Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

WARNING:: OEM Plate frame causing RUST

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
WARNING:: OEM Plate frame causing RUST

For 3 years I've had the OEM "Lets Motor" black plate frame installed on my hatch. Today, I was detailing and did the quarterly plate removal to clean underneath the plate and noticed something disturbing.

The top of my plate frame had been cutting into my paint, it just the clear coat paint and primer down and the metal has started to rust. the gouge to the primer is just shy of the width of the VIN placard below it, the rust is spotted throughout the center.

I have to go to the auto parts store to get some paint repair supplies as I am well out of warranty, so I will post the photos of the damage later tonight, however I wanted to get the information out there ASAP so other people with metal OEM plate frames can check to make sure they do not have similar damage. If you do please post here and post photos of the damage if possible, I'd like to see if this is a one time or common trend, if it is common I want to notify MINI so more cars (esp those of non enthusiasts that don't read sites like NAM) wont have to suffer the damage.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
The damage

Here's one for a little scale....

Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
serbiasrt8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///

Originally Posted by Motor On
The damage

Here's one for a little scale....
Looks like the frame was on there too tight.
Also i suggest padding the frame before puting it back on.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by serbiasrt8
Looks like the frame was on there too tight.
Also i suggest padding the frame before puting it back on.
When the OEM bracket was installed by design it sat about 1/4 in off the paint, my suspicion is the that because the frame reached behind the plate, and the two screws, holding the bracket on allowed the plate to flex vertically (there is a symmetrical but shallower gouge in the same place on the bottom).

The stock one is NOT going back on, I will be installing an aftermarket one that will be lined with weather stripping. Based on where the padding was on the OEM bracket, as long as I clay bar and wax before install the new bracket will be flush across the paint instead of tiny patches, eliminating the chance for anything but foam to touch the paint and minimizing vibration. Also the new brackets lack over hang and are all plastic instead of metal. Preventing further rust is the primary goal.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 AM
serbiasrt8
1st Gear
///

You got it all figured out buddy!Im your fan!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
putting paint over rust isnt going to help but just mask the problem until it gets worse. you will need to sand the area down and get ride of the rust and prime and paint.

being i know that isnt a option for most of us to do and the area your doing is sorta hiden mostly. goto the part store and find something called navel jelly. its a product that stops rust and reverses the process from spreading. then you can just touch up the area with a paint stick. good luck