Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Not all MINIs are problematic

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 11:35 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
4 months and 4,000 problem free miles!

Old 10-31-2008 | 04:36 AM
Tennessee Cutty
2nd Gear
8500 miles in 3 months, no issues at all!

Old 10-31-2008 | 04:52 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
...and your point is?? This is the section where owners report issues with their cars. It is one of the MOST important forums on this website.

While yes...you are lucky. Some of the folks here are not and you coming in with a post like this may irritate some posters on this board that are trying to get answers to some of their sometimes huge problems. I think we all know, not EVERY Mini has the same problems.

It would be like going on a job board where the forum is job loss and telling everyone "...its not so bad, I have a job..."

BTW, my car so far, has no issues. I like to come here to see what issues other drivers are experiencing in hopes of maybe helping. But mostly I come here to see what maybe in store for me. I think a post like this belongs on the general forum where people are less sensitive to the fact that some people have a "perfect" Mini.

Old 10-31-2008 | 05:49 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
...and your point is??
I would guess (and it is no more than that) that reports here and elsewhere on NAM benefit from a counterbalance lest potential owners are excessively put off by concentrations of problem reports. This happens all the time, and we see desperate folks seeking reassurance in various other threads because the news, from here anyway, can look all bad.

It's true that it is a bit off-topic here, but then again, I can see where there is no better place for this idea to bubble up. It is one thread among many...I doubt it will skew the direction of this forum, but it may calm a few frayed nerves out there.

I'm thinking that was the intention.

Old 10-31-2008 | 06:18 AM
leicaguy
|
4th Gear
...and your point is?? This is the section where owners report issues with their cars. It is one of the MOST important forums on this website.

While yes...you are lucky. Some of the folks here are not and you coming in with a post like this may irritate some posters on this board that are trying to get answers to some of their sometimes huge problems. I think we all know, not EVERY Mini has the same problems.

It would be like going on a job board where the forum is job loss and telling everyone "...its not so bad, I have a job..."

BTW, my car so far, has no issues. I like to come here to see what issues other drivers are experiencing in hopes of maybe helping. But mostly I come here to see what maybe in store for me. I think a post like this belongs on the general forum where people are less sensitive to the fact that some people have a "perfect" Mini.
Yea, I was afraid someone would take this view. I thought I stated "my point" very clearly in the first post. Maybe I wan't clear. This thread was in no way intended as "ha ha, my MINI is perfect" and yours isn't. I really don't know why anyone would think that way anyway. It was soley to reassure wantabee MINI buyers that MINI is no more of a problem car than most other cars. Reading a forum like this can lead someone to think that a MINI is just a boat load of issues. True, anyone that reads the forum should realize the purpose of the forum and understand that it will be full of the worst kind of stories. However, it isn't always easy to to do. I don't think one thread reminding people of this is inappropriate at all.

Old 10-31-2008 | 07:32 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by leicaguy
Yea, I was afraid someone would take this view. I thought I stated "my point" very clearly in the first post...
You did...and I interpreted it exactly in the way you intended it.

I don't think SmokeM's analogy is quite on the button (i.e., ..."like going on a job board where the forum is job loss and telling everyone "...its not so bad, I have a job..."). To me it's more like joining a job loss discussion where an impression is being left that everyone is losing their jobs, and helping to share an otherwise missing sense of reality.

In fact, if I were someone considering a first-time purchase I would be very much appreciative of the perspective you added, since not everyone realizes that this forum--rightfully so--is a long list of "squeeky wheel" experiences and unrepresentative of the reliability of the vehicle across the whole population.

Old 10-31-2008 | 09:13 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Yea, I was afraid someone would take this view. I thought I stated "my point" very clearly in the first post. Maybe I wan't clear. This thread was in no way intended as "ha ha, my MINI is perfect" and yours isn't. I really don't know why anyone would think that way anyway. It was soley to reassure wantabee MINI buyers that MINI is no more of a problem car than most other cars. Reading a forum like this can lead someone to think that a MINI is just a boat load of issues. True, anyone that reads the forum should realize the purpose of the forum and understand that it will be full of the worst kind of stories. However, it isn't always easy to to do. I don't think one thread reminding people of this is inappropriate at all.
Yeah, you stated your point. But you know what, by stating your point HERE you are diminishing these folk's REAL problems. No one with a blown engine or a cold start issue or a suspension rattle or s*h*i*t* falling apart wants to read your post about how you claim most Mini's aren't like theirs. No one going back and forth to a dealer because the problem can't be replicated wants to really read this post. They're friggin mad, I know I would be. They spent some solid dollars on car that's not working to their expectations. They want to read solutions, not about how they're the sorry suckers because they got junk cars (implied by your post).

