Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Windows rolling down on their own(???)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Kenbob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add another anecdote, the same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Austin had a record cold snap and the temps were in the 20's overnight. It was also freezing drizzle. I came out about 5:45 AM to load my car and head to Houston and both windows were half open. I realize that holding the remote unlock button will lower the windows but I've never accidentally done that before or since. I'm convinced it's related to the cold weather and possible the moisture. I'm going to have my service advisor look at it when I take the car in.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
stunnagunna
Neutral
Similar problems here in Michigan. About 6 weeks ago, came out to find my passenger window down partially. I thought I must have bumped the toggle. About 3 weeks later, came out to my parking lot to find the passenger window down completely and about 2 inches of snow in my passenger seat. As I approached the car, I could see the driver side window rolling down! I had the key in my hand and I wasn't touching a thing! I used my snow brush on the inside of my car (which made me incredibly sad) and vowed to call the dealer. Before I got the chance, my husband and I were getting in the car later, and as we opened the door, both windows went down all the way. The car is now sitting at the dealer while they try to fix her. Luckily, I have a loaner ("a MINI loaner for a MINI owner" as they put it!) which helps with the pain a little. Hopefully I will get a fix and some answers. I will let you know when I do.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An update: MINI had stopped replacing (and would not ship) the original door handle sensor with in-stock parts on the day that the dealer was attempting to order parts for two cars. A day later MINI already has a new part designed to fix the problem and it has been ordered and received by the dealer!! Wow, I have never seen a major corporation develop, manufacture, and ship a new part in just three days!!! My contention is that MINI knew about the problem and manufactured cars with no regard for the consumer. As much as I like the car, and really like the care that has been afforded by the dealership, MINI's total lack of regard is a serious problem. There are several steps that they could have taken to prevent this failure; the least of which was to simply disable the system by unplugging it!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
StealthTDI
1st Gear
WOW!

I'm reading about several serious issues that makes me second-guess buying a MINI. I can stand a car that's not as fast as I want (I have that now). I can ever tolerate lousy dealerships and do my own maintenance to keep them from goofing up my car (VWoA sucks!). But I cannot push myself to pay top dollar for a car with so many known issues such as windows that roll down while I'm away, hood scoops that warp, undiagnosed cold weather idling issues, and engine temps that are bound to create problems in the long run. And some of these issues have been discussed for quite some time!

Does MINI pay any attention to what's going on here? YIKES!

Scott

Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
stunnagunna
Neutral
Got my MINI back after 2 days at the dealership. They said they verified a software issue and reprogrammed the car. That should be it! However....

I took the car home and parked her outside just to see if the cold made it happen. No problems so far! So I moved her inside after a few hours. She sat all the next day and most of the following (with no issues). My husband and I went to pick up pizza that night, and when we went out into the garage. The windows were down about halfway. Then, as we opened the doors, they went down more. We got in the car and left. We then picked up the pizza and upon getting back in the car, the windows went all the way down. We rolled them up, they went back down. We rolled them up, they went back down (repeat this sentence about 4 more times to get the appropriate idea.) The sunroof proceeded to pop open and the door locks went haywire. Even though the doors were unlocked, the car kept trying to unlock them. You could hear them clicking over and over. When we got home, we turned the car off and down went the windows, and the sunroof opened again and the door locks went crazy.

Beyond frustrated! (For Scott: Despite my frustration at this crazy problem, I have to say that I read a lot of the posts you did before I bought my MINI this summer. I too was worried, but went ahead and did it anyway. And I am glad! I love my MINI even though she has some major attitude problems right now.)

Has anyone else had an actual permanent resolution to their problem yet?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stunnagunna
Has anyone else had an actual permanent resolution to their problem yet?
Its difficult to say if its permanant, but Shawn hasn't misbehaved since they reprogrammed his windows. Its looking like a permanent fix.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
StealthTDI
1st Gear
What do they do to "reprogram" them? The program I'D want is one that does this: 1) Roll the windows up or down when I put my finger on the little button; 2) Windows do nothing at any other time, even that cute little jog they do when opening closing the doors. NO AUTOMATIC ANYTHING! My current DD has manual windows. I went that route to save weight and potential headache. I NEVER imagined something like THIS could happen.

MINI: If you can't get "automatic" right, then DON'T DO IT!

I can deal with all of the other quirks mentioned above, including the mushrooming of strut towers which I forgot. But I cannot tolerate a quirk which subjects my car to theft, vandalism, or especially water damage! "Pissed" wouldn't even begin to describe my feelings if I drop over $30k on a JCW that develops this problem.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
My car was dried out, repaired, and returned to me on Dec. 31 . Total time at the dealership was eight days. The sensor in the driver side door handle was replaced with a redesigned part. So far, so good. I check on it about every two hours during the day, and the first and last thing in a day. The dealership used some type of deodorant/algecide that is just about gagging my wife . I was assured that the odor/scent would go away. I will return for new carpeting if it continues much longer. I will post any additional events.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by StealthTDI
WOW!

I'm reading about several serious issues that makes me second-guess buying a MINI. I can stand a car that's not as fast as I want (I have that now). I can ever tolerate lousy dealerships and do my own maintenance to keep them from goofing up my car (VWoA sucks!). But I cannot push myself to pay top dollar for a car with so many known issues such as windows that roll down while I'm away, hood scoops that warp, undiagnosed cold weather idling issues, and engine temps that are bound to create problems in the long run. And some of these issues have been discussed for quite some time!

Does MINI pay any attention to what's going on here? YIKES!

Scott
I'm with Scott on this one. I'm in the process of buying a MCS and have been following the scoop, cold start and temp threads but this one is a new one for me. And to have so many people say it's happened to them as well.

I drive a 10 year old miata now and I'm already tired of wet seats and such due to water coming in. Wasn't expecting to hear about that problem in the new Mini's.

t

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
stunnagunna
Neutral
Just got my car back after a week at the dealer. Luckily, the windows and door locks repeated their insanity while there (but we had it on video as well and brought that in to show our service adviser.) They replaced the "footwell module" which is supposedly the item that is the main control over the door locks and windows. After replacing it, they kept the car to wait and see what happened. They had no issues, so I brought the car home yesterday. Today, after leaving the car in the parking lot, returned to find it unlocked. Once in the car and driving, the car continued to unlock itself over and over for a few minutes. This repeated itself at the next stop. So, I suppose back to dealer Monday morning.

Do I even express gratitude about the windows staying up (I am knocking on wood right now) since it is well below freezing here? Or is this just the calm before another electrical storm...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
Last Saturday morning, upon my morning check of the windows, I found that the car was unlocked. The windows were still up. It had rained overnight. I checked the car before I went to bed, as always. It was locked and the alarm was set. Today, the windows rolled down and the doors unlocked while I was at lunch. Again, I always make sure that the alarm chirp sounds, the door button goes down, and that the LED is blinking before I leave the car. These incidents happened after the installation of the "modified" driver door handle parts. It was cloudy and cold, but luckily there was no rain and no wet interior. BTW, the key is always placed on the counter top or nightstand when I am at home. Since I can no longer trust it, the car is spending quality time at the dealership.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
what are these modified part you talk about.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
02 MCS
Neutral
that happens to me sometimes but only if i have they key in my pocket and squat down then the unlock button gets held down which then opens the windows and sunroof.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
stunnagunna
Neutral
Well, I have the window and door lock issue as well, and no door lock mods or any after market mods for that matter. I have only had the car since late October.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
The modified part is a sensor in the driver's door handle replacing one that was apparently getting wet and/or cold. The latest from the dealership and MINI technical is that the problem now is being caused by the "FRM" (sp?) module. It will be repaired tomorrow and the car will be kept until they are assured that it is repaired.

Last edited by SkyWriter; 01-13-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: changed FRB to FRM
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
crump500
2nd Gear
This is a known issue at least for the 07, mine acted up a year ago last summer, I thought I was crazy, the replaced a module in the drivers door and haven't had any problems for the past year.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
stunnagunna
Neutral
So far, the replaced footwell module seems to be doing the trick with the windows (knock on wood.) The driver's side door lock actuator was replaced today to remedy the continuation of the door lock problems. We will see what happens now!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
subscribing

Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
Window Issue Again

I went out of the house on Sunday morning to find the car unlocked. The key was dutifully placed on the nightstand on Friday evening when I got home from work. I did not drive the car on Saturday, and did not handle the key.

The dealership was informed. My car has become a PuMA case! I hope that that is a good thing. MINI/BMW seems very interested. This has actually happened four times, but I have only reported it to the dealer three times.

The dealership disabled (for test purposes only) the "windows down" option when the key fob 'unlock' button is pressed. If this works, I suppose that they will replace some part. If it doesn't . . .

The conditions are always the same; cold and rainy.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
redbaron
1st Gear
I have had my MC for 4 years and this just happened! The temporary fix (I figured out) was to keep the windows rolled up but DO NOT LOCK the doors with the fob when exiting the vehicle. I know it only solves half the problem but its better than leaving the windows completely rolled down. I called the dealer and they said it was a faulty door latch switch and would fix it under warranty. They did tell me to pull the window fuse as temp fix but that prevents you from rolling down the windows while driving.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Rus'L
Neutral
Originally Posted by redbaron
I have had my MC for 4 years and this just happened! The temporary fix (I figured out) was to keep the windows rolled up but DO NOT LOCK the doors with the fob when exiting the vehicle. I know it only solves half the problem but its better than leaving the windows completely rolled down. I called the dealer and they said it was a faulty door latch switch and would fix it under warranty. They did tell me to pull the window fuse as temp fix but that prevents you from rolling down the windows while driving.
Wouldn't you know it. As you posted this yesterday, this happened to me as well on my '08 Clubman. It was also wet and cold, but then it's been raining here in Rochester, NY for like 18,000 straight days.

I come out to the parking lot to see a plastic sheet taped to the side of my car and a lot attendant parked nearby. My driver's window was wide open, and I know it was closed when I went into work. I work in a very bad neighborhood, so I make sure it was locked. Plus, it was raining, so of course the window was closed when I drove to work.

Window wouldn't close till I was halfway home. Hasn't been operating properly since. When I got home and opened the door, the window opened two inches, and then of course never closed when I shut the door. Had to put the key in to close it, but then the process repeated itself. Finally had to exit out the passenger door in order to keep the window shut. Same when I got to work today.

Though, I think I should go out during lunch to make sure the window is still shut. Probably pulling the fuse will be the smart thing to do until I can get to the dealer which is over in Buffalo.

To think of the damage (rain, vandalism, theft) that could occur due to this problem. Unfreakingbelievable.

Last edited by Rus'L; 05-18-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had a software update done to my 2007 MCS. They mentioned one of the newest fixes in the code for was the windows coming down by themselves. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Rus'L
Neutral
Originally Posted by rockridge
I just had a software update done to my 2007 MCS. They mentioned one of the newest fixes in the code for was the windows coming down by themselves. Good luck!
The dealer said it could be one of two causes (sounds like the two most mentioned on this thread), and one of the fixes can take 4-5 hours to complete, so they want to keep the car for a day. Thus, they will provide me with a loaner since I live 60 miles from the dealership.

Curious to know how redbaron wounds up making out, since he will be going to the same dealer. Odd how two Western New Yorkers suffered the same problem on the same day...

Last edited by Rus'L; 05-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.