Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Idle Vibration/Coolant Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:41 PM
geflackt
|
1st Gear
Idle Vibration/Coolant Leak...

Hi All!

Trying to work through some very frustrating issues. Been searching through this forum and others and have come up with some good suggestions, but need to put this out as a more complete picture.

A few months ago, I took our '05 MCS to a local dealer to solve an upper end tapping/diesel sound. Sounded like the rocker issue. On the 3rd try they FINALLY decided to change rockers(after replacing tensioner and a software upgrade). The very first time I mentioned it the tech even said it sounded like rockers, but they didn't replace them 'til the 3rd time I was there. At the same time(when getting the rockers actually replaced) I complained about a grinding/bearing noise from the front, so they replaced the supercharger. Soon after that I noticed a vibration through the cabin at idle. Took it back to the dealer(an hour and a half each way and not a nice drive, either), they said it must be from the rocker change and they'll reset the computer. Seemed to be OK for about 2 days, then came back. I took it in again, but this time I'm at 50,200 miles. They only seemed to plug the computer in and check things, no real diagnosis or fault codes, so they weren't going to look further. Picked the car up 2 days ago, but still vibrating at idle. Also, right at about 20 miles over 50k the airbag light came on, then stayed off after I restarted the car. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong - again, no fault codes so why look further.

This morning I go into the garage and there's coolant leaking across the floor. Nice! I put it up on my lift and notice that it's coming from the back of the engine. The coolant tank is fine, although low on coolant with a strange substance on the top of the coolant. I had the thermostat housing replaced about 2 years ago. My floor, specially coated concrete, has some dried blue spots so it must have been happening for a while.

While checking this out, I notice the area under my right/passenger engine mount is a real black mess. It's been that way for a while, but I only now put it together with the mount failures. Could this be the reason I'm feeling the engine more?? I also ran the car while up on the lift and could feel the vibration from underneath the car at idle.

What's frustrating is that I have taken this car back to this dealer several times to fix issues. Now it looks like I have to go back again. While they are VERY good about providing a loaner and getting me fit in, the drive is horrendous. I lose 3 hours each way. I have been through the common problems on this car, but now that I'm out of warranty it gets even worse. I'm very concerned about the longer term reliability.

So - do I push the current dealer?? Do I try yet another dealer?? Do I demand a different tech work on the car?? I took pics from under the car and of the motor mount possible leakage.

Thanks!
Jason.

Old 11-28-2008 | 04:31 PM
geflackt
|
1st Gear
Wrong Gen...

Posted in wrong gen.
Reposted in 1st gen forum.
Please delete this thread!
Sorry for the confusion!