Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Not all MINIs are problematic

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 09:16 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Some perspective here....

I have owned a total of 4 MINIs..... First one brought brand new in August of 2002. Kept that car for 6 years and almost 50K miles ('02 R50 CVT). Only few minor annoyances that affected first year models of the previous generation MINI. Otherwise the car was a solid daily driver. Never left us stranded anywhere. I sold the car here to another fellow NAMer that has been enjoying it since February and now lives in California.

I have also owned a 2004 R53 MCS that I kept for 17K troublefree miles. After that I got a 2005 R53 MCS hardtop 6-speed, which I still have, and drives and feels LIKE NEW. I have a hair over 50K troublefree miles on it. I take care of my cars but I don't baby them excessively. They are family cars, vacation cars, works cars, you name it. My '05 still ticks like the finest piece of Swiss watch machinery.

MINI #4 is a 2008 Clubman S that we took home this past February. Almost 7K miles and not a single problem. No melted hoodscoop, no failures of any kind. Solid reliable car that gets USED day and day out. No garage/detail queen there either.

So in all and all, we have had nearly 100K total miles combined under of belts for the past 7 years. I can say with confidence (and this goes to prospect buyers) that these are very well made, high quality vehicles. Indeed there are bad apples, but this is true of every other mass produced car manufacturer in the world. If you think the grass is greener in Japan, inc (I owned nothing but Hondas and Acuras for 12 years and well over $100K worth of their products on my driveway), think again. If you go and read Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Lexus boards...Guess what? They all have their own problems too. In fact, if you read too much into internet message boards, you will come to the conclusion that no car in the market today is 100% guaranteed to perform problem free during its service life.

Unhappy/disgruntled owners tend to be more vocal in internet message boards and they have all their right to be. But like a hospital ward, you only here about problems and complaints. How many troublefree MINI owners come here and post that their car worked just fine today, yesterday, the day before and last month?

It is good to educate yourself in potential problem areas of a car, but that doesn't mean IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!

When you buy a MINI make sure you are purchasing from a dealer with a decent reputation to stand behind the product and address issues effectively and timely when these arise. If you marry yourself into a lousy dealer, you will eventually grow to HATE the car because minor problems become big problems when dealing with an incompetent and uncaring service department. Make a top priority to find out how the service dept deals with problems before buying. This will save you many headaches down the road.

I hope owners of troubled MINIs can have their issues solved of move onto something else.

For the rest of us... Carry on enjoying our troublefree rides!
Great post! I'm on my third MINI now(with fourth in production) that has been great for over 60k since I picked her up last October. Prior to my current MINI I've also owned an '03 R50 CVT(purchased new) that gave me over 120k trouble free miles and my last '05 R53(purchased new) that I put over 158k with NO problems.

Old 11-28-2008 | 05:54 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
I have owned my Vin for about a week now with 0 problems! Lets hope the mini will be the same when it arrives! lol

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:01 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Good thread with many interesting posts

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:59 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Two 2006 JustaCoopers and one 2005 MCS convertible, with a combined 102,000 miles on them and not a single problem <<knocks on wood>>.

The MINI comes with a great warranty, is engineered by a great company, and the company has a pretty good service reputation. Buy with confidence.

Old 11-30-2008 | 07:06 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I was considering buying a new vacuum. We seem to need a new one every three years. This time my wife said "Let's look at one of those real expensive Dysons. It might be worth paying twice the usual price if it lasts three times as long." So then I decided to do some research on the internet. After Googling "Dyson Animal" vacuums I was left with the impression that these $500 vacuums were the biggest POS in the world. I then sought out info from Consumer Reports, CNET and other reviewers where I got an entirely different story. I've had similar experiences with other items I thought about buying: MP3 players, headphones, computers, furniture and even cars. It seems that the people that feel like taking the time to post a personal review of a product are primarily those that have had problems. Peruse your favorite sports team's website. I guarantee that the forums are busiest whenever that team loses. People are more motivated to express dissatisfaction than to post positive vibes. That's what has been happening here on NAM.

I am grateful that someone started a thread exalting the many many virtues of this excellent vehicle. Sometimes we need to hear something positive instead of just negativity. I'd venture to say that even the Ferrari and Lambo forums are also full of stories about the owners' problems.

Old 11-30-2008 | 09:50 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Great car, would buy again. But I do have one annoying rattle on the left side of the car, probably underside. Going in for the first checkup(after 12 months) in 2 weeks & hope they can find it.

Old 12-01-2008 | 07:42 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leicaguy
Reading this forum can lead one to believe that MINIs are just one big bag of problems. That is not true.
Truth is a matter of perspective. Glad for you that your vista has not been clouded, yet.

Old 12-01-2008 | 07:48 AM
SeaJayAre
1st Gear
I'm on #2 and so far so good. #1 had an engine and two transmissions replaced. So for me it's 50/50.

Old 12-01-2008 | 03:35 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Truth is a matter of perspective. Glad for you that your vista has not been clouded, yet.
It depends how you "view" the glass my friend... Is it half full or half empty?

Old 12-02-2008 | 05:53 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
It depends how you "view" the glass my friend... Is it half full or half empty?
It seems that you are looking at your glass from the bottom up my friend.

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:37 AM
maivin
Neutral
Does Mini Care?

I do not expect every car produced to be trouble free or without design defects, what I do expect is that the manufacturer will correct defects and keep its customers satisfied, in or out of warranty. I had a Mercedes C320 (not a trouble free vehicle) but the Mercedes dealership (Devon,PA) was excellent, they pick up the car and leave the loaner and after servicing bring back my car and picked up the loaner. After reading your post and some of the others I am more concerned that BMW does not provide adequate support (which is the reason I bought a Yamaha motorcycle instead of a BMW- at least I am not paying an extra $5k for support that I am not getting).
My question is simple: Has Mini and the dealership been responsive and corrected problems without making you fight for the service and repairs that you are entitled to?

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:50 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Maivin,

Please don't post the same question on two different threads. We saw the other one and don't need to read it twice. (I can't answer your question, but I'm sure others will).

Old 12-02-2008 | 10:22 AM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
After reading "the problem" threads..It makes me just want to lease. If i was a rich guy i would buy. since i would have other resources when the car breaks down.. I have been a member of a few other forums in the past, The Mini makes Mustang and Jeep Wranglers look like the most reliable cars on the road. IF you drive a mustang your problems are like.. I broke the axle because i bolted on a 250 shot of NOS and tried to do a Holeshot.
Jeep problem I snapped an axle when i was trying to climb some rocks in MOAB... the Mini i turn left alot and the power steering pump went out...thats $600 Oh I was racing a SUpra and my transmission exploded...thats $8000 ...My car has less then 10,000 miles on it and during cold weather when it starts it sounds like metal on metal... Price unknown ..

The Mini can have many expensive little problems. However fun to drive
However I said this already somewhere... Its alotta technology in a small package so it will have Gremlins... Its either that or their engineers couldnt build the car the way they really wanted and had to use inferior parts to keep the price down...

I will still get one though... just a few more months ...it wont be my daily driver though

Last edited by guywhomaybuyamini; 12-02-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: proofreading
Old 12-02-2008 | 12:55 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maivin
My question is simple: Has Mini and the dealership been responsive and corrected problems without making you fight for the service and repairs that you are entitled to?
Ditto on the double post. Just a reminder on mods, the dealer and manufacturer probably will not warranty a part or a MINI in which the mods may have an effect on the problem. That's not really a case where I would say the dealership or MINI was unresponsive. If you want to mod, do it after the warranty period or by an out of warranty MINI.
Something as simple as painting may void a warranty if the original product was not intended to be painted by the manufacturer.
Just some thoughts, and I don't have any experience with the dealerships and warranty issues as far as MINIs are concerned, and I don't have any reason to believe they would be difficult if an issue came up during my warranty period.