Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Return of the Cold Weather Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me on Sat. morning.

I stayed in downtown Cleveland on Friday (0F that night) and when the valet brought the car around he said it had the yellow engine light and wouldn't go over 10MPH. Since I had driven from Richmond and was heading to Detroit that day, needless to say this was scary (since there is no dealer in Cleveland)!

Thankfully, when I started up the car a few minutes later the engine icon only came on briefly and then cleared and the engine revved freely. I'm guessing the heat radiating off of the engine managed to melt any ice on the throttle body.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
manish
2nd Gear
Had the same problem this past friday and saturday. second time the cel went on in a month. the first time, they didnt really figure it out, reset the cel and said if it happens again they would like to keep the car longer. so it went off again this past weekend and i couldnt get the car above 35mph.

so i called this past saturday and dropping the car off on the 26th and getting a loaner. didnt even ask for one, the SA said we need the car for a few days so i have to give you a loaner, was pretty impressed that i didnt even have to ask. it really sucks when you have a crappy dealer. luckily for me, we have 3 where we live, so we have some options.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM
lenhart05
Neutral
Happened for the first time today. Had the car facing the cold wind, and sure enough, the self-correcting idle, low power, and CEL. After driving down the street with partial throttle, I stopped and shut the car off. Then restarted and the problem was gone. (CEL is still on because of the codes) Sounds like the trottle body problem with the computer. Once the trottle body was warm, the car could do it's calibration.

On a side note, as I was driving down the road with the problem, the trottle pedal travel was very touchy. It felt like a very narrow band near closed trottle that actually controlled the trottle, but anything past that did nothing. Back off on the trottle and the car accellerated. Seams to back up the trottle calibration theory.

Tad
08 MCS

Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Many in western NY experiencing the same issue (although this thread seems like two problems are described). For those with the CEL and half-power symptom, check the post from TOWNEMINI at the bottom of this page: http://miniclubofwny.activeboard.com...picID=24046221. Perhaps help is on the way!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Dumpnrun
1st Gear
That sure is a nice looking dog you have there, It allmost reminds me of a dog named Ted,lol. Hi how are ya. See ya CJ

Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
crump500
2nd Gear
I have the same issues, mine began at -17 F when starting my MINI, the start switch stayed engaged cranking for about 15 seconds while trying to start. Pushed the switch again then released it tried to start it self again. Then I get the check speed control icon. Came back 15 mins later and the car starts and get the CEL half power icon, warmed it up for 15 minutes still only had limited power. Left it at home and drove my old 2000 F150 with 240,000 miles for the past 5 days. Called Mini roadside assistance today and the dealer has it now.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Mine does the samething, the dealer had it for 2 days. Said it's a frozen throttle body? Replaced some filters and oil, hasn't been real cold to know if it will repeat itself.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
RickGungel
Neutral
I spoke to my dealer about my cold-weather problem. He said MINI is working the problem, and that it appears to be condensation icing up in the throttle plate. I remain skeptical of that explanation. Condensation in a sealed unit? If the throttle plate is indeed freezing, I suspect that the explanation has more to do with dissimilar coefficients of expansion in the throttle plate assembly. However, after running my car for an hour (at -12F), and getting plenty of heat from the dash, why did the throttle plate not get warm enough to "thaw"? Or, if the problem was due to icing, where did the ice go when the temperature was still 12 degrees below freezing, and the car began running OK again? Could it be that some computer input is fooling the computer into erroneously limiting throttle movement?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 AM
andcbii
1st Gear
i'm having similar problems at 20 F.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
drewthat
1st Gear
Well it seems like we're all having the same problem and all of our dealers are telling us the same frozen throttle response, and we're all hearing that mini is working on the fix, but no date is yet known on when it's ready. Now unless it's a great coincidence or conspiracy, chances are that's really what's happening and that they are really working on this.

I've had this happen to my car twice already this winter. And there have been cold days when this did not happen.

The first time it happened to me I panicked like everyone else and took the car in. The second time I simply let the engine run for about 5 minutes, yes it sounded like ****, but I ran it anwyay. After 5 minutes I turned it off and then a few seconds later started it again. This time, the engine half power light still came on, but the car would idle normally, the CEL was still on. I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes, the half engine light went away, and the car was responding properly to throttle pedal. I started driving and it drove fine. I still scheduled an appointment for a driver side window issue for the following week. As I was waiting a few days for the appointment (still driving the car just fine) the CEL turned off about 2 days after the cold start problem.

Generally I make sure I let the car warm up at least 5 minutes before I drive it (every single time during the cold season.

'08 MCS. 8300 miles, 91 octane from Holiday usually, some times 92 octane from BP.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Toshio
1st Gear
I expected this to happen a number of times this winter, but only twice - which I consider OK for an unsolved design issue. I think the issue is complex and depends on a number of different conditions. I think one of the reasons I have had less issues than last year is a relatively dry garage this year due to cold cold weather with little snow since December. So no moisture to migrate to the intake system (and none ingested through the air filter due to the low dew point and no snow) My longer commutes also help by boiling away condensation in the crankcase. Note that I have the "catchcan" fix that may also be helping with only moderate amounts of moisture.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Bigbear522
1st Gear
I had the same issue last year and I was told it was a frozen throttle valve. I happend to me again this year and I actually drove it to the dealer with the CEL on and the car at 1/4 power.

They know what the problem and it is a design issue. They had to order in a new throttle body assembly. It took about 3 weeks.

SO I though the problem was fixed.

I left my car out today it was about -20 and this time it would not even start. It crank once then is stalled out. Before I had the fix it would at least start but would give me the throttle problem. So now I can't even drive it into a underground parkade,

This is why I am here actually to see if anyone else is experiencing this...

I still have the hot sunroof problem and driver side window problem.

So wish the rest of you luck but mini does know about the problem.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
Frozen throttle body - there is a fix

I have had the new intake manifold installed for two weeks now - and it has been cold in WInnipeg. No problems at all - I think they have solved it.

Take a look at this thread - it has the full story on the fix, and some pics of the new intake and valve cover.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...available.html

Cheers