Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

NEED ADVICE!!! My brand new MINI gets in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:14 PM
wwjd
|
1st Gear
NEED ADVICE!!! My brand new MINI gets in trouble

Problem Solved!! Service dpt. told me that the problem caused by the JCW spoiler, because a part of the spoiler was DAMAGE, then there's a gap inside the spoiler. (Sorry I didn't get which part that is, I didn't understand that vocab.) Anyway, they order another spoiler and bolted it on, the damn noise is gone. Thank you all you guys helping me. I'm appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone, here is my situation, I do really need your advice, I have no idea how to deal with it.

I got my brand new 09 jcw MINI cooper last Sat. morning. When I was driving home, I heard strange noise came from the roof, it sounds like kind of whistling. On Sunday, I drove it again and again, tried to figure out what that is... Finally, I found out whenever I drive over 35 miles, the noise started, I'm quite a bit sure it came from the roof, and because the wind as well.
I brought my MINI to the service today. They heard the noise as well, but they coundn't figure out what the issue is. They let me left my car there, then wait for couple days.

This never happened to me before, I don't know what to do now. That's a brand new car, I feel very disappointed now. I spent lots of time to decide the order, accessories, and waited for a long time, then finally it came here for just 2 days long and go back to service...

PLEASE give me any advice.... It would be very helpful for me...
Thank you very much for you all...

(My English isn't good, please let me know if you don't get it. )

Last edited by wwjd; 11-19-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:27 PM
minimike1
2nd Gear
Check the window.

Mistakes can be made anywhere, we all are human. The window may not have been installed correctly. The rubber molding could be damaged, the caulk not administered properly. Can you find out if the window was broken during shipping? The replacement windows are not always as good as the original windows and they often times leak. Good Luck! (If ever this was appropriate!)

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:34 PM
wwjd
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimike1
Mistakes can be made anywhere, we all are human. The window may not have been installed correctly. The rubber molding could be damaged, the caulk not administered properly. Can you find out if the window was broken during shipping? The replacement windows are not always as good as the original windows and they often times leak. Good Luck! (If ever this was appropriate!)
thanks a lot for your reply.
they took off the entire window then put it on again. the noise still there...

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Is it coming from the windshield or the sunroof? Both have been known to have wind noise.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:51 PM
wwjd
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Is it coming from the windshield or the sunroof? Both have been known to have wind noise.
I guess it is coming from the sunroof...
because when the sunroof is opening and over 50 miles, it's 20 times louder, the sound almost the same level as the wind. it sounds like whistling

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:43 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wwjd
I guess it is coming from the sunroof...
because when the sunroof is opening and over 50 miles, it's 20 times louder, the sound almost the same level as the wind. it sounds like whistling
In your signature you mention that you have the JCW spoiler. The JCW spoiler is known for whistling loudly if not sealed correctly. Can you have a passenger stick their head out the sunroof when driving at speed to see if they can asertain where the sound is coming from? I'm not sure how hard it would be to temporarily take the JCW spoiler off but ask if it is a possibility.

Old 11-17-2008 | 04:52 PM
wwjd
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lovethecorners
In your signature you mention that you have the JCW spoiler. The JCW spoiler is known for whistling loudly if not sealed correctly. Can you have a passenger stick their head out the sunroof when driving at speed to see if they can asertain where the sound is coming from? I'm not sure how hard it would be to temporarily take the JCW spoiler off but ask if it is a possibility.
Thank you for reply...
yeah, they did. My salesman told them took off the JCW spoiler and tested. They told me even without the JCW spoiler, it still make that noise.
BTW, the JCW spoiler just bolt on.

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:45 PM
Maroonarcher
Neutral
Wind noise from Sunroof

WWJD,

I had the exact same problem with my 09 MCS about a week ago. After a bit of investigation, I narrowed it down to the front left corner of the sunroof. Further investigation revealed a 1/8" separation between the rubber gasket that surrounds the sunroof and the metal roof that it is attached to with adhesive. I tested my theory by placing a 1" piece of scotch tape on the corner of the roof and the noise completely disappeared. I let the shop know about it and they supplied me with a loner MCS while the replaced the gasket. Now the car seems considerably quieter, so problem fixed.

Hope this helps. Take a really close look at that gasket.

Rick

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:54 PM
wwjd
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Maroonarcher
WWJD,

I had the exact same problem with my 09 MCS about a week ago. After a bit of investigation, I narrowed it down to the front left corner of the sunroof. Further investigation revealed a 1/8" separation between the rubber gasket that surrounds the sunroof and the metal roof that it is attached to with adhesive. I tested my theory by placing a 1" piece of scotch tape on the corner of the roof and the noise completely disappeared. I let the shop know about it and they supplied me with a loner MCS while the replaced the gasket. Now the car seems considerably quieter, so problem fixed.

Hope this helps. Take a really close look at that gasket.

Rick
Thanks a lot for the imput, Rick.
I'm gonna tell the service dpt. about this tomorrow.

Old 11-17-2008 | 08:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
They simply need to put some duct tape or other kind of tape all around the edges of the sunroof and then test drive it, that way they'll at least know it's the roof and not the windshield....

Old 11-18-2008 | 05:37 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Ive noticed there's a lot more wind noise above 60 mph with my 2009 than with my 2005....