Put yourself in their shoes. If your motor blew up tomorrow and the dealer was blaming you or they wouldn't fix something, would you look kindly on a post such as yours?

And quite frankly, unless you have a stock problem or issue you are reporting on, i don't think your post belongs here. Am I right?

Also, if someone decides on NOT purchasing the Mini based on this board, they're not too bright are they? I spent a month on this board reading up on EVERY issue. The cold start issue has/had me concerned the most but based on the overall direction the resolution was headed, and the overall reliability I've read about the Mini, I took a chance and bought mine. But as an educated consumer, I did not use this board as my decision maker. You'd be riding a bike to work if you relied on just these types of boards.

Last edited by SmokeM; 10-31-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2008 | 09:59 AM
leicaguy
|
4th Gear
thank you, you've had your say.

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:07 AM
leicaguy
|
4th Gear
And quite frankly, unless you have a stock problem or issue you are reporting on, i don't think your post belongs here. Am I right?

Oh, I almost forgot. If you feel this way report the thread to a moderator and have them remove it.

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:24 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Deutsch
While it's great MINI wants to maintain exclusivity of its cars through a limited dealer network this is also a problem. Let's hope BMWNA builds more MINI dealers that are more accessible to owners everywhere.
At least make the service end more accessible so the Montana motorer doesnt have to go all the way to SLC or MN or Denver for service.

My R53 was one huge problem-- clutches, flywheels, steering racks, motor mounts, terrible F&F to the point I dumped it after 3.5 years/27K miles. However the dealer has been nothing but awesome, so while I soured on the R53, I have not soured on the brand. My new R56 should be here next week so Im remaining positive; if it's a HOS then it's back to Cadillac.

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:30 AM
leicaguy
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
At least make the service end more accessible so the Montana motorer doesnt have to go all the way to SLC or MN or Denver for service.

My R53 was one huge problem-- clutches, flywheels, steering racks, motor mounts, terrible F&F to the point I dumped it after 3.5 years/27K miles. However the dealer has been nothing but awesome, so while I soured on the R53, I have not soured on the brand. My new R56 should be here next week so Im remaining positive; if it's a HOS then it's back to Cadillac.
Congrats on your new R56. I got a feeling you'll like it.

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:36 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I would never diminish an owner's angst over trouble w/ their MINI...no way. But I think it is important to remember that MINIs should be "right" and many/most are. Those seeking fixes to massive problems need to have that totally dealt with and hold MINI's feet to the flame as needed. These are pretty good cars overall.....that's not being said to gloat, but to reinforce that one may/should expect good things out of their MINI, and if that takes a bit of sorting out to accomlish so be it. No need to settle!!

Based on this, I personally I think an occasional thread/post like this is fine in this forum, and if that seems chaotic....well, welcome to NAM!!!

Old 10-31-2008 | 12:26 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Yeah, you stated your point. But you know what, by stating your point HERE you are diminishing these folk's REAL problems. No one with a blown engine or a cold start issue or a suspension rattle or s*h*i*t* falling apart wants to read your post about how you claim most Mini's aren't like theirs. No one going back and forth to a dealer because the problem can't be replicated wants to really read this post. They're friggin mad, I know I would be. They spent some solid dollars on car that's not working to their expectations. They want to read solutions, not about how they're the sorry suckers because they got junk cars (implied by your post).
...and if, in seeking solutions, they come to this forum and instead click on a link entitled "Not all MINIs are problematic" (which obviously isn't going to offer what they seek) I'd say they've buttered their own bread.

Sheesh, did they run out of tickets to the parade today?

Old 11-03-2008 | 08:38 AM
LtRex
4th Gear
It is funny to read about the guys that have the 08 MC __ with a handful of miles on them say they have had no problems.........

WELL I HOPE NOT!!!!

I don't think the Mini Cooper sales would continue to climb if they were being towed back to the shop days after delivery!

Old 11-04-2008 | 09:19 AM
accel
2nd Gear
I want to reasure anyone who is thinking of buying a MINI or has just bought one. Reading this forum can lead one to believe that MINIs are just one big bag of problems. That is not true. Remember that this is the forum where all you hear about is problems.
This is true... But being Honda customer for a while I could say that Honda forums have much less topics dedicated to car issues. I have never seen specific forums dedicated to Stock problems and\or issues like this one.

