Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:06 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
ClubmanS,

Can you not read or just choose to read things into what you read?

Where did I say I hate the car? I love my mini, I hate the fact that BMW/MINI refuses to fix things that should work.

I'm actually surprised on how many mini owners are brainwashed into accepting a $30K+ car that the sunroof only works correctly when it's 85 degrees or less.

It would be different if it were an isolated case but there's almost 20 pages of complaints on this. I'm not the only one... apparently, I must be one of the few that thinks it's ridiculous that we should have to accept it.

I took my Mini in to the dealer the first time the sunroof didn't work and when I talked to the service manager, I was given a look like I was crazy and was told that he had never heard of anyone having that problem.

The funny part, a friend of mine was just leaving from having his entire sunroof cassette replaced... yeah, never heard of this problem...riiight.

I do have issues with the melting hoodscoop and engine clattering but in either case, it is an aesthetic problem, not a misfunctioning problem like the sunroof.

Like I said, I hate the problem, I still love the car... just don't think I should have to tolerate this crap.

Mark
I agree with you Orangecrush. We shouldn't have to accept melting scoops, engine clatter & a faulty sunroof. Today the dealer replaced my melting scoop with another plastic scoop. How nice, looking forward to the next replacement. The dealer told me the engine clatter for the first few minutes was the torsion thingy and that I should let the engine warm up a few minutes. Took 10 minutes to warm up, was 26 out today, rattle did go away. They also fixed my ciggy lighter which came out when I unplugged my gps. Imagine a lighter socket coming out! When I asked how they fixed it, I was told they just spread the 2 wires further apart. Why didn't I think of that????

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:01 AM
accel
2nd Gear
orangecrush,

In Mini brochure in accessories section I see crome plated MCS hood scoop. I haven't seen this accessory, but if that's a real _metal_ plated acessory, not just chromed plastic - it might be a fix for the problem.

Also, did I get this correctly that you have stage 1 kit? May the kit be accounted for excessive heat (versus regular MCS) and this is why you have the issue reproduced?

I feel your pain on the sunroof. I was reading this forum before ordering the mini... and have ordered one in the most simple configuration I could (no sunroof, no auto ac, no packages etc.) - less options - I hope - less troubles. I should have opted for just a cooper, but had to go MCS route for other reasons. I ordered manual transmission though... I know it has more problems than AT... but I'm a manual guy and my wife drives manual... if the clutch fails I'll just replace with aftermarket one. And I decided not to sell our automatic Honda, again, after reading this forum.

I guess I'll try to cover the hood from the inside in the scoop area with some heat insulating stuff.

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:39 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by accel
orangecrush,

In Mini brochure in accessories section I see crome plated MCS hood scoop. I haven't seen this accessory, but if that's a real _metal_ plated acessory, not just chromed plastic - it might be a fix for the problem.

It's just chromed plastic, check out post #289 found on a dealers lot:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...elting-12.html

t

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:18 AM
MrBonus
2nd Gear
I'm not particularly happy with my car thus far. I've owned it for almost a month and had the fuel pump fail after a week and a half of ownership, now the Aux/iPhone input will no longer recognize my phone.

Old 01-22-2009 | 12:19 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
My car has had the leather seats replaced once, peeling again. The clutch has been replaced, the windows go up and down when they feel like it and the car doesn't idle when it's cold. All of this in 6 months of ownership. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh yeah, the glove box was defective at time of delivery too.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:04 PM
MrBonus
2nd Gear
Just had the turbo inlet pipe pop off. I've never had so many problems with a new car in my life.

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:23 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My MINI Clubman (Non-s) has a great engine, smooth transmission, well assembled body and interior and I would give it a 9.5 on the ten scale, these are good cars. There will be problems with some of them, no manufacturer is perfect; I would even guess Acura has bought a few cars back.

I am experiencing severe problems with my power windows, and have been to the dealership 6 times for the same problem which still has not been solved. Does this make the cars bad? No, It has a bad component and I expect MINI USA to make this right one way or another, but I still love the car, love the way it drives, and would absolutely buy another MINI in the future.

Forums like these are great to "air out" the problems, so that we can all find better solutions to fix them.

Old 01-23-2009 | 03:13 PM
GregO
4th Gear
problems

Originally Posted by TChezem
My MINI Clubman (Non-s) has a great engine, smooth transmission, well assembled body and interior and I would give it a 9.5 on the ten scale, these are good cars. There will be problems with some of them, no manufacturer is perfect; I would even guess Acura has bought a few cars back.

I am experiencing severe problems with my power windows, and have been to the dealership 6 times for the same problem which still has not been solved. Does this make the cars bad? No, It has a bad component and I expect MINI USA to make this right one way or another, but I still love the car, love the way it drives, and would absolutely buy another MINI in the future.

Forums like these are great to "air out" the problems, so that we can all find better solutions to fix them.
6 times!!!??? Every time I think of going away from MINI, I can't help but come back b/c I really do like my car. But, 6 times!!!??? for the same problem??? without a resolution??? I feel that's long enough.

Old 01-23-2009 | 04:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here in CA...

three times without a fix is justification for the lemon law.....

Matt

Old 01-25-2009 | 01:52 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
....I am experiencing severe problems with my power windows, and have been to the dealership 6 times for the same problem which still has not been solved. Does this make the cars bad? No, It has a bad component and I expect MINI USA to make this right one way or another, but I still love the car, love the way it drives, and would absolutely buy another MINI in the future.....
When you got your Mini the dealership is required by law to give you a Consumer Guide to the (fill in state) Lemon Law booklet.On the last page shows you how to file a defect notice along with a form to fill out and mail.Just make sure to follow the instruction completely.Several people here on NAM have filed a Lemon Law and offered a replacement vehicle from MINI USA.I was offered a trade assist for a replacement Mini.Make sure you have all of your repair orders with the dates and mileage listed.

Old 01-25-2009 | 03:29 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
When you got your Mini the dealership is required by law to give you a Consumer Guide to the (fill in state) Lemon Law booklet.On the last page shows you how to file a defect notice along with a form to fill out and mail.Just make sure to follow the instruction completely.Several people here on NAM have filed a Lemon Law and offered a replacement vehicle from MINI USA.I was offered a trade assist for a replacement Mini.Make sure you have all of your repair orders with the dates and mileage listed.
JCR1960,
If you don't mind me asking, what trouble did you have with the first one?

Old 01-25-2009 | 07:54 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by accel
orangecrush,

Also, did I get this correctly that you have stage 1 kit? May the kit be accounted for excessive heat (versus regular MCS) and this is why you have the issue reproduced?

I feel your pain on the sunroof. I was reading this forum before ordering the mini... and have ordered one in the most simple configuration I could (no sunroof, no auto ac, no packages etc.) - less options - I hope - less troubles. I should have opted for just a cooper, but had to go MCS route for other reasons. I ordered manual transmission though... I know it has more problems than AT... but I'm a manual guy and my wife drives manual... if the clutch fails I'll just replace with aftermarket one. And I decided not to sell our automatic Honda, again, after reading this forum.

I guess I'll try to cover the hood from the inside in the scoop area with some heat insulating stuff.
Sorry guys, the forum didn't inform me there were responses.

The melting scoop happened long before I installed the Stage I kit. I didn't own the car for a month and my scoop was melting.

Mark

Old 01-25-2009 | 08:48 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm not particularly happy with my car thus far. I've owned it for almost a month and had the fuel pump fail after a week and a half of ownership, now the Aux/iPhone input will no longer recognize my phone.
The USB port wasn't made for the iPhone. The literature says so. It will work but it's flaky. Sorry to hear about your fuel pump problems.

