Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 04:55 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
All this kinda makes you wonder if Chevys are really that bad...
I spent hundreds and hundreds on my 1990 Chevy Luming: tie rods, alternators, batteries, brakes brakes brakes, ignition control module, cylinder head, ignition key cylinder, muffler. So far on my 2000 Chevy Silverado with 58,000 miles, I've had to replace the ABS wheel speed sensors, the water pump, battery and shocks. I was also told that I had a leaky steering shaft as well, but I didn't believe them so I haven't done anything about it. I had a 2003 Chevy Impala, new off the lot, with a vacuum problem.

So yes, Chevys really are that bad.

Old 11-27-2008 | 08:08 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
I spent hundreds and hundreds on my 1990 Chevy Luming: tie rods, alternators, batteries, brakes brakes brakes, ignition control module, cylinder head, ignition key cylinder, muffler. So far on my 2000 Chevy Silverado with 58,000 miles, I've had to replace the ABS wheel speed sensors, the water pump, battery and shocks. I was also told that I had a leaky steering shaft as well, but I didn't believe them so I haven't done anything about it. I had a 2003 Chevy Impala, new off the lot, with a vacuum problem.

On the same note my 13 year old Thunderbird had problems with the interior finishes from day one. Also, the brakes squeeled and had continuous problems every 4 to 6 months, after 9 year of having the dealers and others try to work on them, I did it myself and no more problems - that was about 3 years ago. It can make a big difference in your experience knowing the quality of the people that work on your car!!

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:59 AM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996

And here again, just to show that it is not always every model of vehicle, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, extended cab, 4x4 that has been through 8 Minnesota winters and has just a little over 90,000 miles. It has never been in the shop once for any repairs. I have done the scheduled maintenance to it when needed and I hate giving it up, but its going to a good home (my brother in law is buying it). The orginal battery from the factory lasted 6 years, which is pretty rare. This was the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I hope my Mini is this troublefree.

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:02 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flyinlow
And here again, just to show that it is not always every model of vehicle

I agree. I sold a '99 Yukon with 155K miles and the most I put on it was a fuel pump.

I also sold my '03 H2 complete with liftkit and supercharger and other than a freak oil pump (caught it just in time... no damage) Point is, 103K trouble free miles... loved it.

Again, there's the time I bought my wife a brand new '94 GT convertible mustang off the showroom floor. 9 months later I had to sell that piece of crap. It had been back to the dealer at least a dozen times from problems ranging from replacement transmissions, door interior trim panels falling off, etc, etc.

I guess you can get a piece of crap from any model. I am a firm believer that any manufacturer can produce a car with issues. I'm also a firm believer in giving them a chance to fix them.

Having said that, Mini has had ample oppurtunity and time (3 model years) to fix the same complaints that have plagued their customers.

Not fixing a problem that has been common in 3 years shows a complete disregard in my opinion for their customers.

Mark

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:17 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
So sell the MINI and cut your losses.

I think you are beyond soured on the car and the brand.

Old 11-30-2008 | 10:21 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
I think BMW needs to have better quality control at the plant and use materials that hold up.

It doesn't matter how great the design is if you don't use good materials to build it with. Overall I think mini is a good car, with some problems in areas of quality due to cost cutting.

I wondering if the same engineers that build BMWs work on mini? It's amazing how much engineering goes in to making a civic and a corolla with rock soild reliability than most luxury cars.

Old 11-30-2008 | 01:40 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SparklingMini
I think BMW needs to have better quality control at the plant and use materials that hold up.

It doesn't matter how great the design is if you don't use good materials to build it with. Overall I think mini is a good car, with some problems in areas of quality due to cost cutting.

I wondering if the same engineers that build BMWs work on mini? It's amazing how much engineering goes in to making a civic and a corolla with rock soild reliability than most luxury cars.
I agree.... I'm a little miffed at my problems but I still love my car. I just think for a $30K+ car, we shouldn't have to tolerate the same reoccuring problems.

I mean, seriously, obviously the sunroof has materials that are made with different rate of expansion coefficients. So instead of giving a lame across the board, pathetic excuse that all is needed is an alignment, FIX THE FREAKIN' thing.

