Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Front fog light full of water.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008 | 05:19 PM
silkcut
|
3rd Gear
Front fog light full of water.

Hey folks. Looking for a little tech assist here.

I noticed today that the driver side front fog lamp is half full of water. I'd a kind like to get it out, or replace it before it causes a problem.
I wouldn't be able to get it to the dealer until the end of the week at earliest, so I need to take care of it before the water freezes inside of the assembly.

I found an exploded parts diagram for an aero kit install that sort of details them. I also searched the forum and two methods to change bulbs came up.
1. Remove the lower front section.
2. Get at it through them the wheel wells.

If anyone has replaced the OEM fog lights, I'd really appreciate any insight as to the best method to remove the assembly.
I have a garage full of tools, floor jacks, and stands, so getting everything apart is doable for me.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:06 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
doesnt really help you here for sure but i once had a '88 volvo that had its headlight filled with water...i just drilled a few tinyholes in the bottom and it drained the water out. course i dont think i could ever do this to my mini but hey...it is one way.

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:22 PM
silkcut
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clayvt
doesnt really help you here for sure but i once had a '88 volvo that had its headlight filled with water...i just drilled a few tinyholes in the bottom and it drained the water out. course i dont think i could ever do this to my mini but hey...it is one way.
That idea was one of my first thoughts. If all else fails though the car only has 2500 miles on it, so it's well inside it's warranty period. I'm pretty sure I can get it. May even do some photos of the process, if it's not too cold tomorrow.

Thanks
Mike

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:55 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Would expect Warranty would replace the unit, but if it has holes drilled in it, Dealer may not be able to return defective light to BMW.

If it's only half-full, should freeze without further damage anyway.

Old 11-29-2008 | 07:18 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Would expect Warranty would replace the unit, but if it has holes drilled in it, Dealer may not be able to return defective light to BMW.

If it's only half-full, should freeze without further damage anyway.
Ditto.Just have the dealership replace the fog light under warranty and don't tamper with it.

Old 11-29-2008 | 07:21 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Ditto.Just have the dealership replace the fog light under warranty and don't tamper with it.
I agree...don't tamper w/ it. Failures have to be documented (or at least they used to) and so let them see it as is. They'll replace it and make it good as new!!!

Old 02-12-2009 | 07:52 AM
Tess
4th Gear
I have a similar problem, my fog light lens has a hole in it probably caused by a rock, so it gets moisture in there and it causes the bulb to go out, I've had it replaced once. I want to replace the lens so this doesn't happen, but all I can find is the entire fog light assembly. Anyone know if I can just buy the lens somewhere?

And if so, is it something I couldn't do myself pretty easily?

Old 02-12-2009 | 08:03 AM
Paleo
3rd Gear
One of mine is cracked too. Dealer wanted $185 parts and labor to replace it! It is one assembly, can't get the lens alone. I did find oem replacement online for around $75. When it comes time to replace mine I'll do it myself if it takes all night...

Old 02-12-2009 | 09:41 PM
jhbjrpdx
1st Gear
I just got a goldfish and called it even.

Old 02-12-2009 | 10:12 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I wouldn't mess with it either. Just leave them off and if the freeze does more damage to the case it really does not matter.

My dealer replaced the RF foglamp on my wifes MCS today because of moisture in the case.

There was a touch in the left but they elected to not replace it yet. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse back the car goes.

Regards,

Pat

Old 02-17-2009 | 10:12 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
Super easy, just took one out myself. Jack up the car, Take off the wheels. There are inserts (which hold in the inner fender lining) that have what appears to be a phillips head notch in the face. You will see they are 2 pieces. Put a tiny screw driver in the little rectangular notch which seperates the 2 pieces. Just lightly lever up on the inner section, then use a phillips head screw driver to unscrew the center section. So to repeat, there is an outer ring and then an insert that makes the outer ring expand into the hold. You have about 5-6 of these inserts, There is a small phillips head screw at the very bottom under the front of the bumper and one other that I can't remember where it was but if seen quite easily. Once these plugs are removed along with the 2 screws you can move the inner liner away (you only need to remove the screws and plugs in the front section of the liner) you can get at the fog lamp, Three hex head screws hold it in. I bought one on ebay. Make sure you get the one with the white adjustment wheel for alignment (if US cars have this) as there are quite a few non BMW ones for sale on the bay both here and in the UK. The new ones don't come with a bulb. I would clean your bulb with alcohol to prevent hot spots before reinstalling (it is a push in affair)
email me with any questions. pmustang(at)gmail(dot)com

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:14 PM
OttoMatic
Neutral
Originally Posted by Paleo
One of mine is cracked too. Dealer wanted $185 parts and labor to replace it! It is one assembly, can't get the lens alone. I did find oem replacement online for around $75. When it comes time to replace mine I'll do it myself if it takes all night...
where did you find it online? and does anyone have like a good "how to" on how to replace. mine is cracked as well, gosh these things need to be more robust! (or i need to stop driving so fast! ) ill go with the former

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:21 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
I just replaced mine. Bought new ones from the dealer. I used Alta's how-to for the intercooler to find out how to remove the front bumper. From there it's only 3 torx bolts per fog light.