Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical issue or just cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 AM
MBR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical issue or just cold weather?

(It was 22 degrees when I went out to check the car today)

Last night I noticed that my driver's side window did not drop when I opened and closed the door. However, my passenger side window did drop during opening and closing.

This morning I checked again and had the same results, except now I noticed that when I unlocked and locked the car from the key fob, the exterior lights did not flash. So, I locked and unlocked the car again and again and sometimes the lights would flash and other times they wouldn't.

Could cold weather have anything to do with this problem? I've had the car since 2006 and haven't had an issue like this except for the door window not dropping because it was frozen.

I've searched the forum and found that I may have a bad window motor, but my window works fine going up and down, except for when I open and close the door. I also held the window switch in the up position for a couple seconds to try to reset it, but I'm not sure if that really works or not.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Psychout
1st Gear
I'm actually having exactly the same issue right now. Have you taken your MINI in to be looked at yet? I'm waiting for an "emergency" service for mine - who know's how long they leave it sitting there before the service guys look at it.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MINI batteries are not the best. I would guess it was a battery issue with the cold.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes it is necessary to reinitialize the windows by holding the switch in the up or down position for a few seconds. This is not an old wise tale.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
The problem turned out to be cold weather.... But now my sunroof is rattling which is driving my crazy.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by frenchie
Sometimes it is necessary to reinitialize the windows by holding the switch in the up or down position for a few seconds. This is not an old wive's tale.
fixed.............

Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 AM
stuckMTB
1st Gear
Cold weather window issues.

[QUOTE=MBR;2562634Last night I noticed that my driver's side window did not drop when I opened and closed the door. However, my passenger side window did drop during opening and closing.

This morning I checked again and had the same results, except now I noticed that when I unlocked and locked the car from the key fob, the exterior lights did not flash. So, I locked and unlocked the car again and again and sometimes the lights would flash and other times they wouldn't.

I've searched the forum and found that I may have a bad window motor, but my window works fine going up and down, except for when I open and close the door.[/QUOTE]

I've been having the exact same problem lately, very annoying, especially when trying to exit the car, as the window never drops and it is very difficult to close the door without damaging it! Did anyone ever figure out why this is happening? It definitely only occurs to me when its at or below freezing outside, and I had the same problem last winter but it seems like it could be getting worse. I also noticed that my interior courtesy lights were not turning on when I had my driver's door open this morning, could these two be related? Perhaps the dome light and the window drop when the door is opened are on the same sensor?

I'd love to find out its some easy and cheap to fix issue, but I have a nagging suspicion that this is going to be an expensive gremlin...

Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM
stuckMTB
1st Gear
Have you guys had any luck with this issue? I can't get the 'holding the window switch up/down for 2-3 seconds' trick to work. Also, I've taken my car in to have the battery checked and it seems to be working fine. Never had any problems starting either. Problem only seems to happen in the extreme cold but it doesn't seem to be caused by ice freezing up on the seal as it happens whether or not there is any moisture there.

-Brian

Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Do a search for 'fonzie' or 'fonzie fix'

Also look here...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-fix-free.html