Old 01-26-2009 | 02:48 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I am awaiting to hear from MINI USA in regards to my Clubman window issues, as we speak. I believe there is a higher road to take in resolving this problem, versus using the lemon law, which is however a solid alternative. I believe that MINI USA is going to work with myself and the dealership to resolve this manufacturing defect. As I said, it gets 9+ on all aspects, except the electronics (specifically the window controls). Perhaps MINI got a bad batch of parts from their supplier? The window dipper and auto up problems seem to be limited to early '08 production, from all I see on the window dipper/auto up posts.

I love my car! I just am frustrated with the unresolved "enchanted" windows. I do agree with the posts though, enough is enough....the problem should have been resolved on the third visit to the dealership, at worst. ....more updates to come.

Old 01-26-2009 | 03:45 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I know it's early on in the game but thought I would post an update nevertheless. My wife's 09 PW/MCS Auto, 840 troublefree miles so far.

Pat

Old 01-26-2009 | 07:10 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by melman8r
JCR1960,
If you don't mind me asking, what trouble did you have with the first one?
Actually several problems but the one that I filed the Lemon Law on was because after 4 attempts they still couldn't fix the excessive heat in the driver footwell while driving even after wrapping the heater core which was a Service Bulletin.So they offered me a trade assist for a new 2009 MCSa and this one is great.

Old 01-27-2009 | 04:47 AM
GregO
4th Gear
I am awaiting to hear from MINI USA in regards to my Clubman window issues, as we speak. I believe there is a higher road to take in resolving this problem, versus using the lemon law, which is however a solid alternative. I believe that MINI USA is going to work with myself and the dealership to resolve this manufacturing defect. As I said, it gets 9+ on all aspects, except the electronics (specifically the window controls). Perhaps MINI got a bad batch of parts from their supplier? The window dipper and auto up problems seem to be limited to early '08 production, from all I see on the window dipper/auto up posts.

I love my car! I just am frustrated with the unresolved "enchanted" windows. I do agree with the posts though, enough is enough....the problem should have been resolved on the third visit to the dealership, at worst. ....more updates to come.
Sounds like your dealer and MINIUSA both missed the exit ramp for the "higher road" by not better addressing this before exceeding 6 tries. That's ridiculous. By try 4 or 5, both or either should have said, sorry, here are your options.
Greg

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:36 PM
gtobynj
Neutral
Only a week old and....

The lighter wasn't properly seated when I took delivery
There is a horrible squeak from the rear seats
The interior moldings rattle as if the bass was cranked too high on the stereo
The heated seats are way too hot, or not warm enough
The heater is way too hot, or not warm enough
Sounds like a diesel on starting
The auto up/down windows only do it when they feel like it.

Should've bought the bloomin' VW!

NOT HAPPY

shame my first post is not a happy one!

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:54 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gtobynj
The lighter wasn't properly seated when I took delivery Maybe you should have inspected the car more throughly before taking delivery. Either way sounds like a simple fix.
There is a horrible squeak from the rear seats We drove our for 5 miles before taking delviery. Either way sounds like an easy fix.
The interior moldings rattle as if the bass was cranked too high on the stereo
We have no rattles on anything. Again maybe a drive would have caught this before delivery. Sounds like an easy fix
The heated seats are way too hot, or not warm enough
Our seats heat just fine. I don't know that it is possible to make every human happy with the way the seats heat. Most only have 1 setting on or off. It's just to take the chill off.
The heater is way too hot, or not warm enough
My wife likes it warm so it has not been a problem. I don't think you can please all.
Sounds like a diesel on starting
So after it starts does it sound like a car?
The auto up/down windows only do it when they feel like it.
Maybe it's the timing. Windows can sometimes be a little touchy. Hold it longer shorter and see what works best.

Should've bought the bloomin' VW!
Go to the VW Forums they have problems as well.

NOT HAPPY I would be a little frustrated but I would also give the Dealer a chance to correct the issues before I got REALLY frustrated.

shame my first post is not a happy one!
There is no substitute for driving the vehicle before you take delivery. Most dealerships are not going to take your car for a spin before the give you the keys. At least our dealer here does not. They will when the car is delivered and I highly recommend it. I had the paperwork signed and the money almost in MINI's bank when I found an issue on my car that I was not willing to live with and asked for the deal to be unwound. They gladly unwound the deal and I reorderd.

But I also understand your frustration. It is a lot of money and it should be right. Sounds like most things can be easily remidied.

Good luck

Old 01-30-2009 | 01:58 PM
gtobynj
Neutral
Yep, just annoying!

This is my 3rd BMW product in a row (well, if you don't count my wifes Volvo) and I had no initial issues with the other 2 and I guess was to easy going at the delivery.

I just pushed the lighter socket into place properly is all, got a small glass cleaning cloth and wrapped it around the back seat lock bar and shut it again, squeak gone.

The windows I'll be having to take it in for tho.

On the up side, it handles like a go cart which is a lot of fun - my last car was a little heavy and felt ponderous in comparison and I get about double the mileage out of it!

Old 01-30-2009 | 03:27 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
A few simple fixes:
1. Ask for the seat heater to be fixed, they (MINI USA) do have a fix for that which will decrease the heat output. Personally, I just turn it to a lower setting...
2. The dealer will check for squeaks and rattles, and most dealers are well supplied with some great felt tape, and when applied right it takes the rattles and squeaks right out. A car that drives like go cart will have noises due to a tighter suspension---no road is perfectly smooth.
3. The lighters are loose on some cars, just pop it out, bend the prongs out a hair and put in back in--problem solved. hey, a good place to use that felt tape....
4. There are some widely known window issues, which MINI USA is rapidly working on to resolve at this point (see window dipper threads on this site for more...)
5. My '00 VW Beetle GLX was a Lemon (traded out of it after 14 months), MINIs may have some problems, but overall they are built much better than any VW you'll get out of Mexico.

Ask your dealer to fix these things, you'll find MINI USA and your dealer generally want to make sure their product is well taken care of, and they take pride in quality service. My car has had a few problems too, but thus far MINI USA and the dealer are doing their best to resolve any problems. Good luck!

By the way, MINI USA and my local dealer have stepped up to resolve the PW problems, and so far I feel they are doing all they can to remedy the problem---it's not cured yet, but their committment to fix it is A1, especially now that MINI is aware of the multitude of PW bounce and auto up issues....

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:30 AM
MrBonus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by russgriz
The USB port wasn't made for the iPhone. The literature says so. It will work but it's flaky. Sorry to hear about your fuel pump problems.
Fair enough. I haven't had the problem since and hopefully the car remains largely flawless from here on out. After having a host of issues within 1200 miles of ownership, I definitely made that post in anger and haste. It's still a brilliant car to drive.

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:53 AM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrBonus
It's still a brilliant car to drive.
Thus my reason for not selling my car. I'm PO'd that Mini hasn't made an effort to address certain issues but the car is a fantastic car... Mini just needs to step up to the plate and fix certain items.

Mark

Old 02-06-2009 | 06:11 AM
provofam
2nd Gear
Orangecrush,
I ended up trading my 07 MCS in after 20 months of ownership do to multiple problems.
1. rough idle on startup
2. condensation freezing in intake manifold which really makes the car run like a peach.
3. defective hood release
4. hood scoop issues
5. clutch pedal stuck to the floor (this happened twice - each time I was able to get it to come back after putting the car in neutral and reaching down and pulling it back out - the dealer has no idea of why that happens).

I really did love the car but needed reliable transportation. I hope for all the Mini lovers out there that they get all of these problems corrected but I had had enough. I did get $18.5K on my car and it had 37k miles on it.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Old 02-06-2009 | 07:37 AM
PatM
6th Gear
What did you replace your MINI with?

Quick Reply: I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap