Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How-to for replacing the Clutch master/slave cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Turd Furgasun
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-to for replacing the Clutch master/slave cylinders?

Hey Folks,

Been reading the forums since I purchased my '02 MC a year ago. (50k miles)

Started off the day with the dreaded 'Chewbacca' noise coming from the clutch.... vibrating pedal, etc. But was able to drive.

Next time in the car, clutch pedal stuck to the floor, could not shift into any gears. Also burned up my clutch a bit while trying to make it back home.

I know the clutch is fine...at least it was before the above...no slipping of any sort, some squeal from the flywheel at times, but from what I've read this is normal for this gen.

It appears my clutch master/slave cylinder is shot.

Was just in the garage... Loud squealing when starting the car in neutral (appears some contact). If I start the car in gear with the pedal depressed, the car jumps forward. Therefore I am sure this is my problem, and no longer dreading the bill for a clutch/flywheel replacement.

As well there is no pedal pressure, fluid reservoir is no longer at max. It's too cold/late to crawl under the car until the morning to look for leaks, but seems obvious.

So... are there any how-to for replacing the cylinders on the Mini? In the past hour or searching, I have not seen one thread.I am inclined mechanically, but have never attempted this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Bad week I guess, just replaced the door lock actuator on Thursday)