I'm not sure if I'm more insulted that Mini would think that we're stupid enough to believe their garbage or the fact that they won't put forth the effort to find the problem.

No one is going to make me believe that an auto manufacturer as large as BMW can't fix a sunroof issue. It's apparently a matter of seeing if they **** off enough people.... until they do, they're not going to do crap about it.

They've had 3 model years to correct the problem.... enough is enough... I want the sunroof on my $31K dollar car to work correctly.

Is that enough to make me upset...yes. Is that enough to sell the car....no.

Obviously there are a few other things but anyone that sees a 16 page post complaining about sunroofs must have some company.

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:20 PM
sequence
6th Gear
bmw is probably giving priority to researching and fixing the vexing cold start rattle/cam chain tensioner/oil flow issue, realizing that if they dont do something soon it could sink the Prince engine.

Old 11-30-2008 | 07:15 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I agree.... I'm a little miffed at my problems but I still love my car. I just think for a $30K+ car, we shouldn't have to tolerate the same reoccuring problems.

I mean, seriously, obviously the sunroof has materials that are made with different rate of expansion coefficients. So instead of giving a lame across the board, pathetic excuse that all is needed is an alignment, FIX THE FREAKIN' thing.

I'm not sure if I'm more insulted that Mini would think that we're stupid enough to believe their garbage or the fact that they won't put forth the effort to find the problem.

No one is going to make me believe that an auto manufacturer as large as BMW can't fix a sunroof issue. It's apparently a matter of seeing if they **** off enough people.... until they do, they're not going to do crap about it.

They've had 3 model years to correct the problem.... enough is enough... I want the sunroof on my $31K dollar car to work correctly.

Is that enough to make me upset...yes. Is that enough to sell the car....no.

Obviously there are a few other things but anyone that sees a 16 page post complaining about sunroofs must have some company.
After that tirade, I'm surprised you haven't aleady dynomited your MINI!! My goodness such venom!!

Pat

Old 11-30-2008 | 08:49 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
After that tirade, I'm surprised you haven't aleady dynomited your MINI!! My goodness such venom!!

Pat
If Mini had simply said they were working on a cure for the problem, you would have NEVER heard a peep out of me. (in fact, if you read the sunroof issue post, I did say that they were working on a fix and that was fine by me... I didn't get pissed until they came up with their useless fix)

Part of the problem is, I don't like to be lied to or treated like an idiot. When I stopped at my dealership and mentioned the sunroof, I had the SA tell me "really, I've never heard of that complaint before".

It wouldn't have been so bad but walking out of the door was a friend of mine just leaving the dealership after getting his whole cassette replaced because his sunroof wouldn't open.

I just stood there with my mouth wide open not believing that I was being fed that complete and udder lie especially since his SA and my SA were the same person.

Mark

Old 11-30-2008 | 09:00 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
If Mini had simply said they were working on a cure for the problem, you would have NEVER heard a peep out of me. (in fact, if you read the sunroof issue post, I did say that they were working on a fix and that was fine by me... I didn't get pissed until they came up with their useless fix)

Part of the problem is, I don't like to be lied to or treated like an idiot. When I stopped at my dealership and mentioned the sunroof, I had the SA tell me "really, I've never heard of that complaint before".

It wouldn't have been so bad but walking out of the door was a friend of mine just leaving the dealership after getting his whole cassette replaced because his sunroof wouldn't open.

I just stood there with my mouth wide open not believing that I was being fed that complete and udder lie especially since his SA and my SA were the same person.

Mark
It's so true how the relationship with your dealer/service department can make or break the relationship with your car and how you feel about it. Imagine a dealer/service department that actually cared about fixing your problems- what a difference it would make rest assured knowing these issues are being taken care of instead of being brushed off.

Hopefully you can find a resolution through another dealership, or MINI USA is reading this thread, as they have with others who have called them out with legitimate gripes. And hopefully if you find a speedy satisfactory resolution to these issues you'll change your mind about the Mini Cooper as a car.

Old 11-30-2008 | 09:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've posted this before,

but this thread seems to beg for it....

