Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P2404 code '05 MCC

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P2404 code '05 MCC

Hi, Folks

an OBDII tool has identified my new dummy light as P2404, which my bentley manual claims is:
"Evaporative emission system leak detection pump sense circuit range/performance"
But the manual doesn't indicate what i might want to do about this. Car is out of warranty 2 months ago.
Mini cooper convertible sept 2004 build.
Gas cap is damn tight.
Rotated the tires last weekend. Perchance i broke something? Another p2404 thread indicates the parts associated with this code are located in wheel wells, but i was very careful, and i've rotated many times before without incident.

Where are the parts associated with this code on my model? What am i looking for/what does it look like?

Any advice is appreciated
Regards,
Eric

Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ECM will check for a leak in the system after a cold soak period if the fuel level is greater than 1/4 tank but less than 3/4 tank. On my car this almost always happen in the morning after being parked all night; if I start the car and let it idle within a few minutes I can hear a clicking sound coming from the LDP area. The ECM directs vacuum on and off through a solenoid valve. the vacuum is used to cycle a diaphragm in the pump. The action of the diaphragm pressurizes the tank. A mechanical switch is opened and closed as the diaphragm moves from one end of its travel to the other. As the pressure builds the time between switch actuation increases. Eventually the ECM will stop cycling the pump after the tank is pressurized. The ECM now pays very close attention to the switch; the idea is if the tank pressure decays the diaphragm will reflect this by relaxing and cycle the switch again. If a certain amount of time passes and the switch does not actuate it is an indication that the system can hold pressure and there is no leak. Use an OBD tool to check the readiness monitor. If the monitor shows a ready status it means the test was executed; it doesn't mean the test passed! You must look else where in the scan tools for the results of the test ($MODE06). If the test fails once it should set a pending code($MODE07). If the test fails twice in a row a hard code is set ($MODE03) and the SES light is illuminated.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the help

I cleared the error and it has not returned for a week. I heard the clicking this morning, and no dummy light. A Co-worker reminded me that i filled up my car in NJ about a week before my problem -- and as we all know, NJ is FULL service only, so at this point, i am surmising that the pump jockey left my gas cap loose.

thanks for the otherwise interesting information!

Regards,
Eric

Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
falconshadow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LDP pump replacemet

Originally Posted by frenchie
The ECM will check for a leak in the system after a cold soak period if the fuel level is greater than 1/4 tank but less than 3/4 tank. On my car this almost always happen in the morning after being parked all night; if I start the car and let it idle within a few minutes I can hear a clicking sound coming from the LDP area. The ECM directs vacuum on and off through a solenoid valve. the vacuum is used to cycle a diaphragm in the pump. The action of the diaphragm pressurizes the tank. A mechanical switch is opened and closed as the diaphragm moves from one end of its travel to the other. As the pressure builds the time between switch actuation increases. Eventually the ECM will stop cycling the pump after the tank is pressurized. The ECM now pays very close attention to the switch; the idea is if the tank pressure decays the diaphragm will reflect this by relaxing and cycle the switch again. If a certain amount of time passes and the switch does not actuate it is an indication that the system can hold pressure and there is no leak. Use an OBD tool to check the readiness monitor. If the monitor shows a ready status it means the test was executed; it doesn't mean the test passed! You must look else where in the scan tools for the results of the test ($MODE06). If the test fails once it should set a pending code($MODE07). If the test fails twice in a row a hard code is set ($MODE03) and the SES light is illuminated.
I recently had a similar issue. The SES came on and OBD tool showed it was an emissions control system leak, very small code P0442. Anyway I took it to the dealer because it couldn't hunt the issue down. They did a smoke test and said the LDP pump was bad, leaking. $400 later I'm 2 weeks out from the replacement of the pump, (I did that myself) and the darn light comes back on this week, right after filling the tank up. Cap is on tight. I haven't checked the pump again, but I'm sure I put it back together properly and it was buttoned up tight. Should I stop filling up? Just go half tanks? Damn car.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falconshadow
I recently had a similar issue. The SES came on and OBD tool showed it was an emissions control system leak, very small code P0442. Anyway I took it to the dealer because it couldn't hunt the issue down. They did a smoke test and said the LDP pump was bad, leaking. $400 later I'm 2 weeks out from the replacement of the pump, (I did that myself) and the darn light comes back on this week, right after filling the tank up. Cap is on tight. I haven't checked the pump again, but I'm sure I put it back together properly and it was buttoned up tight. Should I stop filling up? Just go half tanks? Damn car.
Going half tank will not resolve the issue; what code are you getting now that the light is back on? If its the same code then you still have a leak!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM
kperez85
Neutral
If I clear the SES light using the Scan Gauge II, do I run the risk of any permanent damage to the evaporative system, LDP pump etc. or will the light simply come back but no harm done to the car?... BTW the car threw this code after I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI. Car is a '06 MCS Sept '06 build.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM
jedombroski
Neutral
I recently had this P2404 on my 05 mini s. After replacing the LDP and still getting the same error I starting looking into the wiring. There should be 12v on the white/red wire feeding the ldp which was present. After ringing out the other two wires, the black/green wire was open going to the computer. This is the readout wire that sends the feedback signal from the switch in the ldp. Apparently the computer was never seeing this signal and threw this code. The wire was broken about 6" away from the plug that goes into the computer. Btw, you get this same error code if you leave the 3 pin connector off of the ldp.