Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuel filter tank seals were wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
The fuel filter kit comes with two seals. One says diesel on it, but either one will fit perfect. I checked them and they seem to be the exact same seal so I don't know why the put diesel on it. Don't worry they will work fine.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the rubber compound may get corroded by the ethanol in gas. Beats me, just a bit worried about the "only" wording but I'll venture a guess there ate plenty Minis running around with those seals thanks to the packing mixup. What gets me is the kit I bought is not even BMW or Mini, it's an OES and I think it's aftermarket although it had the same part number stamped on the filter.
Or maybe that wording is there so that the dealerships can price gouge. Either way I'm hoping the seals won't rot on me.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I ordered a fuel filter kit from Bavarian Auto back in July. Planning to install tomorrow. Just opened up the kit and it has the gaskets with "DIESEL ONLY" printed on them.

Guess I'll just go ahead and use it - unless anyone has any other ideas or advice. From the the posts I've read, it doesn't sound like there has been a definitive explanation on why these gaskets say this...?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still no problems here with DIESEL only ...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maurola
After the post on the fuel filter, I decided to change mine out since I have 175K On an 04 MC. I ordered the kit from Flow Mini ( 16 14 6 757 196 ). Upon a close inspection of the kit and the tank seals I noticed on the tank seal, the side that said this side down, in large print, diesel only. I called Flow Mini and advised them of that and they said they would check. I put a post on the DIY fuel filter change and asked if someone would check the left over seal from their change out. One guy replied and said his seal didn't have the diesel only on it so I knew I got the wrong seals. Mini called me this morning and told me that they had BMW check out the problem and over 50% of the fuel filter kits, fuel pump kits, and fuel level sending unit kits were packed with the wrong tank seals, seals that were made for European diesel models and not for gas. They are drop shipping me the correct seals. I am putting this under a seperate post so those who have changed out the filter will see it and inspect and correct the problem. I know it's a PITA but if you have the diesel seals installed, the gas will cause them to break down and you will have the potential for a very serious problem. You could be sitting on a leaking bomb!

How very decent of you to pass this information on.
Thank you.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
BoostinZX
2nd Gear
I just installed mine with the Diesel only gasket as well... I guess i'll keep my fingers crossed Thank you everyone for your information!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Well, so far so good for me, no leaks since June 2011

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
This sounds like wishful thinking. If the seals were identical, why would they say "diesel only"? I don't buy the "printing mistake" for a minute.

[QUOTE=ofioliti;3295798]I am guessing you will be OK with the 'diesel only' gasket. I haven't heard of a single issue with the gasket and our MINI dealer parts guys has said that is the gasket they have been using. Maybe the 'diesel only' print was a mistake in production and in fact it is the same gasket (as it appears to be). Just a thought.[/QUOTE

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
First post.

I'm in the UK, and I recently ordered the fuel filter kit (based on my cars registration number), and I too received the 'DIESEL ONLY' gaskets - THREE YEARS after this thread was started

I contacted Mini via their website, not expecting a response.
I then contacted the dealership I bought the fuel filter from, they said they'd get in touch with BMW.

I got a useless response from Mini:
Thank you for your email dated September 23, 2012. I am very sorry to learn that you feel you have been miss sold a fuel filter kit from ******. I can certainly appreciate your disappointment and I am very grateful for the time which you have taken to contact us.

As I am sure you can appreciate, MINI UK Customer Services is not a parts department. It is for this reason that we rely on our network of approved dealerships to act as our customer facing technical representatives. In light of this, I have contacted ****** this morning on your behalf. After liaising with Mr ***** in the Parts Department, I have been assured that the part which you have been supplied is the correct component for your vehicle. Having said this, if you are at all in doubt and would like further reassurance, please do not hesitate to contact the staff at ****** as they will be in the best position to assist you further.
Awesome, I know it's the 'correct part' as in part number, I told them this via their website

I've now had a call from the dealership, and it IS an error in packing, so I will be getting a new one tomorrow - we'll see if it's correct

Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Still no problem here with the 'diesel only', so I suspect you will be OK.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
Originally Posted by John Carlyle
I've now had a call from the dealership, and it IS an error in packing, so I will be getting a new one tomorrow - we'll see if it's correct
Went to the dealership, parts guy opened up the new filter kit box...

...'DIESEL ONLY' on the gaskets

Guy showed me the correspondence between them and BMW parts, and BMW said 'those gaskets are NOT to be used on petrol cars'.

