Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Comfort access weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comfort access weirdness

Anyone else have this happen? Is it just me?

I use CA a lot for entering & exiting the car, and really like it... but occasionally the door has not unlocked without 3 or 4 pushes of the door handle CA button (I thought perhaps the fob didn't register on the internal sensor quickly enough), and twice now, the alarm has sounded as I walked away from the car after locking (yes, everything was closed & latched).

And about 10 days ago, as I exited the car and locked with the CA button, it unlocked itself about half a second later. I had done nothing... now the door button wouldn't get ANY response! So I locked with the fob button and all was well.

Haven't been able to replicate this last behavior, and the car has been out in colder weather before and since without this problem. I mentioned it to dealer when I was in for window dipper trouble, and they will take a closer look when I go back after the window motor comes in.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I've been able to hold it and release, only to have it lock a second later. Some days the range seems weird and I have to get particularly close, but I usually keep my keys in my pocket.

Somewhere out there, there's a Dilbert cartoon where Wally keeps his RFID elevator badge in his wallet and humps the air in front of the sensor to unlock the floor he needs. I bet there's people out there that wonder what I'm doing too...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
I hump the RFID reader pad daily in my office. I guess once the MINI comes in, I'll be doing it in the parking lot, too. Great.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
Nice image... now, where's my mental floss? I haven't had the pleasure of experience with RFID badges yet. My experience above was with fob in the same pocket as usual, just a strange sequence of events. Musta been the moon phase.

Originally Posted by zoltiz
I hump the RFID reader pad daily in my office. I guess once the MINI comes in, I'll be doing it in the parking lot, too. Great.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem before as well. I found out that it was my Cell Phone which was in the same pocket as the key fob was interfering with my CA. I hope this might help a little.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NY_R56
I had the same problem before as well. I found out that it was my Cell Phone which was in the same pocket as the key fob was interfering with my CA. I hope this might help a little.
What was the solution? Did you just move your cell to a different pocket? Turn it off?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, I moved my cell to a different pocket. For me every time that I couldn't get the CA to work correctly is when my cell is in the same pocket as the key fob. The cell is a iphone if that makes a difference.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had a similar problem with the CA not responding to the fob and found it was either the cell phone or another set of keys.

I keep the fob in my jacket pocket (it's cold here in New England) and many days i have a set of work keys (23 to be exact) and if fob was between my body and the cell or keys it would not work. As soon as i moved the cell or keys out of the way it works every time.

As for the unlocking only a second or two later, only had that happen once when the dog stepped on the fob laying on the rear floor ( i was testing to see if you could lock the fob in the car some how and it can be done, but then you can then unlock it very easily as well.)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have had a similar problem with the CA not responding to the fob and found it was either the cell phone or another set of keys.

I keep the fob in my jacket pocket (it's cold here in New England) and many days i have a set of work keys (23 to be exact) and if fob was between my body and the cell or keys it would not work. As soon as i moved the cell or keys out of the way it works every time.

As for the unlocking only a second or two later, only had that happen once when the dog stepped on the fob laying on the rear floor ( i was testing to see if you could lock the fob in the car some how and it can be done, but then you can then unlock it very easily as well.)
Comfort Access, and a set of 23 keys in your pocket!

Now, that's irony!

Last edited by miniclubman; 01-14-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
ChadC
Neutral
Nah, the more keys you have the more likely you won't want to pull them out of your pocket, or have them dangling off the dash. Makes sense to me.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NY_R56
yeah, I moved my cell to a different pocket. For me every time that I couldn't get the CA to work correctly is when my cell is in the same pocket as the key fob. The cell is a iphone if that makes a difference.
I work in an industry that makes test equipment for wafer and hard drive platter manufacturers. I also have an iPhone. During the install of one of the tools I work on I noticed huge noise spikes in the measurements. I found after much testing that it was my iPhone. The iPhone puts out huge amounts of RF. I also once in a while have to press my comfort access button on the door a couple times to get it to work. Phone is in a hoster on my belt but right above the pocket I keep my keys and fob in.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup I have experienced if it is in the same pocket as my iphone it works sometimes and others not. Mine works great as long as those 2 are not sharing the same pocket.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
iPhone 3G is in the "holster" on the belt 90% of the time and I always have to hold the CA button for about a second to get it to open, or have to release and hold again sometimes. Thought that's how it was meant to be operated :D

Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Mine is a first gen iPhone. Usually just a quick push of the CA button on the door handle works. Don't have to hold it at all to unlock (unless it just does nothing)