Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:19 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jaxsngrl
Interesting. Makes perfect sense, but never thought of it before!! I guess this explains why my passenger side window keeps "fixing itself"......I just realized its fixed itself after I've rolled it down all the way!!!! I've already had it in for the re-initialization (which I knew wasn't going to work). Sure enough, its been dipping down like 3 inches. Today I rolled it down all the way and its back to normal!!!!

Just an FYI- my drivers door had its motor replaced and its been fine ever since.
*MINI Wave OB/W Sista!!*

Molly has been at the Dealership since Friday AM, she is getting her 1 Year 15,000 Mile Check Up.

Her Passenger Window is doing the 'No Window Dipper and Rolling Half Way Down', I discussed the issue with my SA, he simply said that a Re-initializing needs to be donw and that new software is available. I let him know that most people are having the motor replaced and that has fixed the problem. I made sure to let him know that we WILL be back. My Husband even thought we were going to go some rounds, the SA and I??!!

This was not the person I usually deal with and I will let them know on my Survey that I was not happy being shifted to someone other than my usual SA. My 'usual' SA knows how much Molly means to me and that any amount of $$ to fix what ever issues she is having is what I am willing to spend, even though this a Warranty Issue, I'm adament about getting her fixed the right way the first time!!

I'm having the British Flag Side Scuttles installed as well!! Down the Road I will have a Roof Rack installed, Chrome Line Exterior, New Tires, and Driving Lights, just can't afford ALL the goodies Molly Deserves just now!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-20-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2009 | 03:41 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
So do we know what the software update actually changes? If it automatically re-calibrates every time you open the window, so that in the future it should correct itself, it sounds like a good fix. I haven't done any regimen of opening them every day, but in normal use I often just hit the auto open and after getting enough fresh air I put them up to where I want them.

Old 04-20-2009 | 08:35 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellocooper
So do we know what the software update actually changes? If it automatically re-calibrates every time you open the window, so that in the future it should correct itself, it sounds like a good fix. I haven't done any regimen of opening them every day, but in normal use I often just hit the auto open and after getting enough fresh air I put them up to where I want them.
I don't know what the actual fix does, but I'll quote what my RO says,
"15646 verified that the pass window auto drop and anti trap features are inop. Pertains to SIM #51-01-08. Checked integration and found it was below the target level of R056-08-09-510. Performed complete vehicle programming and coding. ISTA/P Version 33.0.0.6, integration level R056-09-03-500. Performed initialization of the sunroof and front windows through the ISID. Tested both front windows, they're working normally."

Old 04-20-2009 | 08:47 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Actually have noticed mine doing this randomly for the past week...tonight I noticed a different engine start sound and looked at the window crack and pushed the up button and there it goes moving up just a little...I then noticed the passenger side was the same way....oh boy more things to add to the big list

Old 05-08-2009 | 04:43 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Glad (hmmm) to see I'm not the only one with the dipper problem. Went to dealer, got the reprogramming, fault returned within a month. Having it looked at again at my annual oil change. As someone earlier described it, my driver side is posessed.

Old 05-11-2009 | 07:43 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
It has been a week since the SW reflash. Every day I am opening and closing both windows. Per recommended by my Service advisor.

On friday the auto up stopped working on the passenger side. I did the hold down the window for 15 second trick and the auto up started working again.

I am liking this car less and less each day. Which is sad. due to cam chain tensioner issue...and the sunroof issue.

Unfort i am one of those people where every issue, rattle etc gets under my skin. If you are that type of person, i have to say that owning a MINI will be very frustrating to people.

Old 05-15-2009 | 07:58 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
supposed new fix? (as of 5/15/09)

Just dropped Waldo off at Bill Jacobs MINI in the Chicago area...SA claims they just got a new software fix today for this issue. Claims it will take 8 HOURS to upload it into their system before they can download it into cars. HOPEFULLY they get that done in time to download it into Waldo tomorrow, and an even BIGGER hope that it actually works!

I'll keep you posted!

Old 05-15-2009 | 08:23 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Window Dipper

Thanks guys!? I had no window problem until I read this thread. Sure as hell, 2 days later mine started going nuts (at +13K). At least I knew the cause when it happened. Anybody know how long it takes to re-program? As for the chain tensioner, I now have something else to be paranoid about on every cold start. OK, so far. A hearty Thanks for the info-Dwight

Old 05-16-2009 | 04:13 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TChezem
It looks like this problem is limited to the '08s from the posts I see....anyone with an '09 having the "window dipper failures?"
YES. Mine started doing it about two weeks ago. The up, down,15 second thing worked once for about two days. The passanger window will dip a small amount when you open the door and then nothing when you shut it. Auto up/down no longer works. Drivers side seems fine. Just 7K on her.

Jim

Old 05-16-2009 | 07:45 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blackjackmark
Just dropped Waldo off at Bill Jacobs MINI in the Chicago area...SA claims they just got a new software fix today for this issue. Claims it will take 8 HOURS to upload it into their system before they can download it into cars. HOPEFULLY they get that done in time to download it into Waldo tomorrow, and an even BIGGER hope that it actually works!

I'll keep you posted!
Well, had to leave Waldo behind. the new software evidently requires an "FRM module" replacement (or something like that?!?) in order for it to work and of course it was not in stock. I wonder if that's the same as the "footwell module" that others have mentioned?

But at least the dealer gives a loaner, so I'm tooling around town in a BMW 5-Series! But that means another 250 mile round-trip to pick Waldo back up...so I woulda gladly given up the BMW to have been able to bring him home!

Old 05-16-2009 | 08:02 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Mine was at Bill Jacobs for 2 days as well, but only because they didn't have the armrest in stock they told me they had. They gave me a nice 5-series as well, and though it was hella fast it sure did feel good to get back into the MINI. I don't think they did anything beyond programming on mine and it's been perfect ever since.

Old 05-17-2009 | 10:16 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
1 Month of Window Dipper Fix on Molly and so far NO Problems. I'm not holding my Breath however, I did have a glitch on the Driver Window not long after I picked up Molly, but it seems to have remedy itself!!

Old 05-17-2009 | 06:02 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mellocooper
Mine was at Bill Jacobs for 2 days as well, but only because they didn't have the armrest in stock they told me they had. They gave me a nice 5-series as well, and though it was hella fast it sure did feel good to get back into the MINI. I don't think they did anything beyond programming on mine and it's been perfect ever since.
How long ago were you there? My SA said that they had received new software update on 5/15/09, and it's that new software that required the replacement of some sort of module on my car?!? I hadn't read anyone else report that, so I wasn't sure if I was on the cutting edge of something new...or if the dealer was behind the curve?

Old 05-17-2009 | 06:14 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
LOVE your Blog Blackjack!! Also LOVE Waldo's "WRS WLDO" License Plate...TOO COOL!!

Old 05-17-2009 | 07:52 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
LOVE your Blog Blackjack!! Also LOVE Waldo's "WRS WLDO" License Plate...TOO COOL!!
Thanks! Wish I posted more often! Waldo does have his own Facebook page though that gets updated through my phone, so that makes it easier!

Old 05-18-2009 | 07:28 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blackjackmark
How long ago were you there? My SA said that they had received new software update on 5/15/09,
I can't quite remember, it was a little while ago, mid-april perhaps.

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:37 AM
mrdirosa
3rd Gear
Our 1/09 built Clubman S started acting a bit wierd yesterday. The passenger side window always dipped quite a bit more than the driver side, but last night the auto-up dipping didn't seem to work right.

Tried putting the window down and up, and it seemed to close but noticed the 1 touch up didn't work.

Will try the 15sec down and up reset...

Old 05-28-2009 | 01:35 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Window Zombie

Took my '08 MCS to the dealer last week for same problem on driver's side. There's apparently a programing error in the ECU. Takes ~1hr to load new program and seems to have killed the poltergeists (so far!). DW

Old 06-10-2009 | 07:49 AM
manris
1st Gear
SWMBO's MINI has been afflicted by this too... it's shame as the problem totally burned her. It opened on a rainy evening, and she knows she closed the windows as her MINI branded Nuvi navigation was recently stolen out of her glovebox she's been really careful about closing windows and locking up.

She took it to Knauz MNI in Lake Bluff, IL who did a reprogram but stated that the vehicle needed a new computer module whose stockpile in the US has been depleted and currently waiting to be replenished by the overseas supplier/manufactuer of said module.

She picked the car up last night and rolled down the window again this morning to pay for parking at her work lot and the dipper is dipping the window 1/2 way open and leaving it open.

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:49 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I have been doing an auto up and auto down cycle on my windows 2 to three times weekly, and that has kept the problem at bay since the last time the dealership had to re-intialize my windows on March 6th. I have had to have the window(s) re-intialized on at least 8 different occasions in the first year of ownership. Just glad my dealer is only 5 miles away from my home....makes the service calls easier.

I am still waiting on the "new program" that is supposed to be out by September '09 to permanentley fix the problem. Is this the program that some have spoke of being installed in May of this year? As you'll see in my prior posts I already received the new FRM/Footwell module in my car. My drivers window still forgets to dip on occasion, but seems to right itself after a few days.....My car has alzheimers?

Old 06-11-2009 | 10:01 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TChezem

I am still waiting on the "new program" that is supposed to be out by September '09 to permanentley fix the problem. Is this the program that some have spoke of being installed in May of this year? As you'll see in my prior posts I already received the new FRM/Footwell module in my car. My drivers window still forgets to dip on occasion, but seems to right itself after a few days.....My car has alzheimers?
FWIW the program that Bill Jacobs MINI got around May 15 was supposed to be a "new program"...according to my SA. He said it would take them about 8 hours to upoad it into their system and then they would be able to download it into cars. He said he had three others ahead of me waiting for the same fix.

So far mine is working (knock wood). Then again it's summer and the windows go down completely several times a day, so if that truly is a way to keep it at bay, then I can't know for certain that mine is fixed until winter!

Old 07-01-2009 | 12:35 PM
mrdirosa
3rd Gear
Well, yesterday the passenger side dipper just died - it will go down but won't go up...thank goodness it has been dry the last couple of days!

Service appointment made for 3 weeks out

Will get the sunroof looked at as well since it has been acting up lately too...

Old 07-11-2009 | 07:06 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
My driver's window auto up and dipper stopped working a few months ago. Since the dealer is about an hour away, I decided that I would just make a list of problems and get things taken care of when state inspection was due. Well, that happened on Tuesday. When I made the appointment, the SA told me that a part in the footwell needed to be replaced and the software would be updated.
I also had the tailpipe extensions replaced, a rattle in the rear fixed by replacing the latch on the trunk lid, and the timing chain tensioner was replaced due to the engine noise at start up. Everything seemed fine when I picked up "Sunny".
As far as the the window fix, the invoice states that the "tech initialized windows". The good news is the windows work fine. The bad news is that once it got dark out, the lights that illuminate the tach and speedometer are not working nor are the ambient lighting lights working. I have tried the adjustments as described in the manual but no luck!
I called the dealer and spoke to the SA this morning. He says I need to bring it back as something else seems to be going on. I looked in the manual regarding checking the fuses. The manual says there are two fuse boxes, one under the hood and another in the passenger side near the door. But Mini wants the dealer to replace fuses. I think I will check for blown fuse tomorrow. Would really like to avoid wasting a couple hours driving back and forth to dealer!

Old 07-15-2009 | 06:30 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
My driver's window auto up and dipper stopped working a few months ago. Since the dealer is about an hour away, I decided that I would just make a list of problems and get things taken care of when state inspection was due. Well, that happened on Tuesday. When I made the appointment, the SA told me that a part in the footwell needed to be replaced and the software would be updated.
I also had the tailpipe extensions replaced, a rattle in the rear fixed by replacing the latch on the trunk lid, and the timing chain tensioner was replaced due to the engine noise at start up. Everything seemed fine when I picked up "Sunny".
This sounds just like my story! I waited until my first service app't was due - almost exactly one year and 26000km (~16000miles). Same story re: a "footwell control module" or some such, and a software update to correct my "dippy" windows. I gave them a list of other (mostly minor) complaints to attend to at the same time.

They kept my car for three days! The SA told me they had a computer problem during the software download and the footwell gadget had to be ordered . Mildly annoying, but they gave me a rental car so I didn't really care.

My story has a happier ending, though. When my MINI was finally ready, all was well. Windows work as they're supposed to. The other items were attended to. No recurrence of the MINI "window bounce" so far - 3 weeks and counting. (Fingers crossed).

Dealership was great, by the way - very accommodating . Except for that keeping-my-car-for-three-days thing, that is . Oh well - s**t happens, no big deal in the end.

Old 07-15-2009 | 07:42 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Gregsmini call your Dealer and tell them to send a Flat Bed to come pick up your MINI, fix it then Flat Bed it back to you!! Seems to me the Dealer *ooopsed* and needs to rectify your lighting issue ASAP!!

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper