Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OEM pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
pinoyxpryde
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM pad wear

05' R53 37k miles

My car is a CPO and I opted for the extended maintenance program since it was available. 2 weeks after buying the car I had the pad wear light come on and visual inspection I deemed the front pads were the culprit. Take it to the dealer and they said it was the rear pads and replaced them under the maintenance program.

Here I am about a month later and I'm getting fairly substantial brake squeel at low speed, light braking but no light. I've popped the wheel off tonight and noticed the outer pad (without the sensor) is down to about 3mm. I check the inner pad and it stands at 5mm. I'm assuming these pads aren't suppose to wear unevenly considering the sensor is on the thicker pad.

I'm taking a 1600 mile round trip at the end of the month and would rather not have that outer pad give up on me and start chomping on the rotor before the sensor even goes off. Is it possible to argue getting the free maintenance done before the light is on?

Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I hate to see - no reply

You can ask for anything....what will u get?

Will a dealer replace the brakes b4 the sensor goes off???? Hmmmm
good luck on that one but if u can get them to measure the pads....???

I don't place much faith in the pre-paid maintenance as an owner since 02.....

Got a clubbie locally that could replace with decent pads (and rotors ?) b4 ur trip????

That's my recommend' unless u can DIY ....

Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The sensors are pretty conservative (e.g., you have quite a bit of pad left when the sensor goes off), just to handle things like asymetric wear. Are yours wearing unusually? Hard to say, but you're probably within normal bounds.

I'd say you're overthinking this, and unless your 1600 mile trip is going to have a lot of heavy braking, you should be fine. I'd go on your trip and take it in when the sensor goes off. If that results in a pad chewing you your rotors, then they should probably cover the new rotor regardless.

Separate issues: The squeal is probably because they didn't use the proper anti-squeal paste on the back ones or didn't get the anti-rattle clips in properly. If bad, I'd go in and complain but again, it can probably wait until after your trip.

- Mark

Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW, MINI replaces the rotors when they replace the pads, so other than noise/reduced braking capability, there's no additional 'cost'.
With 3mm you should be fine.