The Service Escallation:

1) We can't reproduce the problem you described, so there's nothing to fix.

2) That's funny, your car is the first time we've ever heard of this.

3) The manufacturer is looking into it, we'll get back to you shortly...

4) Your aftermarket shift-**** caused the problem. You have to pay for the repair.

5) The parts aren't in stock... We'll call you when we get them in.

6) What? We fixed that during your last oil change...

7) Oh, the parts? They're on national back order... We'll call you when we get them....

8) We'd fix it, but you're out of warranty...

Matt

Old 11-30-2008 | 10:19 PM
diablito
5th Gear
^^^
I had random thoughts after reading the post.

I wonder which brands will handle problems better...just for fun this afternoon on my last day of the month in the middle of my assessment I ask my client couple why a MINI...and the moment he was going to say why, the Mrs tells me:

We have a Porsche Boxster and the engine went at 32,xxx miles it's a 02 but, Still. Low miles,...Porsche told us they can't fix it they have to send the engine to Germany @ a $20,000+ cost, the coolant had mixed with the water and enter the engine and kaput, done! you are on your own. >>They told me they went to a forum and learn it was a well document issue..by a few members of a forum. Ummm.

I have two MINIS and two BMWs. And I get to drive a 7 series once in a while...and I tell you my friends,... They all rattle when started... it's just BMW.

Panoramic Sunroof / Optional...I always find interesting when people order a MINI with everything on it and no sunroof, their response is usual. >>> We had a car with one and leak or got stuck and never open <<< Open Air Feel can only be created by cutting a hole in the roof and hope it will never leak after enduring sun rain and other elements...<sigh>

I do not think we had replaced millions of scoops under warranty or even hundreds or tens...maybe a couple at my dealership...problems are few, and usual seem like a lot of people have them when you belong to a forum. WE forum users are passionate about our cars, I browse about 10 forums between MTB, Ducati, MINI, turbos, Mustangs and is always the same in all of them with the problem.

Have fun you are driving something special....a MINI.

Bottom line. Orange I hope your MINI gives you more pleasure than displeasure.

Old 12-01-2008 | 05:28 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
There are 15-20 MINIs parked on the street within a one-mile radius of our home here in downtown Richmond (we walk our dogs twice daily). I estimate that more than half of the turbocharged models have deformed hood scoops. Out of three used turbo models on the dealer's lot last week, one had a deformed scoop.

I think if you're not replacing many, it's the owners who are not bringing them in for the replacement. The scoops are deforming.

Old 12-01-2008 | 05:31 AM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by diablito
^^^

Bottom line. Orange I hope your MINI gives you more pleasure than displeasure.
Diablito,

As usual, I appreciate and respect the responses from the wiser and more experienced mini owners.

I guess I was frustrated because within the first month or so, my hood scoop deformed bad.... I mean, really bad.

Being in the bodyshop business, I popped it out, reheated it to the correct shape and installed some protection under the hood.

It helped but deformed again.

I took it to my local mini dealer and of course received the usual response "really, never heard of anyone having that problem" (see #2 from Dr. Obnxs post...lol)

I drove almost 4 hours to go to a different mini dealer to have my Stage I kit installed. They are the ones that did the sunroof adjustment per the bulletin and when I mentioned the hood scoop, they said they would replace it.

I asked about paying the difference and getting the carbon fiber one instead.

My SA had no problem with it and after it was released from national backorder (see #7 from Dr. Obnxs post)

Two months later and I finally receive it in the mail. Of course, I had to paint it and replace the clear bra on that part of it at my cost and I had to pay the add'l 100 bucks for the part.

I was okay with all that but when less than a few weeks later, I happen to look across the hood and see the new scoop deformed....

Anyway, I'm done ranting, I still love my car and fortunately for me, the few things that give me displeasure are less than the amount of pleasure the car gives me but it's still frustrating to deal with defects that should have been fixed within 3 model years.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 12-01-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2008 | 06:16 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by diablito
^^^
I have two MINIS and two BMWs. And I get to drive a 7 series once in a while...and I tell you my friends,... They all rattle when started... it's just BMW.