BMW forums are full of BMW fanatics, but then you realize that a lot of them lease their cars for the primary reason - cannot afford to buy one, and the secondary one - do not want to maintain one in post warranty period due to issues. At Honda forums I see that most of the owners buy cars to keep them for a while as they trust build quality and overall durability of the product.

Having said that... and being Honda buyer three times in a row... I have ordered MCS for my wife. She doesn't know this yet. I know the car will make her happy like nothing else. I hope warranty period will allow us to fix the issues if any (but I also hope to be lucky and have no issues). And I hope to be able to keep the car for a long time after warranty expires like we did with all other cars we owned... The car just has its charm and explicit character and the excitement of ownership should not fade with years.

But I decided not to sell her 2000 honda just in case... The car had no issues yet. I mean 0. Not even a light bulb replaced.

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:08 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Pro's and con's are good, balance is important!! Negative reviews highlight issues which need to be addressed, and positive reviews point out the good merits of our MINIs. Both type of threads are just as important to me! Thanks for both!!

Old 11-04-2008 | 12:55 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
I want to reasure anyone who is thinking of buying a MINI or has just bought one. Reading this forum can lead one to believe that MINIs are just one big bag of problems. That is not true. Remember that this is the forum where all you hear about is problems. Seldom do you hear about the multitudes of owners who have no problems at all. <...>Just remember that this forum magnifies the problems of a few and ignores the vast majority that are essentially trouble free.
Yea, I was afraid someone would take this view. I thought I stated "my point" very clearly in the first post. <...>
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
You did...and I interpreted it exactly in the way you intended it.

I don't think SmokeM's analogy is quite on the button (i.e., ..."like going on a job board where the forum is job loss and telling everyone "...its not so bad, I have a job..."). To me it's more like joining a job loss discussion where an impression is being left that everyone is losing their jobs, and helping to share an otherwise missing sense of reality.

In fact, if I were someone considering a first-time purchase I would be very much appreciative of the perspective you added, since not everyone realizes that this forum--rightfully so--is a long list of "squeeky wheel" experiences and unrepresentative of the reliability of the vehicle across the whole population.
Especially given the distance to a MINI Dealer for most of us.

I have always looked at the "Stock Problems/Issues" Board as information to 'head-off' a possible future issue.

Like the "Hood Release Cable Broke" fault; my hood release was a little stiff, thanks for others reports,
was able to see that it needed lubed and where. Now my hood release is no longer "stiff" and expect it will never fail.

Other issues,
like the "Sunroof Does Not Open When It's Warm Out" was an issue that I would never have been aware of without reading here.

My 'profile' has my MINI parked in the hot sun on very rare occasion and so this issue was never seen,
but after reading this board and creating a 'test', I was able to confirm that issue could occur.

Not enough of an issue for me to make a special (2.5 hour) trip to the Dealer
and I prefer to watch the Thread to assure a true, no-problem 'fix' anyway.
Depending on reports in here about this issue, I may request a 'fix' at my annual service, next summer.

Only other issue on mine has been the "Amber Gear icon showing... sometimes" that seems unique to March/April'08 builds.

Again, I never thought anything of it until read in here, but have so much appreciated ability to move the car a foot or two inside garage or hangar,
(without having to get in and turn on ignition and step on brake to release Park) that I will be unlikely to ever request any change in that issue.

Since the above items presented no problem for me, I could never consider my MINI to be "Problematic"

Absolutely no rattle or creak and the 'Fit & Finish' is excellent and everything works for me as it should.

It has been just over six months now and love driving this MINI more and more every trip.

Old 11-04-2008 | 02:43 PM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
I have had my MCS 6spd since 03/2008. I am at around 9000 miles on mine and only have one minor issue. Passenger's side windows was acting weird so replaced the window motor. This is a great car and it's a blast.

Old 11-27-2008 | 05:33 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
As an "expectant owner" awaiting delivery, I think this post is helpful. I think the entire forum is quite useful, too.
I've learned some things to be on the lookout for when I go to pick up my Mini at delivery. And it's quite good to strike a balance that not all owners are having problems.

I also know that it's my choice as to which threads I open. The title is descriptive. If you don't want to read it, don't open it.
Seems simple enough.

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:01 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Mini is a great car """"BUT"""""

I love my 2009 JCW but I do have a problem. (((I don't drive it enough ))) I'm busy with things at home and never seem to get to drive my car as much as I would like to. That is my biggest problem. So far the "Little Red Monster" is still perfect with no defects that I have found. Of course I only have 1,500 miles on it.
As far as reading about the good verses the bad mini cooper problems I find that Everyone needs to be well informed about any problems as well as the owners that never have any problems. That is why we are Forum members. It is to talk about our Mini's and learn if a continuing problem exists so the BMW company will be informed and correct the situation. Example is the R56 tips sticking out and burning peoples legs. BMW addressed the situation and all because of them realizing that it was more then just a few people having this problem. I'm sure they read everything on all of these forums and learn a lot about what needs to be addressed and what can be done to satisfy their customers.
I was on the Corvette forum and it was really no different then this one as far as comunicating the good & bad features of the cars.
Ronnie

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:19 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
My R53 was a serious disaster for the first 4 years and 40,000 miles. (the '02s were particularly problematic) It's finally been sorted out and has not exhibited any problems in the past 2 years and 25,000 miles. The R56s are hit or miss. Most seem to be quite reliable, but there is a significant population of Gen2 cars with serious problems that BMW doesn't seem to be able to sort out. Regardless, we will be acquiring another MINI next year, not to replace the '02, but to replace the '89 Legend that hs had no issues in its 185,000 mile life. The fun factor far outweighs the unreliability risk.

Old 11-27-2008 | 08:01 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Some perspective here....

I have owned a total of 4 MINIs..... First one brought brand new in August of 2002. Kept that car for 6 years and almost 50K miles ('02 R50 CVT). Only few minor annoyances that affected first year models of the previous generation MINI. Otherwise the car was a solid daily driver. Never left us stranded anywhere. I sold the car here to another fellow NAMer that has been enjoying it since February and now lives in California.

I have also owned a 2004 R53 MCS that I kept for 17K troublefree miles. After that I got a 2005 R53 MCS hardtop 6-speed, which I still have, and drives and feels LIKE NEW. I have a hair over 50K troublefree miles on it. I take care of my cars but I don't baby them excessively. They are family cars, vacation cars, works cars, you name it. My '05 still ticks like the finest piece of Swiss watch machinery.

MINI #4 is a 2008 Clubman S that we took home this past February. Almost 7K miles and not a single problem. No melted hoodscoop, no failures of any kind. Solid reliable car that gets USED day and day out. No garage/detail queen there either.

So in all and all, we have had nearly 100K total miles combined under of belts for the past 7 years. I can say with confidence (and this goes to prospect buyers) that these are very well made, high quality vehicles. Indeed there are bad apples, but this is true of every other mass produced car manufacturer in the world. If you think the grass is greener in Japan, inc (I owned nothing but Hondas and Acuras for 12 years and well over $100K worth of their products on my driveway), think again. If you go and read Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Lexus boards...Guess what? They all have their own problems too. In fact, if you read too much into internet message boards, you will come to the conclusion that no car in the market today is 100% guaranteed to perform problem free during its service life.

Unhappy/disgruntled owners tend to be more vocal in internet message boards and they have all their right to be. But like a hospital ward, you only here about problems and complaints. How many troublefree MINI owners come here and post that their car worked just fine today, yesterday, the day before and last month?

It is good to educate yourself in potential problem areas of a car, but that doesn't mean IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!

When you buy a MINI make sure you are purchasing from a dealer with a decent reputation to stand behind the product and address issues effectively and timely when these arise. If you marry yourself into a lousy dealer, you will eventually grow to HATE the car because minor problems become big problems when dealing with an incompetent and uncaring service department. Make a top priority to find out how the service dept deals with problems before buying. This will save you many headaches down the road.

I hope owners of troubled MINIs can have their issues solved of move onto something else.

For the rest of us... Carry on enjoying our troublefree rides!

Old 11-27-2008 | 09:26 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Great thread. I've only had one problem with the bonnet sticking, which I lubed myself to fix. My car is still very new but I fell my experience is still worth mentioning because some problems for some people have started nearly from day one. I have never seen this high of a level of initial quality in a car and yes, I am very picky as well. I have also owned some quality cars in the past. Well, expensive cars anyway.

Old 11-27-2008 | 01:23 PM
mini on
4th Gear
I'm glad I bought my Mini which I've had 8 months and about 10k miles. The car doesn't appear to have any problems and is engineered quite nicely. From some of the posts I have read I think some people create some of their own problems. Heck some people even have problems and haven't even taken delivery of there car yet. Furthermore I'd be willing to bet that many(not all) operate theirs a lot harder than they were designed to. Having sold cars for 8 years if the experience starts out bad it usually never gets better. Give your car some good car karma. And for those that really are having trouble I wish them the best.

Old 11-27-2008 | 08:50 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Mine has been alright. I had a bad water pump, but that was fixed quickly and i got a loaner. The only other problem was a software bug that wouldn't reset the maintenance clock.

Quick Reply: Not all MINIs are problematic