-flow bottle, and do all my front end work at once.

Let me know if you're going to be in the Vancouver area and want to help -- there'll be a few cold ones at the end!

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:04 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
The dealer, contrary to popular belief, was awesome! I have built an excellent relationship with them. They already knew of my mods prior to the visit and always ask what my next one will be, reason being because I'm real good friends with my MA! Anyone looking to buy in the CT area, I recommend MINI OF Fairfield County. They scanned the key, told me it was increased emissions code and it just was simply on because the car was getting used to the better flow of air through the engine due to the AGS-R. Nothing wrong except for the fact that the car was running better than stock and the sensors were confused. Also nice to know the flow of air with the AGS-R is much improved over stock.

The sut was like you said not a biproduct of the light as I checked the clamps and none had carbon on them. To top it off, I went to start the car after leaving the service desk and to my surprise the light has gone away and stayed away for aabout 6 stops/starts today. And no, they did not reset it as he told me they would need to bring it in to service and do it at a charge, so there was no way I was doing that for nothing.

Thanks everyone for the input, I feel so much better now.
what was the error code? Their explanation sounds like absolute BS. The car doesn't 'get used to things'. It's other operating within tolerance or not.

it sounds like P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold. Does that sound right?

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:12 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
The tube is off because I was not satified with the fit (see my gallery), it was just cut too short. I returned it to ALTA, and Adam has promised me a longer one (I'm still waiting for the replacement).

I have not yet attempted the pre-charge pipe install. From all I've read, the removal of the stock pipe (particularly the muffler) will be a PITA. So, I'm waiting for a weekend when I have lots of time, and there's still some good weather, to put the front end on jack stands, remove the front bumper and possibly the upper grill, move the rad over-flow bottle, and do all my front end work at once.

Let me know if you're going to be in the Vancouver area and want to help -- there'll be a few cold ones at the end!
The cold side pipe on the back end where the sound generator connects was a real PITA because space is so tight and the Alta Boost Tube is like a bloated pig you're trying to stuff into a pillowcase while it kicks and bites.

The hot side pipe in front was a piece of cake by comparison. The bolt for the muffler is easy to reach from under the car without removing anything else, then you just have to unscrew the end clamps and you're golden. Best of luck with it.

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:32 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
thanks!

Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
The hot side pipe in front was a piece of cake by comparison. The bolt for the muffler is easy to reach from under the car without removing anything else, then you just have to unscrew the end clamps and you're golden. Best of luck with it.
I will have to remove the front bumper to do the intercooler bezel so I was going to wait with the hot side tube, but this sounds almost as simple at the turbo inlet tube (which is a very quick job). There are so many posts here on NAM about what a PITA the muffler is to reach, that I assumed it would be a making job. Maybe this will be a quickie mod for this weekend! I want to get things out of the "to install" list (although I have plans to put a few more things there soon!)

Old 10-07-2008 | 04:42 PM
slinger688
6th Gear

I sent back my Alta turbo tube as well and am waiting for a replacement. Terrible fit.

Happy to help with the M7 pre-charge tube if you need it. I have done two already so am getting better. Send me a PM, I can talk you thru the whole thing. Perhaps 1/2 hour.

Old 10-07-2008 | 05:42 PM
scott48
6th Gear
hang on there... going to the dealer to address aftermarket issues is just going to end up costing you money and have your altering practices noted in your file. This happened to me, though not by choice. My CEL came up while I was driving to the dealer for regular service.

Find out which auto parts stores (usually Auto Zone) will scan codes for you and do it there. Or buy a scanner from a place like Kragen that has a return policy so you can keep it long enough to address the problem. There's a good chance the issue is with the turboback as that's been very common. I had a CEL that popped up after having the turboback for 6 months. If that's it, Alta will send you a small extender for the second o2 sensor to address it. If the soot is very concentrated on and around the v-clamps it could be a small leak from the pipes not being aligned correctly or the v-clamp being too tight or not tight enough. If it's just on the pipe all the way down I'm more inclined to think it's just from the road. Water splashes up and onto the pipe then evaporates leaving dirt and minerals.
What is this "small extender" you speak of? I have a CEL(I believe that Cat efficiency threshold one) from my exhaust after about 8months of use and would like to get it solved.

Old 10-08-2008 | 08:12 AM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
what was the error code? Their explanation sounds like absolute BS. The car doesn't 'get used to things'. It's other operating within tolerance or not.

it sounds like P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold. Does that sound right?

No, it was code 0031 - Increased Emissions. However, you are probably right about the cat code. I still haven't had an CEL come on since.

Old 10-08-2008 | 01:31 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
I think I am going to AutoZone for one of those OBD code readers. It is a whole language I need to pick up.

Thanks FugitiveAI and dtsoccer6 for all the info.

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:03 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Best Engine Monitor I've seen!!!

On my last car, you would count the flashes and pauses from the CE after turning ign on/off/on/off/on and then look up the number code.

Just visited the MINI&MICKEY and got this ScanGauge from Way Motor Works:

Waylen explained how to install and setup in about one minute, in addition to reading (and resetting if desired) the CEL and other error codes,
it provides a continious display of any four (including Turbo Boost) of 12-27 powerplant parameters (any information in your ECU Computer).

Also has a programable (can trim it) trip computer including memory of last three trips