Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa problem/ big problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSa problem/ big problem?

so i was on the freeway yesterday, and was stuck in traffic, the car ahead of me scoots up. so I do too, but when i pressed the accelerator, the engine just revved, and i was just moving forward off of momentum. I tried sticking it into SD, and nothing. the engine just kept reving without moving. I signal to pull over, and the car starts to get power though. The accelerator works again, but the engine has no pull, almost as if i didnt even have a supercharger, it was really sluggish. so I pull off the freeway, because i can barely keep up with the speeds, as traffic starts to break up. so i open my bonnet, and everythings in place, the belt, intake filter, and all the wires. start the car, and everything is back to normal...

do you guys think its just a hiccup? or should i have it checked out?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It wouldn't hurt to have some mechanic with a fancy computer scanner to look at it. Even if the car didn't throw a code, there still might be a record of what happened in the computer. I'm about 75% sure of this.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
scary. i have an 06 MCSa also. I'd be making an appt at the dealer if it were me.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
I've not had this problem in my 06 MCSa, but have had it stall once or twice at very low speeds in parking lots. Let us know what you find out, so we might know what to look out for.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
well I drove to LA from my house (a good 1 1/2 hour drive), and everything seems fine, but I'm thinking of scheduling an appt with my dealer to see what happened yesterday

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by everytimeidie027
so i was on the freeway yesterday, and was stuck in traffic, the car ahead of me scoots up. so I do too, but when i pressed the accelerator, the engine just revved, and i was just moving forward off of momentum. I tried sticking it into SD, and nothing. the engine just kept reving without moving. I signal to pull over, and the car starts to get power though. The accelerator works again, but the engine has no pull, almost as if i didnt even have a supercharger, it was really sluggish. so I pull off the freeway, because i can barely keep up with the speeds, as traffic starts to break up. so i open my bonnet, and everythings in place, the belt, intake filter, and all the wires. start the car, and everything is back to normal...

do you guys think its just a hiccup? or should i have it checked out?
My Jag did this to me two years ago. Dealer picked it up and towed it to Hanover, about 70 miles away on their dime.....Turned out the computer put the car into what is called "limp mode". If the cars computer detects an issue with the transmission or braking system, it automatically cuts engine power only giving you enough to pull of the roadway and call for help.

In my case with the jag, it was a bad rear caliper spring/ebrake issue. Mechanic said that sometimes these matters rectify themselves just by shutting the car off for a few minutes. But since it was 20 degrees outside and I was off the Interstate, and not knowing how long I was going to wait for help, I opted not to shut her down.....

I was told many European Automobiles have this feature, maybe MINI does as well....Good luck, & please let us know what dealer says if you go.