Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need to replace my windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
DevilMeTaz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace my windshield...

So my Mini has that horrible pitted windshield. I don't feel comfortable driving it in the sun it's so bad. I got Don's Mobile glass to come out to my work to replace it. They quoted me $237 and I asked if that included the black pillars, and the lady said yes. They showed up and said they just reuse the old ones. I can't recall where I read it, but it said that the pillars have to be replaced everytime the windshield is replaced. Don's mobile glass said that if I wanted to replace the pillars, I would have to provide them.

Multiple questions here . . .
1. Do I need to replace the pillars? (One has to be replaced regardless because it's cracked.)
2. Has anyone used Don's Mobile? Do they stand behind their work? It seems, reading the forums, that the pillars break very easy during installation.
3. Any suggestion on a film that I can have installed on the windshield to help stop the pitting?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I had mine replaced because of a crack and they had to replace one of the pillars during the replacement. Two days later, the other pillar flew off the car while driving at 70mph on the Interstate...The company had to replace that one. They may have not replaced the one correctly but hey, now they know and I have another crack after a large rock attacked it again.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine replaced, and they reused the pillars...65k miles later the pillars are still on there...

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
DevilMeTaz
2nd Gear
MLPearson, who did you use? And how much did you pay?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
fentos
3rd Gear
We just had ours replaced after getting a hit by road debris before Christmas. $0.00 deductible on our insurance (so not sure what the final cost was) and the install was done by Guardian Auto Glass. They were able to reuse our pillars with no problems. It's been 2 weeks now with interstate driving and they were still on there.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 PM
orbitup
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pillar mouldings break easily if you don't know how to take them off. I would think any competent glass guy would know how to get it done without breaking anything.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DevilMeTaz
MLPearson, who did you use? And how much did you pay?
I used Safelite...it ran around $280.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have infinite super micro pits also and also a chip the size of a nickel with no stress cracks. I believe MASS. insurance covers it and the chip was done by road debri. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit before the replacement.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For some reason, I got the impression from previous threads on this issue that it was the fasteners (Items #16 and/or #17 in the diagram below) that were vulnerable to breakage when the pillars are removed for windshield installation, and not the underlying moulding itself (#20).

I always thought I'd just be proactive -- order these fasteners and have them on hand ahead of time if/when I replace my windshield to keep the installers from having an excuse to try and re-use broken fasteners or substitute double-sided tape. Now I'm wondering what exactly are the vulnerable parts...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
It's my understanding that it's the clips/fasteners that fail when they are re-used. They're not intended to be. Replacing them, coupled with double-sided tape, should prevent the pillar covers from falling off.
I had my windshield replaced a year and a half ago due to pitting (no deductable in Mass!), and got lucky; even though they re-used the clips, I had no problem with loosing the covers until I was demonstrating the acceleration of my car during a test-drive. At 90 MPH, I heard a loud snap, and when we got back from the drive, sure enough, where there had been a hairline crack, I lost the bottom inch of cover.
He didn't buy the car....

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
DevilMeTaz
2nd Gear
So, it's the fasteners that are vulnerable! Okay, so I'll replace the cracked pillar, and watch like a hawk when they do the install. I guess I'll find out this weekend if they can withstand speed, I'm driving to LA, I assume I-5 will be a good testing ground.

I don't have to wait for the weather warm up, it's been 75 for the last three days!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 AM
hegira
3rd Gear
"I don't have to wait for the weather warm up, it's been 75 for the last three days!"

Jealousy rears its' ugly head.....
The temperature is in the low teens, heading for single digits.
Crap! C'mon Spring-time!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Gil-galad
I have little sympathy.

Low temp forecast here tomorrow morning is -22F (-45F wind chill).
Friday morning it's -30F (-48F wind chill). Thank the Maker for heated garages.

***Now, let's get back on topic --

1. Any MINI wizards out there who can explain the specific function of fasteners #16, #17, and #18?
2. Which one(s) are vulnerable to breakage during a windshield swap?
3. How many of each do you need per pillar?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM
NOTDULL
2nd Gear
I had my windshield replaced and I bought new fastners that weren't needed. Reused all the original parts without any problems.

Number 17 style for my '04 MCS

Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I know that in some cases when people have had non-dealer replacement, the installer has just used the same sealant used to install the windshield to glue the A-pillar covers back on. Granted, this isn't the standard method using the clips, but it probably works just as well (and actually probably better) than using or reusing the clips. Sometimes the clips just randomly break and the covers fly off for no reason...I bet the glue would keep that from happening, at any rate, and I can't really think of any "bad" reason for not having them do it that way.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Gil-galad
Bump. Still looking for specific answers. The parts diagram is a few posts down.

Originally Posted by Gil-galad

1. Any MINI wizards out there who can explain the specific function of fasteners #16, #17, and #18?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Gil-galad
bump x2

*listens to the chirping of a lone cricket*

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 AM
DevilMeTaz
2nd Gear

I'm no MINI wizard, but I'll take a shot at your questions.
1. The fasteners hold it to the body, I really don't think there is any other function.
2. I really don't think one fastener is more vulnerable then the others, it all depends on how the installer removes it and tries to reinstall it. These are cheap plastic fasteners, so they are just fragile by nature.
3. There are 3 fasteners per pillar. The new molding came with new ones on it (you don't have to order the fasteners as well as the molding.) I would not replace just the fasteners, you're just asking for problems. At $50 a pop for the entire pillar, it's cheaper then having to replace the windshield of the car behind you when your pillar pops off while driving.

Hope that helps Gil-galad.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
DevilMeTaz
2nd Gear
Izzi made it all the way to L.A. with no problems. Though I think there's a small air leak in the top seal.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
IowaWRX
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have little sympathy.

Low temp forecast here tomorrow morning is -22F (-45F wind chill).
Friday morning it's -30F (-48F wind chill). Thank the Maker for heated garages.

***Now, let's get back on topic --

Just had my windshield replaced this weekend and got to witness the work.

'18' screws into '16', which is mounted on the rear edge of the A pillar. There are 4 of these. They hold '4' in place on the back edge.

'17' is the clip that mounts in the backside of '4' (the shiny black outer A pillar cover) and attaches into the holes in the A pillar. I think there are 4 of these as well. They hold '4' in place as well, doing most of the work in keeping it in place.

'17' I think is the problem child. They are plastic clips. '16' and '18' do not appear to be issues.

See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html for some excellent pictures and write-up.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Gil-galad
Thanks much Greg!

Who did your replacement for you? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
IowaWRX
2nd Gear
Thanks much Greg!

Who did your replacement for you? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?
I had it done at one of the Safelite places in Kansas City. Since I live there now most of the time, it made sense to have it done there instead of in Des Moines.

The tech was very knowledgeable. He had done some MINIs before and knew how fragile the clips were. He was extremely diligent and careful in how he removed/re-attached the rubber/chrome trim across the bottom of the windshield, and the A-pillar trim.

I got to inspect it up close during the work. The clips across the bottom front edge (not shown or labelled on the chart) are quite flimsy -- I was rather shocked.

The windshield was actually made by Safelite. It has SGC imprinted on it instead of PPG or MINI. He said they have a factory that makes their glass.

It came with a new top gasket on it.

Overall, I'm happy with the work they did. I'm concerned about the A pillar covers -- they seem to have too much gap at the windshield and I'm concerned about them coming off at speed. We'll see how it goes.

An interesting point -- the online quote for having it done in Des Moines was $20 cheaper than the quote for Kansas City.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coast To Coast glass did mine last Monday. It was a clean install and the glass looks OEM. No leaks even after heavy rain. The problem I have is that the little rectangle that allows you to see the VIN seems to be lower than the number. You have to kind of duck to see it. And the top seal doesn't seT against the roof. I might call them back to see if this is normal.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:11 PM
IowaWRX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Coast To Coast glass did mine last Monday. It was a clean install and the glass looks OEM. No leaks even after heavy rain. The problem I have is that the little rectangle that allows you to see the VIN seems to be lower than the number. You have to kind of duck to see it. And the top seal doesn't seT against the roof. I might call them back to see if this is normal.
I'd say 'not normal'. Sounds like a faulty job -- the glass is too low. Personally, I'd make them do it over if it was my car.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Thread moved from Tires, Wheels and Brakes forum.

Quick Reply: Need to replace my windshield...