So, another ordered, will be from Germany this time.
Not the fault of the dealership at all, but at least I now know it's a big mistake by BMW, unbelievably though it's been going on for YEARS

Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
Originally Posted by John Carlyle
Guy showed me the correspondence between them and BMW parts, and BMW said 'those gaskets are NOT to be used on petrol cars'.
BMW have now changed their mind and have decided it's a 'printing error' on the gaskets

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Interesting. Is that what the BMW dealership said, of an official BMW response?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Seen this on every fuel filter kit for years. I figured it was some manufacture error as the fit and work fine, even tested them by soaking them in fuel.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
Originally Posted by fishbone
Interesting. Is that what the BMW dealership said, of an official BMW response?
Pretty much.

Interesting that maurola hasn't updated this thread since he started it. Would be interesting to know whether or not his replacement was the same

Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks like all 1st gen filters available have diesel on the seal. They shouldn't matter, as what Way said. Changed mine a week ago w/ same print, identical to old, perfect fit. Guess BMW is cutting costs & running 1 mould for this seal.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
Originally Posted by minsanity
Looks like all 1st gen filters available have diesel on the seal. They shouldn't matter, as what Way said. Changed mine a week ago w/ same print, identical to old, perfect fit. Guess BMW is cutting costs & running 1 mould for this seal.
If that's the case though, then you'd expect the gaskets fitted at the factory should also say 'diesel only' too, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Will hopefully get chance to change mine this weekend, mine is a Sept 2005 facelift.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
I meant BMW must be cutting costs NOW, running just 1 mould for both petrol & diesel seals. They should've just ran the 1 like our stock 1s, no label. Those who are lucky enough to get 1 w/o the 'diesel' mark, please let us know the source. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 AM
John Carlyle
Neutral
Originally Posted by minsanity
I meant BMW must be cutting costs NOW, running just 1 mould for both petrol & diesel seals.
I realise that, but what I mean is that I'd expect all gaskets to be manufactured in one big run. So that the ones for parts to be sold or identical to those used at the factory.

Okay, I changed my filter at the weekend, all went well
I find the gaskets issue even more odd now...

The original gasket has 'BMW' on it (my car was built in 2005).
The new gaskets have 'ROVER' on them.

If it were the other way around I could understand. But how on Earth are the newer gaskets by Rover?
I mean, the manufacturing of the BMW gaskets were obviously set in place in 2005 and earlier. Why then go back to manufacturing Rover gaskets years later? (BMW bought Rover in 1994, BMW sold Rover in 2000)

Anyway, gaskets look identical

Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
You're right. It's definitely confusing why they're now marked Rover. There hasn't been any problems reported, anyway though. So should be all good.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM
CooperS24
Neutral
I fell victim to this as well! Caused all kinds of headaches. I replaced the filter, seals etc. primed the pump, them all kinds of havoc. The check engine light came on, the car sputtered and seemed to be misfiring. This was after spending nearly an hour to get the canister open. Needless to say my hands are killing me from wrenching on this thing. Well I found this thread and tore a part the filter again today to check my seals. Once again wrenched on the canister to make sure everything inside was good. It was. Took out my old seals and presto! Like a glove. Everything started up great and the little blue belle is running like a champ! They really need to get on top of this diesel only thing. Mine are going back to the dealer tomorrow with a not so happy customer complaint.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
My gaskets were also the "diesel only" ones and they were identical in terms of fit to the ones from factory. The only dispute here was over the material it is made. There were concerns it may dry and crack when exposed to gas. It appears this is not an issue at all.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
GregO
4th Gear
diesel oring

I realize this post is several years old already, but after ordering my fuel filter kit several months ago and stumbling across this thread, I decided to check mine...and they're diesel-only printed. Doesn't bother me as I'll still use them, but thought it was interesting to see this fact 3 to 4 years later...

Greg

Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it looks like I've got the same issue 5 years later. I just ordered a new fuel filter kit from ECS Tuning, and it showed up with the big main seals saying "diesel only" on them.I just used the seal...I figured that if there was a problem, by now someone would have said something about it.

FYI....both of the seals that came in my kit said "diesel only" on them.

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 02-03-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
There is nothing wrong with the kits. ALL the MINI fuel filter kits have these seals that say diesel on them, but they fit and work fine. We've even tried to order different fuel filter kits and no matter what they all come with the seals saying diesel on them. So don't worry use em and they will work.
We keep Fuel filter kits in stock
http://waymotorworks.com/fuel-filter...0-r53-r52.html

Also good trick is to install it on the tank, then put the unit back in.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter tank seals were wrong!