Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission not engaging 2005 MC at Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
MCUSA
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission not engaging 2005 MC at Start-up

I have an issue with my MC 2005 CVT transmission that appears to be unique in all the threads that I have read on the MC forums and am seeking advice because the dealership I am working with is telling me what I describe below is normal.

In the mornings when I get in my car to go to work and in the afternoon when I leave work and I start the engine then put the gear selector in Reverse and step on the gas, the car does not move. I have to step on the accelerator and revv the engine for a few seconds before the car slips into gear and the tires squeal as the transmission engages. This has happened in the summer and in the winter so it is not seasonal.

It is sporadic so when I have taken my car to the dealership they can not replicate the issue. I have also learned that if this happens when I start the car that if I place the gear selector back in Park and then revv the engine hard for a few seconds, then move the gear selector back to Reverse the transmission will engage. I know I have spoken mainly about Reverse, however this happens when I move the gear selector to Drive also.

The car is a 2005 Mini Cooper with slightly over 38,000 miles and has had routine maintenance on the car about two or three months ago, when I first brought this issue to the dealers attention and they told me then that the car diagnostics did not show any issue and that what I was experiencing was normal. Also the car is parked on a flat surface or in my drive way at 1 degree angle at the most.

So is this normal for the CVT transmission to be acting like this?

Thanks,

McUSA

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is not normal as you know.
I don't have any ideas on what is wrong other that the CVT failing.
You need to keep on the dealer to get this resolved while you are under warranty. Otherwise you could be looking a an expensive replacement of the CVT.
Only suggestion I have is to leave it at the dealer overnight so they can experience the problem.
Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with the poster above, perhaps leaving it overnight or even over a weekend so they can duplicate the problem would be worthwhile.

If it does fail, there are no repairs or parts available, you just have to replace the unit, and I've heard up to $9 grand to do it!

Check the fluid!

Let us know what happens or what you /they find out........

Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
My CVT takes a few seconds to "catch" when I shift from Park. It's been like that since new; never thought about it being a problem. I haven't tried immediately stepping on the gas after I shift from P, (probably wouldn't be good) I just wait on it. Have you tried giving it a little more time? Maybe that's what the dealer is doing?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
MCUSA
Neutral
Thanks for the advice, however I have tried that. There is a "normal" delay which I am not worried about. It is the prolonged delay longer than you normally anticipate that I am concerned about.

The dealership is going to perform the required maintenance checks on the transmission and make some adjustments to it. Then check it one more time in the morning. They have had it already for two days and have not been able to replicate my experience, of course when I went in there this morning to explain what is going on and see if it would occur the car worked like a charm.

I'll keep folks posted on what occurs. I am hoping the adjustments that they are going to make solve the problem. I like my Mini and would hate to have a lingering problem that would blemish the cars reputation with me and the people I know.

Thanks,

MCUSA

Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
At the least keep after the dealer so there is a record of the problem even if they don't fix anything. That way if your CVT does fail you can point to several attempts to get it addressed. This will likely help get the repair covered if you are out of warranty.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 AM
MCUSA
Neutral
Here is an update for you folks, this is what I wrote to the Dealership this morning.

It has been four days since getting my Mini Cooper back and I have to tell you that the car is running better than it has since I bought it. We aren’t completely out of the woods yet, as I want to go a full month or so before I am satisfied the sporadic issue does not pop up again. I will say that other symptoms of the transmission that I had not associated to the same thing have also been resolved. That issue is that in stop and go traffic the car would “stutter step”. That I associated to the normal operation of the car. I was not worried about that as the transmission not engaging after a cold start was my primary concern. However, that issue has been resolved and tested this morning in rush hour traffic. The Mini Cooper transmission has engaged correctly in the last 4 days after normal use of the vehicle. The approximate one second delay is there, now that I am cognizant of the description others have provided. To reiterate my original issue was not the same as the one second delay that the mechanic and others have described. The adjustments made to the transmission appear to have resolved the issues. I will keep you informed if the original situation returns.

I want to express my appreciation in your professionalism in handling the situation even though the issue was not able to be replicated at your location.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Glad the dealer was able to get the problem resolved.

Originally Posted by MCUSA
I want to express my appreciation in your professionalism in handling the situation even though the issue was not able to be replicated at your location.
That is what we are here for.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
wvphoto
3rd Gear
my o5 cvt was doing that too.. we were close to warrenty expire.. what they probably did to yours was clear the 'memory' on the computer. the trany tries to learn how you drive and shift accordingly.. however we have 3 drivers in the house.. and confused it

we sat in traffic one night.. in gear.. stopped.. the car 'slammed' into gear.. like it slipped and grabbed..
i thought i got hit in the rear.

we got a new cvt installed last month. our dealer Midwestern mini in coulumbus,oh was great.
i had the car in 3 times complaining about the cvt.. they said it was normal.
believe me.. get it fixed or replaced.. it only took 4 hours.
and warrenty paid.. you will be stuck when the warrenty is up..keep pushing them