Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009 | 04:58 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimikebc
My fix did not include any parts replacement, but updating the code in the computer.. they indicated that there was a fix released in late October, so this along with a few other updates were done to my car..so far no window issues. If the last time you had the windows 'fixed' was in the spring, you should be able to get the new updates loaded for your car as well.
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I must confess that I don't have much confidence in any MINI "updates" and "fixes", based upon personal experience of multiple dealer visits for the same issues.

Old 12-28-2009 | 03:28 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Just traded my '08 justaClubman with 19k miles in on a nearly new '09 Clubman S with only 1,200 miles on it. The passenger window was not dropping properly on the '09, so I took it in for the re-programming which was done in November 2009 on my old justaClubman. The reprogramming seems to have fixed the dipper problems. Glad to see BMW/MINI USA is working on/perhaps even came up with a permanent fix for an annoying problem. The upload/new programming will wipe out your radio presets, key preferences, and trip odometer--you may want to write down your presets, key prefs, etc before you get your computer flashed with the new programming. I really hope this is the "final" fix for the window problem.

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:43 PM
spinned
4th Gear
The upload/new programming will wipe out your radio presets, key preferences, and trip odometer--
Same here. Got the upgraded software and the window seems to perform as it should but all of the presets were reset to factory defaults.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:08 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I must confess that I don't have much confidence in any MINI "updates" and "fixes", based upon personal experience of multiple dealer visits for the same issues.
Update - - - -

Well, mine ('08 JustaCooper) has been back to the dealer exactly once since I got it in June '08. Scheduled maintenance and a fix for the window dipper thing. They replaced a "footwell module" and re-programmed the computer, under warranty. Yes, I had to reset my radio presets, etc. but so what? Everything works as normal since then.

One (scheduled) dealer visit in 18+ months of ownership? Pretty good in my book. I've owned Toyotas, a couple of Lexuses, an Acura, a Honda - my MINI has been more reliable/cheaper to run than any of them.

I know, I'm tempting fate by saying it!!

Old 12-29-2009 | 06:21 AM
mbd1325
Neutral
We had posted to this thread on Sept. 9 that we had the window problem. Nothing I tried that had been suggested worked.

We waited until the new software version was available at the end of October, and our dealer came and got our car (very nice, since we are about 140 miles away) and reprogrammed the computer. That fixed it and it has continued to work fine since, the same as many others have reported.

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:23 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Our windows went wacky last winter in the normal way, I think from opening the doors when the windows were frozen. I'm happy to report whatever they did with the programming, they've stayed fixed despite being opened while iced over again the other day

And +1 about reliability. Our last Honda was a lemon compared to our MC.

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:52 AM
Lil Q
2nd Gear
Here is another Mini that has the dipper/not auto up issue. My wife gets the Mini most of the time so I drove it last weekend and sent her a text saying that the window isn't working properly. She texted back...oh yeah, it stopped working a couple weeks ago...
I took it in this morning (also figured I will get the hood scoop replaced since it is deforming a little) so we will see how the reprogram does.

Absolutely love the Mini, and this issue isn't enough to make us turn our backs on it.

Old 02-03-2010 | 03:20 PM
Lil Q
2nd Gear
Ours is now fixed-- ie working when I picked it up, haven't really tried them again yet. I was told that the Mini thought the window was reversed--meaning when I put the window down it thought it was up, and visa versa. I don't know that I agree with that since when I put it up the window would just stop short of the top (maybe an inch down) and would do the dip....if I put the window all the way up it would not dip anymore. (Driver's Side).
They said it will be a couple weeks for the hood scoop to come in and get painted.

Old 02-04-2010 | 05:42 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Update -- they just replaced the module itself on my '08 MC. Their first fix was to re-program. I'm going with 33EJB - it's the only problem to speak of other than a slight problem with the sunroof opening on hot, hot days... this is still the

BEST. CAR. EVER.

Old 02-08-2010 | 05:59 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I noticed this morning that my driver's side window wasn't dipping properly and it was staying about a 1/4" down. Just went out and did the "down and hold for 10 sec/up and hold for 10 sec" procedure and it worked like a champ! Car was running, in neutral with the parking brake on. Thanks for posting the info!

Old 02-10-2010 | 05:24 PM
Chunkstyle
Neutral
Thanks everybody! Had the dipper/ no up since this morning after a window froze. Holding down for 15 / up for 15 did the trick. I love a good self-fix.

Old 02-10-2010 | 08:27 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Molly had to be re-programmed Today because she didn't Auto Dip the Passenger Window, the fix according to my SO is..."PWIND Pass Window rolls back down after being rolled up; Auto adjust INOP. Set up Reprogramming as per SI M51 01 08." This is the 3rd Reprogramming and each time they tell me it's the "Latest" we shall see.

The Passenger Visor was replaced due to a piece breaking off when I opened the Vanity Mirror Panel.

A License Plate Bulb had burnt out, so that was replaced...All Under Warranty!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 05-05-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 08:51 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
...its baaaaaack.

Looks like i need to make a trip to MoP to get the window reprogrammed *again*.

Just wanted to vent.

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:06 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
Had the '09 Clubman drivers side window dipper problem reprogrammed a few weeks ago. So far, so good. Next week it's going back for a recall: something about replacing a piece of the Club door trim?

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:38 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Just wanted to report that I had the fix done in July of 09 and have had no problems with the repair so far. We did have an extremely mild winter compared to last year though and I'm not sure if the temps have anything to do with the window function or not.

So far, so good though.

Old 03-12-2010 | 04:02 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I just noticed my drivers side isn't dipping either... I noticed it doesn't make the same noise as the passenger door when I open it a couple months ago but today I watched it and it didn't go anywhere. Haven't really had a problem with it just doesn't go anywhere. The auto up and down windows still work though...

Old 03-12-2010 | 06:16 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I just had the window dipper fixed for the second time. Repair order says:

SIM 51 01 08 - perform short test fault codes E72C, E72B present

Lubricated right side A post connector. Programmed control unit. Initialized windows.

I don't know what any of that means, but the dealer was very familiar with the issue, I bet they see this problam all the time.

Old 03-12-2010 | 06:38 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
They do out here. Maybe they'll *permanently* fix it in the next Generation...

Still... BEST. CAR. EVER.

Old 04-18-2010 | 04:21 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Well I'm afraid our passenger's window has gone wrong again, after making it all winter with no trouble. Have about 42k on the clock now, anyone know if they will continue to fix this for free after the warranty is up since it's broken twice?

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:33 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
They had better Mellocooper!! How many times does this make for you and when was your last window initialization done??

Last edited by RJKimbell; 05-05-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2010 | 07:21 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Well both windows were fixed around march 2009 and now just the one has gone wrong. I noticed it right after I had a little very minor body work done. I wonder if the shop had the battery off and that somehow made it forget
the software update....

Old 04-18-2010 | 07:50 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
That's where it might hurt you, I'm guessing the Dealer could play the "12mo./12,000mi." Warranty Card, but it still doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-05-2010 | 04:49 PM
toogs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
When I had the same problem I would use the "fix" mentioned here on NAM; you roll the window all the way down holding the switch and hold the switch down for about 15 seconds after the window reaches the bottom, then roll the window up and hold the switch for another 15 seconds, repeat if you like. This always "reset" my window and after about the 3rd time it happened it was fixed for good.
How do these resets work? I hold it down for 20 seconds, but when I hold it up it still bounces back down to halfway.

Old 05-06-2010 | 03:12 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Pretty much convinced there is no real fix

Mine has been tweeked by the dealer 4 times. If I had to make a guess, in my case it appears the fix breakes when we have very cold weather and the windows are frozen in place. When the door opens and closes, the window is frozen in place and can't complete the dipping. From that point on, the dipping action is mis-calibrated.

I've become very adept at releasing the window switch at just the right time to have the window stop in place.

Old 05-06-2010 | 04:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by toogs
How do these resets work? I hold it down for 20 seconds, but when I hold it up it still bounces back down to halfway.
Follow this procedure exactly, if it does not work after that then you need to go to the dealer to have it re-programed.

Factory Initial reset procedure:
1. Close door
2. Hold window button down and continue to hold down for 15-20 seconds after window has stopped.
3. Release button.
4. Hold window button in the up position and continue to hold up for 15-20 seconds after window has stopped.
5. Open door and close door to test if position reset has worked.
6. If it did not work try the steps a second time.
7. If this did not work a second time re-program car.

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper