Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

auto adjusting headlight failure due to replaced BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto adjusting headlight failure due to replaced BCM?

I had to replace the BCM (body control module) which was the cause of my non functioning tailight. That was a nice $500 surprise. I get my car back and now a whole lot of things aren't working as they once were.

1. My automatic locks (using the key) no longer works. Tried to reinitialize them using the instructions found on NAM and didn't work. Going to replace the key battery next, and try it again. For now I just use the key manually.

2. My DRLs (day running lamps) are no longer on.

3. My xenon lamps would flicker non stop until I flash the high beams. I'm assuming that there isn't enough power heading to the HID headlights (especially since the DLRs aren't on) so I switched out the led license plate lights (aftermarket) with stock lights and this seemed to fix the lamps from flickering for now.

So are user activated options like DLRs controlled through the BCM? In other words, can I just go to the dealer and have them plug there computer in and and have them fiddle with these options to get them back to normal?

4. And now the most annoying part. My self adjusting xenon lamps are not fully self adjusting. Instead of rotating down about 60 degrees so they aim at the floor and back up again, they rotate only barely. They just shake in place and move just slightly back up about two degrees (the light from the xenons move down and up only about an inch or two when parked in front of my garage). They disconnected the battery when swapping the BCM so it for sure didn't short the light motors out. Is there any way to "reset" the lights? The motors are good because they were working perfectly until after the BCM swap.

I'm going back to the shop to complain, but god knows how long this will take to resolve this. And the quarter is starting next week and I have to drive all the way back to school down in Socal asap.

Any thoughts would be appreciated since I'm gonna be leaving town soon.

Last edited by Jephen19; 12-30-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your BC1 needs to be recoded, properly this time and all the car and key memory functions just need to be programmed. Normally you have to print them out of the old BC1 then manually reprogram them into the new one.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Just took the mini out for a drive and notice some other things not right with my mini.

5. None of the controls on center console work. Mainly just the heat/AC controls are not working (can't get the rear defrost, AC, and circulating fan buttons to work). Radio works fine. ASC/DSC, locks, and window controls work fine.

Took a look at the box that the new circuit board came in.
It is labeled "BASIC MODUL"
Dealer Order no: MIN6535

Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Thanks MiniGuru. I was freaking out there for a second. I thought that even more things were wrong with the mini than I originally thought. I'll head to the dealer in the morning. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Did the dealer do the work?

Did you have the rear fog light mod done?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
I bought the mini used from a BMW dealer in socal. And yes it did have the brake light mod already on the car when I bought it. I never noticed it was different from stock until not to long ago.

My car is out of warranty so that is why I took it to a private mechanic that my parent's referred me to. He's been working on their mercedes and lexus for years and never charges over one hour for repairs no matter how long it takes. I figured I could be getting a good deal. Granted I had no idea how serious the problem was and that it was related to the BC1.

So now I have an ill programed BC1 in my mini. Reprogramming is something BMW/MINI can only do.

They are charging me the regular service price on it which is by the hour. One place quoted me at $170 just to reprogram it. That just doesn't seem fair at all for some software.

It looks like I should have went straight through BMW for the repairs as it seems like it will be costing the same amount, minus the headache.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Problem solved. Took them two hours to reflash the module back to original state, no idea why it took so long. They charged me only for one.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Make sure you remove the brake light mod.