Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2nd gen MINI reliability vs. other makes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009 | 11:58 AM
provofam
2nd Gear
No problem Mr Bueno, I just know that some other's have been accused of being Mini bashers or grudge holders, etc, etc, etc... I really do like the Mini's and hope that sometime in the future if the situation is right I may get one again. I was born in Scotland so it was really neat having a car built in the U.K. as my daily driver. Your right though, some of the things posted on the internet need to be taken with a grain of salt. It's also worth noting that when you've had problems with a vehicle it is easy to become biased against the brand completely. Some people go that route and some people don't. I have an 11 year old daughter who was very very sad when I traded in the coop. We both went to the MTTS this past summer in Chicago. My wife and my youngest daughter couldn't make so it was a great memory for my 11 year old and I. It was a great time and we met great people as well as seeing some awesome Mini's. I love the Mini community. Everyone I've met has a great attitude and enjoys having fun with the cars (this is a big reason why I still frequent this website). People considering buying a Mini should know that being in the Mini community enhances the pleasure of owning a very fun to drive vehicle. I have to believe that Mini Corporate is watching these websites and realizes the need to work out some of the recognized issues that have come up. I'm hoping that some of these issues get resolved as I would love to surprise my daughter with a MC when she gets old enough to drive a car (not a MCS though - too much car for a teenager - IMO)! Who knows, I may get her one and not want to let her drive it because I'll be having so much fun with it

Old 03-16-2009 | 04:59 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
zoltiz,

I'm sure you're aware that brake wear and clutch wear are not covered under warranty, because the driving style controls the wear. Only defective brakes and clutches are warranted.
Wrong...they are covered under your maintenance agreement. Even the clutches are covered for at least a one time good will just for wear. Brakes are fully covered though and have been since inception.

Old 03-25-2009 | 03:39 PM
sziehr
2nd Gear
So i come to this thread after reading about all the issues people are having. I have to say that not in defense of the mini but to put into persecutive all the issues i had with my last car a 2002 acura rsx-s.
In the years i owned it from 2002 - 2008. The car experienced a large number of major issues. The car needed as fallows:
New 2nd gear and transmission rebuild due to design flaw
new sun roof due to a hole in the gasget
new leather covering for the seat
new seat pan
ECU upgrade
2 new o2 sensors
and the car only raked up a total of 58k miles before it was totaled due to an accident where i was not at fault.
At the end of the day the car was great saved my life and drove well.
did not mean i did not have it in and out of service the first 3 years of ownership a lot.
if i added all those parts and labor up i figure my bill would be well over
4k in work
so to the people out there who are having mini issues i feel your pain.
I am new to the mini family not to the car world.
Did they get the rsx right after a few years,
yes
will they with the mini
time will tell

Old 03-26-2009 | 02:05 PM
djdnz
1st Gear
I'd just like to throw in the following image, from JDPower on Autoblog, just to get some actual numbers in this thread. Mini's are a niche brand, and have a limited production size so it stands to reason that they are slightly less polished than the big brands - even the parent company BMW.

Old 05-08-2009 | 04:59 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I have a 08 Mini Clubman with 12K and a 05 Honda Element with 48K. Experience to date:

Clubman: Mild sticking of club door - fixed.

Element: New rear brake pads @ 9K.
New rear brake pads and new rotors @ 22K
New rear brake pads, new rotos and new calipers @ 42K ($750)
New manual transmission @ 48K ($2900)
New front brake pads and rotors @ 48K

If Honda represents "Great Reliability", then my Mini is destined to be off the chart! Yesterday I spent the evening at the Mini dealer to pick out the Element's replacement. Never again Honda......

Old 05-08-2009 | 08:28 PM
sziehr
2nd Gear
Well I have the death rattle now and my dealer is being less than helpfull.

I agree with you on the honda luck.
Acura Rsx
with even more replacement parts than your element.
I feel for you former honda brother.
I how ever can not say mini is the answer.
I have yet to find a car or car company that is perfect they simply do not exist.
I can say however the treatment i received from acura when i had issues like transmission was far better. We are all savy people on this forum, and we share TSB with each other like we did on the acura forms. However with document in hand at mini means nothing to them. At least at acura if my vin fell in a range of known issue cars and i showed up with the TSB and stated the issue i got a loaner a sorry and a cup of tea. mini just gives me the run around and a stiff upper lip that nothing is wrong with there cars.

Old 05-09-2009 | 06:27 AM
NCLE
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sziehr
mini just gives me the run around and a stiff upper lip that nothing is wrong with there cars.
I could not have said it any better than that. It seems that every time I have a problem with the car they blame it on bad gas, outside influence, or something else that seems to be in their standard vocabulary. Dealers must get brownie points from Mini every time they are able deny work under warranty. I do not know if this a specific dealer thing since in Hawaii there is only one to choose from. I bought two Minis in 2008 and the thanks I get from Mini is headaches every time I bring the cars in for service.
The car is wonderful and I really enjoy the driving experience but the support after the sale leaves much to be desired.

Last edited by NCLE; 05-09-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2009 | 08:34 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
I am sorry to hear that so many have experienced poor "after purchase" experiences with their dealers. The MINI tends to sell itself and with limited franchises buyers are usually at the mercy of a single dealership (except in the largest of markets). It is too bad that service after the sale can not be a straightforward experience.

I consider myself lucky. Rasmussen MINI in Portland has GREAT for me. They come with my highest recommendations.

Old 05-09-2009 | 09:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2na
I am sorry to hear that so many have experienced poor "after purchase" experiences with their dealers. The MINI tends to sell itself and with limited franchises buyers are usually at the mercy of a single dealership (except in the largest of markets). It is too bad that service after the sale can not be a straightforward experience.

I consider myself lucky. Rasmussen MINI in Portland has GREAT for me. They come with my highest recommendations.
And mine as well...after a little over a year of ownership and many trips to the dealer for Warranty items, I am happy to be driving a MINI due to the great treatment received in the Service Department @ Rasmussen MINI.