Let us remain factual.

I have owned no less than eight BMWs over the years and none of them rattled. My son is on his second 530 both without rattles.

I am on my second R56 and while I like the positive attributes of the car I will be the first to tell you that these modern day Minis have many more problems than my 1964 and 1966 Cooper Ss despite their Lucas electrics.

I am lucky to have the assistance of an excellent general manager at the Mini dealership and I doubt that I would be still driving a Mini were it not for his good services.

To the OP, good luck going forward and have your SA check the PUMA #10686850 for the fix on the engine rattle.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:13 AM
diablito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
There are 15-20 MINIs parked on the street within a one-mile radius of our home here in downtown Richmond (we walk our dogs twice daily). I estimate that more than half of the turbocharged models have deformed hood scoops. Out of three used turbo models on the dealer's lot last week, one had a deformed scoop.

I think if you're not replacing many, it's the owners who are not bringing them in for the replacement. The scoops are deforming.
Uh huh, which means the melting hood scoop is important for some and other do not mind it...is relative, some go crazy with a little wind noise on the windows (my self). its all relative.

wow 15 to 20 MINIs in a 1 mile radius...you must live near a MINI dealer.

Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
Let us remain factual.

I have owned no less than eight BMWs over the years and none of them rattled. My son is on his second 530 both without rattles.

I am on my second R56 and while I like the positive attributes of the car I will be the first to tell you that these modern day Minis have many more problems than my 1964 and 1966 Cooper Ss despite their Lucas electrics.

I am lucky to have the assistance of an excellent general manager at the Mini dealership and I doubt that I would be still driving a Mini were it not for his good services.

To the OP, good luck going forward and have your SA check the PUMA #10686850 for the fix on the engine rattle.
well my 4 BMW vehicles have the rattle, is my fact, some can hear it some do not.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:21 AM
diablito
5th Gear

I was okay with all that but when less than a few weeks later, I happen to look across the hood and see the new scoop deformed....

Mark
Mark I hope your SA takes good care of you..2 melt downs one being carbon is NG.

I installed a 50mm pipe on my motorcycle and the lower elbow was barely touching the carbon, it made it yellow and discolor but didn't deform, and I think MINI carbon is made by carbonworld in Austria same company that makes Ducati carbon...and I think the process is cooked not layered. Your part should be warranty. right?

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:34 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
If these hoodscoops are melting, it's due to the heat from the turbo mounted right under it, right?

Seems like waiting for MINI/BMW to come up with a fix is a waste of time, maybe you should just fix it yourself? Maybe a SS sheetmetal shield of some kind? Opening up the holes in the scoop to let in air? Wrapping the turbo with header wrap?

If the problem is excessive heat, is your engine running too lean or something? Any shop with a dyno can check your A/F ratio........

Maybe be proactive instead of reactive?

Old 12-01-2008 | 09:53 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
4) Your aftermarket shift-**** caused the problem. You have to pay for the repair.
good 1

Old 12-01-2008 | 11:29 AM
matty125
5th Gear
error

Last edited by matty125; 12-01-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2008 | 11:34 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Man, am I pizzed. I've tolerated the quirks of a Mini for about as long as I'm going to.

I've tolerated the lifters clacking that sound like a diesel sometimes.

I've tolerated that my freakin' sunroof won't open unless it's cool outside.

I tolerated the fact that my $30K+ car melts hood scoops.

About a month ago, I asked my SA if I could replace the hood scoop with the JCW carbon fiber one and just pay the difference. I figure that it was going to cost them the price of a hood scoop, why not let me pay the difference.

So they did and so did I.... I painted the scoop and installed it and in less than 3 weeks, my new carbon fiber hood scoop is warped. Instead of warping in the middle, it now bows in two spots (both were the clips attach themselves)

I guess I'm going to have to go buy Way's turbo heat wrap. I don't see why I should be having to modify and pay for poor design.

I know Mini doesn't give a crap but I paid over $30K for a mini and I expect them to have issues but I expect them to resolve them.... your ability to take care of poor designs SUCKS....

