Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What the...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the...

i had to move my driver seat last night in a unrelated issue....i reclined the seat and when i tried to bring the seat back up it wouldnt move...the recline lever wont budge and the seat is stuck...any ideas?the seat release works and the seat slides forward and back but the seat locks back and will not work on the adjustment lever

Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a few good threads on NAM that address this problem. Most
require some physical "whacking" of the seat to get it to obey. Do a little
searching, and you'll find your answer.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
i tried the physical part and it didnt budge

Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seat on it and while rocking back pulled on the lever. you have to put pressure on it, so push hard... it should work, if not then you need a seatback frame.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
miniola
6th Gear
At the risk of sounding stupid, I think I did this same thing by accident a few weeks ago. After reading through forums about seat clunking and movement I tried to "fix" that problem with some adjustments. Well, I ended up with my seat in a fully reclined position that I couldn't lock back into place... it just stayed in a reclined position although the seat would slide back and forth.

When I would sit in the seat and try to adjust the recline setting with my hand on the right side lever (talking driver's seat here) it felt like there was no connection between the lever and the seat back. Nothing was happening. When pushing the lever closest to the door (like when you're going to put someone in the back seat) I could get the seat back to move forward toward the steering wheel (out of the recline) but then when I would push it back it would go right back to the fully reclined position. Is this like what's happening with you?

I just went out and tried it again to see if I could figure out what I did to fix it. After some grumbling again... I found that if I slid the seat all the way back (still in reclined position)... I put my knee in the seat (instead of sitting I was facing toward the reclined seat back)... used my left hand to push up on the lever that adjusts recline position and I used my right hand to pull up on the reclined seatback at the same time. There was a bit of resistance (and being concerned about breaking it, I was careful)... there was finally a little "click" and then I was able to move the reclined seat back and lock it into place.

I knew I was able to fix it before but I just wanted to check to see if I could do it again before posting. I think I had read somewhere that it has to do with the memory position. Not exactly sure if this is the same thing that you are fighting with but if not, maybe it will help someone else. At least an "A" for effort, right?

Good luck. Hope you have it fixed soon.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know if this will help with the reclined issue, but when my seat locked in the forward postion, I fixed it by pulling both left and right levers rearwards at the same time while tugging on the seat back until I felt celestial bodies in the heavens enter an auspicious alignment thereby facilitating release.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Both at the same time? Wow... that's impressive. What did you tug on the seat with?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chinny-chin-chin