Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Headed to court: Me vs. BMW North America

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009 | 11:22 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I'd say it went very well for you! Not showing up is bad form, and will be reflected in the ruling. BMW could have informed the court of their intention to default. Instead they wasted the court's time and probably pissed off the judge.

Old 02-07-2009 | 04:05 PM
glangford
6th Gear
For you not showing up is the best thing that could have happened. You win by default. Sort of like a forfeit. I'm surprised they didn't show up and at least settle out of court before the hearing and give you what you wanted. That way they would have a least not ticked off the Judge. Seems kind of dumb to lose and tick him off.

Old 02-07-2009 | 09:29 PM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
For you not showing up is the best thing that could have happened. You win by default. Sort of like a forfeit. I'm surprised they didn't show up and at least settle out of court before the hearing and give you what you wanted. That way they would have a least not ticked off the Judge. Seems kind of dumb to lose and tick him off.
Not nessesarily. If BMW can come up with a good excuse for missing the court date, they can file for a motion to set the judgment aside and start over. Of course they've have to come up with a good reason for not showing up in the first place.

Old 02-08-2009 | 07:17 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
I had R53 MCS 2002 that was a lemon in Canada. Once it started to produce issues that BMW could not resolve they took the car immediately and I got to choose a replacement (BMW X3 3.0). This happened even though the lemon law claim has not been introduced to Canada

Old 02-08-2009 | 08:37 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yubman
Not nessesarily. If BMW can come up with a good excuse for missing the court date, they can file for a motion to set the judgment aside and start over. Of course they've have to come up with a good reason for not showing up in the first place.
If they were to attempt to prolong the process, I have three words of advice:

Get an attorney.

Old 02-09-2009 | 12:55 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I guess it is cheaper for them not to show up, reimburse you the cost of the car, + expenses + court costs and to openly admit to a defect in the car and open up an even bigger can of worms.

Originally Posted by SparklingMini
The judge started the hearing 30 minutes late to give BMW time to show up. They never showed so the Judge went ahead with the hearing. I still had to present my case since the burden of proof was still on me.

We thoroughly went through every service record, written correspondence, and evidence for and hour and a half. I think I stated my case well.

It didn't look good either that BMW didn't even send a fax, phone call or email to acknowledge the hearing. I was told since they didn't show, they defaulted and cannot enter in any motions against the information that was covered during the hearing--case closed!

I think I successfully proved that there is a defect in the suspenion system and requested my vehicle be repurchased and my expenses be reimbursed.

I'll hear back within 60 days on how the judge decided to rule, then the ruling will be sent to the state transporation department to process the final decision.

Old 02-11-2009 | 02:53 PM
sequence
6th Gear
OP

or else U presented a solid case, and the judge liked ya! good job!

(im beg to wonder if a possible class action suit on the persistent cold start issue will end up taking BMW's time in court, so yrs was a buyout by default, get this out of the way b4 the big $q1t hits the fan?)

Old 02-11-2009 | 04:41 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I gotta ask...You are in Dallas as per the location stated.

Do you know about MetroplexMINI.org? I know you should not have too, but the club is friendly with both dealerships, with techs, MA's and SA's as club members and regulars on the MM.org forums. It's quite possible the club could have helped in this matter before it reached this point.

Did you go to both dealers in the area?

Besides the dealers there are some very good independent shops in the area as well. Did you have this verified by any of them?

There is power in numbers, the message here is to seek out your local clubs and be at least mildly active, amazing all the help one can get.

Old 02-13-2009 | 03:36 PM
SparklingMini
|
2nd Gear
I've been to both dealerships in Dallas. I bought my mini from Moritz Mini. I like the service advisors and sales people better at Mortiz and you don't have to wait weeks to get in for maintenance.

I don't know what it is about Dallas (hint: Dallas is very pretentious no matter where you go , but the pretentious level shoots way up compared to the suburbs like Arlington where Moritz is located.

When I went in for service with Mini of Dallas, They were 40 cars deep in the service department. I was told I could leave my car but it might be a week before anyone even looked at it. In addition, during my efforts to fix the issue with my mini, I was ignored by 2 service advisors when it came to returning my calls.

Last edited by SparklingMini; 02-13-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2009 | 08:10 PM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
They aren't responding because you cannot seriously think this qualifies the car as a lemon. lol Your Mini has a gangster lean? Hahahaha wow..

Old 02-22-2009 | 01:51 PM
Burn Rubber
1st Gear
now the stimulus package is next ...

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:18 PM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
How does the ending turn out?

I've been to both dealerships in Dallas. I bought my mini from Moritz Mini. I like the service advisors and sales people better at Mortiz and you don't have to wait weeks to get in for maintenance.

I don't know what it is about Dallas (hint: Dallas is very pretentious no matter where you go , but the pretentious level shoots way up compared to the suburbs like Arlington where Moritz is located.

When I went in for service with Mini of Dallas, They were 40 cars deep in the service department. I was told I could leave my car but it might be a week before anyone even looked at it. In addition, during my efforts to fix the issue with my mini, I was ignored by 2 service advisors when it came to returning my calls.
Any word on the judgement?

Old 04-15-2009 | 09:17 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Good luck SparkingMini, I know you've been fighting with this issue for a while...

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:30 AM
SparklingMini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bmwg84
They aren't responding because you cannot seriously think this qualifies the car as a lemon. lol Your Mini has a gangster lean? Hahahaha wow..
I WON my case in court. I received the judges decision in the mail April 7th. The judgment is for the plaintiff. BMW will repurchase my vehicle. I'll also be reimbursed for all the expenses incurred in trying to fix the problem, plus the equity I have in the vehicle.

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:37 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
You said it!!!

Old 04-16-2009 | 08:28 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
I WON my case in court. I received the judges decision in the mail April 7th. The judgment is for the plaintiff. BMW will repurchase my vehicle. I'll also be reimbursed for all the expenses incurred in trying to fix the problem, plus the equity I have in the vehicle.
Congrats on the win. Will you be taking the plunge again on a new 09?

Old 04-16-2009 | 09:56 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Very interesting. Glad you won against the tempting beast

Old 04-17-2009 | 02:46 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Congrats; now wish me luck.
Unfortunately they've responded to my queries.... ....negatively and in a way that affects ALL MINI OWNERS WHO MOD THEIR CARS...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-to-vent.html

Old 04-17-2009 | 10:40 AM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
Great News

Originally Posted by Arnbut
Congrats; now wish me luck.
Unfortunately they've responded to my queries.... ....negatively and in a way that affects ALL MINI OWNERS WHO MOD THEIR CARS...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-to-vent.html
I am about to start the process as well. My vehicle has been out of service a total of 20+ days in less than two year...and had to go back in this am for the same problem plus a new one.

I told the dealership I no longer have any confidence in the reliability of this car and informed them I was going to file a Lemon Claim if we couldn't work something out...they are offering to take the car in trade.

My response to that was after reading the forums, I would be going back to a BMW (a real one). They were open to that since they also have the BMW dealership. I hope to have this resolved in the next week.

At least Mini provided a loaner car...an 09 MCSa...and I think that car solidified my decision to go back to a regular BMW product (previous BMW's were 99% problem free for us).

Old 04-17-2009 | 10:55 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sbutler20
...they are offering to take the car in trade.
Global MINI/BMW in Atlanta, where I've purchased 3 MINI Cooper S's, offered me a whopping $16,000 in trade; that's one of the insulting reasons I've escalated.

Old 04-17-2009 | 11:45 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Global MINI/BMW in Atlanta, where I've purchased 3 MINI Cooper S's, offered me a whopping $16,000 in trade; that's one of the insulting reasons I've escalated.
Same here got a similar off with 12K miles and only 11 months old...a defective product is not for me to lose money on...can't they understand that

Old 04-18-2009 | 07:53 AM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
Well they offered $17K for the trade...about $1.5K less than what KBB or Edunds TMV would state.

We're about to have a baby and the warranty on this vehicle will be up in 5K miles. I don't need the additional stress of thinking the car is going to be in the shop with this kind of frequency plus cost out of my pocket. I think we may take it (eyeing a CPO 06 330i). Although I am going to ask him to at least meet me half way on what those sites suggested the trade in value be.

Turns out this last incident the tech did not properly attach a PVC hose causing this latest issue. We're still waiting on the parts for the tensioner replacement.

Old 04-20-2009 | 07:38 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sbutler20
Well they offered $17K for the trade...about $1.5K less than what KBB or Edunds TMV would state.

We're about to have a baby and the warranty on this vehicle will be up in 5K miles. I don't need the additional stress of thinking the car is going to be in the shop with this kind of frequency plus cost out of my pocket.
I've called my insurance company. I'm looking into the possibility of declaring it defective, trading it, taking a loss, and putting in a diminished value claim on the difference.

I have heart problems and this is causing my blood pressure to go off the charts. I've enjoyed all 3 of my MINIs but they're killing me now...