Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Subframe dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
idickers
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Subframe dilemma

I dropped the subframe of our 2002 MCS today in preparation for changing the clutch. When I rolled the subframe out I discovered a broken rubber donut on the floor, about 3" in diameter. The second pic shows the donut on the subframe, although that's more for scale than geographic accuracy.

Anyone have any idea what this might go to in the engine compartment? It's either something that fell in the engine bay from a passing bird, or a vital component vital for full-function, national security, and world peace. I'd just like to find out where it goes...
Thanks,
Ian

Attached Thumbnails Subframe dilemma-dscn0019.jpg   Subframe dilemma-dscn0018.jpg  
Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
bba
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a broken coil spring section. Check the coils in the front struts for a missing last loop.
BB

Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Not a spring section; he already said that it is made of rubber.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:56 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Is there a part number on it?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG You were driving without that?.....................Just kidding.

Doesn't look like a mini part. I've had a many subframes out, but never seen an oring that size. It looks too big to be an oil filter oring. That's the biggest rubber ring in a MINI. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
ask chadtoolio

Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
opps, or Way.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 AM
idickers
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the replies. The odd thing is there is no part # on the rubber o-ring. For a part that large it's very un-BMW. I mean un-Mini
Ian

Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Could it have come from the jack or lift?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
This is what it takes to change clutch?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 PM
idickers
3rd Gear
I'm afraid so. First you have to drop the front subframe, then you can begin uncovering the transmission. Repeat after me, "I will not complain about changing the clutch in Rear Wheel Drive cars anymore". Repeat for several days...
Ian
Originally Posted by MiniKJ

Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
I don't know if I should admire your guts for taking this on in your garage or call you crazy. That is not my favorite job, and I have a lift, and do one every 2 weeks. But to do it on the floor, no thanks. Good Luck to you.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Usagee
1st Gear
Could it be a dustcover plate indicated within this diagram? (5, 7, or 8)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=31&fg=20

Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
I don't know if I should admire your guts for taking this on in your garage or call you crazy. That is not my favorite job, and I have a lift, and do one every 2 weeks. But to do it on the floor, no thanks. Good Luck to you.
I agree... I've done it in a garage... but I have a scissor lift which makes life a whole lot easier... kudos.

FWIW, I've had a number of MINI's in various stages of parts and pieces and I've never seen an o-ring like that either... it was probably bouncing a long the road and onto your subframe and you didn't see it. I've found all sorts of odd items when I drop Moss full-length skid plates we and most of our friends have... It's definitely not one of the dust covers in the previous post.

Ooo... is that a 2002 I see in the other garage bay?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 AM
idickers
3rd Gear
I think I finally identified the mystery rubber donut: it's a ring that runs around the circumference of the wheels on my AC Hydraulic jack. One wheel is missing the donut.

Good eye, that is indeed a 2002 in the other bay. The 2002 is an "M2", I put an S14 engine from an '89 M3 in about 10 years ago (http://web.mac.com/iandickerson/Ians..._Homepage.html). Great car, I'm putting in a cage so it's temporarily dis-assembled also. My wife has threatened me with a "one car on jack stands at a time" rule because the Mini and the '02 are up on jacks!
Ian

Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by idickers
Good eye, that is indeed a 2002 in the other bay. The 2002 is an "M2", I put an S14 engine from an '89 M3 in about 10 years ago (http://web.mac.com/iandickerson/Ians..._Homepage.html). Great car, I'm putting in a cage so it's temporarily dis-assembled also. My wife has threatened me with a "one car on jack stands at a time" rule because the Mini and the '02 are up on jacks!
Ian

Very nice! I'm jealous of your garage right now... usually, I do wrenching projects in my g/f's garage (2 bays, but extra wide and deep enough to hold 4 cars in a pinch), but my own garage look more like your old one... barely enough room to open the doors...

Oh... and you just have to tell her, "but honey... there's a BIG difference between "project on jack-stands" and "repair work on jack stands"... Besides... it's January... it's not like you're going to be driving the 2002 around Rochester right now anyway...

Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKJ
Yep. Not many people consider what's involved on replacing the clutch on a FWD car like the MINI. The tear down is considerable and this is a 9-10 hour job. The clutch and flywheel are wear/maintenance items.

Manual transmissions are fun, but be prepared to put up with this or spend the coin to have someone do the honors for you.

I agree with Way... You have to either be brave or crazy to do this at home.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
idickers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I agree with Way... You have to either be brave or crazy to do this at home.
Actually, it's been kind of fun. Kind like a giant jig saw puzzle. I enjoy working on my cars, and feel like I really understand how the Mini goes together now. I took my time and figured out each step. Plus, I noticed a bunch of stuff that needed replacing "while I was in there" that a shop might have passed by. However, we have a second car, so this has not left me stranded while I waited for parts (although I am in a bit of domestic hot water to get the Mini back in the driving rotation!).

The biggest drawback has been the weather here in Rochester. I can bundle up against the cold, but I don't feel I have the dexterity with mechanics' gloves, so my hands have taken a beating. The sacrifices we make for our cars...
Ian

Old 01-30-2009, 08:18 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Ian, while there, check the suspension bushings. I bet those need replacing too.

I got a set of Powerflex poly bushings installed and the car is incredible.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
idickers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Ian, while there, check the suspension bushings. I bet those need replacing too.

I got a set of Powerflex poly bushings installed and the car is incredible.
That's a very good point, glad to hear you like the Powerflex pieces. I did in fact install the powerflex bushings for the control arms, the sway bar and the steering rack. I also installed the Powerflex inserts for the motor mounts and tranny mount.

While I was working on the back side of the engine I noticed that the two hard water lines that run under the exhaust manifold and feed the oil cooler were starting to bubble with rust, and the 4 hoses (2 at each end of the assembly) that feed the hard line were hard and inflexible. This was probably due to heat-cycling since the assembly is so close to the exhaust manifold; I replaced them pro-actively as it was simple to do with the subframe out of the way.

My exhaust also had rusted holes through the resonator, so I installed an Ireland Engineering cat-back system.

The "mission creep" has slowed the project, and I can't wait to finish putting everything back together this weekend to see how it drives with all the new bits.
Ian

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Awesome. Looking forward to your post-repair report.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
IanF
6th Gear
One other bit of BTDT experience: You may have to bleed the clutch when you're done. This requires compressing the slave cylinder with a special tool and using a pressure bleeder at 14 psi. I say "may" because having dropped the tranny twice in a MINI, the first time there was no problem and I didn't have to bleed it... second time... PITA... try to avoid moving the slave from it's normal position, which might help prevent air from sneaking in.

Oddly enough, a good thread on the subject is the TSW Cooper 6 spd conversion thread... (search).

Good luck!