Freakin' POS

Mark
If you think you car is crap, trade it in on a GM, Chrysler or Ford.
Every car manufacturer can suffer from mechanical issues or lemons. MINI is great, but to expect MINI, or any automobile company, to produce perfection 100% of the time is unrealistic, much like any of us turning water into wine.
I have embrassed my MINIs quirks much like a typical relationship, LIFE is not perfect.
My scoop was factory replaced, Since my ECU flash (FACTORY) I havent had my cold start clatter (coincidence????)) They fixed my windsheild squeal BMW/MINI has been great to me. They didnt even care when I brought a completely modified car into the shop. My car has put up with EXTREME PUNISHMENT both on Nürburgring, Hockenheim, and the Autobahn full out for 2 hours straight on every weekend for the total of 45,000 kilometers. This car is American Spec, And this car is durable, much like my Toyotas.

Old 12-01-2008 | 03:08 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Yes, diablito, we are about 6 miles from Crown MINI. I'm amazed at how many MINIs there are around Richmond. Seems like I spot a new one every few days...

Old 12-01-2008 | 03:59 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
If you think you car is crap, trade it in on a GM, Chrysler or Ford.
I have... my last three cars have been a Yukon (155K worryfree miles...replaced fuel pump), a supercharged C5 convertible, NEVER gave me an ounce of problems and my last vehicle was an '03 Hummer H2... .even with 8" of lift, gears and supercharger, I had one defect... the oil pump blew out. (luckily no damage)

Every car manufacturer can suffer from mechanical issues or lemons. MINI is great, but to expect MINI, or any automobile company, to produce perfection 100% of the time is unrealistic,
These aren't "mechanical issues"... these are a KNOWN DEFECT. A great number of R56 owners have experienced the sunroof problem. There is a HUGE difference between a manufacturer that makes a vehicle and every once in a while, they have an issue but with the amount of complaints with the cars that have sunroofs... not expecting Mini to be aggressive in the repair of this known defect.. NOW, THAT'S UNREALISTIC!!!!

I'm not expecting any car manufacturer to be perfect... having been in the automotive business for over 25 years, I fully know what to expect.

What I do expect though is a car manufacturer to repair an issue that is a KNOWN issue.

Cold start valvetrain rattles are a given. Sunroofs that don't open when it's hot... THEY KNOW THESE ARE PROBLEMS, they should be making a fix.

You make it sound like my sunroof didn't work one day and I was upset. The R56 has been out for THREE years, there are a TON of people who have had this problem, they need to fix it.

Mark

Old 12-02-2008 | 06:23 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I have... my last three cars have been a Yukon (155K worryfree miles...replaced fuel pump), a supercharged C5 convertible, NEVER gave me an ounce of problems and my last vehicle was an '03 Hummer H2... .even with 8" of lift, gears and supercharger, I had one defect... the oil pump blew out. (luckily no damage)

These aren't "mechanical issues"... these are a KNOWN DEFECT. A great number of R56 owners have experienced the sunroof problem. There is a HUGE difference between a manufacturer that makes a vehicle and every once in a while, they have an issue but with the amount of complaints with the cars that have sunroofs... not expecting Mini to be aggressive in the repair of this known defect.. NOW, THAT'S UNREALISTIC!!!!

I'm not expecting any car manufacturer to be perfect... having been in the automotive business for over 25 years, I fully know what to expect.

What I do expect though is a car manufacturer to repair an issue that is a KNOWN issue.

Cold start valvetrain rattles are a given. Sunroofs that don't open when it's hot... THEY KNOW THESE ARE PROBLEMS, they should be making a fix.

You make it sound like my sunroof didn't work one day and I was upset. The R56 has been out for THREE years, there are a TON of people who have had this problem, they need to fix it.

Mark
It took the federal government to force GM to issue a recall on their known defective wheel speed sensors that were causing my truck to lurch forward as I was coming to a stop. The dealer wanted $600 to fix the issue. I fixed it myself for $70. One year later, GM ended up issuing the recall and reimbursing me the $70 + a $90 diagnostic fee.

A sunroof that needs a little push to open on a hot day is not a major issue, and MINI will fix it for you without an act of congress.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap