Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering noises when turning slowly

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
funsizd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering noises when turning slowly

I couldn't find this exactly in the search, so I apologize if you've seen this before...

In the last day or two, my 05 Cooper has been making a weird noise when I turn slowly, e.g., parking or pulling out of a driveway. It's a little hard to describe -- sort of a clunking that I can hear inside the cabin.

I had her in for a service at the dealer in July and they said the control arm bushings looked "worn" but on the service sheet, there was no indication that it was bad.

I had her in for new tires in July at Wheel Works and asked them to check it out. They said the bushings looked fine.

I had her at Wheel Works again in September for brakes and rotors. I asked them to check again and they said everything looked fine.

So, my question -- are there other possibilities for the noise? Is it possible for the bushings to completely wear out in a month and a half?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
sounds like ball joints. i'd take the dealer's opinion on bushing wear to a place like wheel works.

are you still under warranty?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
funsizd
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, it's out of warranty.

I talked to a co-worker who mods his cars and he said it might also be an axle U-joint?

Ugh. I just bought it used in May from a friend and since then, I've had to: get 2 new tires and alignment, replace both front wheel speed sensors and replace the front brakes and rotors. I know this stuff is maintenance, but why she didn't do this before selling it is beyond me.

I just hope this isn't an expensive one.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
healey67
4th Gear
something else would be to check the upper strut mounts under the hood. sometimes they go bad (normally passenger side first). They would be cracked and obvious if defective.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
funsizd:
you don't have "U" joints, so it's not that. While a definitive diagnosis of bushings is hard without pulling them out, I'd check other things first.
Is it a continuous noise, a quick short thunk, or some combination noise (whirr, whiz, clunk, for example)? If everything checks out "solid" in the front end, it could be the shock mounts but they tend to clunk once.
Do you have a limited slip diff in the car (would have been from the factory--it was an option on 05s)? The diff makes a grinding sound when turning slowly.

More info please.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Chase
4th Gear
I have the same popping and clunking noise when i turn my wheel sitting still. Wondering what it could be

Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
funsizd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
More info please.
Thanks Dr Phil.

On driving for a few more days, I've been able to better describe the sound as a short whizzing noise that only happens when the wheel is cranked to one side or the other. It doesn't happen when driving normally, and it's not as loud as I originally thought.

Embarrassingly, I don't know if I have LSD. I bought the car used from a girl who doesn't know much about cars. And I haven't had the VIN run through the dealer to get complete specs. It's totally possible that's what it is and I just never noticed before.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
gt489
1st Gear
the steering shaft inside the car. the older ones make noise and u have to replace it with the updated part.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by funsizd
Thanks Dr Phil.

On driving for a few more days, I've been able to better describe the sound as a short whizzing noise that only happens when the wheel is cranked to one side or the other. It doesn't happen when driving normally, and it's not as loud as I originally thought.

Embarrassingly, I don't know if I have LSD. I bought the car used from a girl who doesn't know much about cars. And I haven't had the VIN run through the dealer to get complete specs. It's totally possible that's what it is and I just never noticed before.
I have the EXACT same noise in my car. When you wrote "whizzing" noise I knew EXACTLY what you are talking about. I noticed it for the first time last month while turning the steering wheel back and forth while waiting for my food at a fast food joint. Doesnt sound too bad. I have been wondering myself what causes that.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hear it all the time, not just my MINI but my family's toyota camry.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Lexster05
3rd Gear
I had a clunking noise and you could hear it when I turned the wheels while the car was stationary. It got bad enough that the power steering fluid had to escape out the power steering resevoir.

I had my entire steering rack replaced and the problem was fixed.