Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

06 MINI "automatic transmission" won't come out of M/S mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
1cophere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 MINI "automatic transmission" won't come out of M/S mode

MY 2006 MINI COOPER "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION" IS STUCK IN THE MANUAL / SPORT DRIVE.I TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO MOVE THE SHIFTER BACK TO THE RIGHT, BUT IT WON''''T GO BACK INTO THE REGULAR DRIVE POSITION.MY 2006 MINI COOPER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IS STUCK IN THE MANUAL / SPORT DRIVE.I TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO MOVE THE SHIFTER BACK TO THE LEFT, BUT IT WON''''T GO BACK INTO THE REGULAR DRIVE POSITION. I HAVE TRIED THIS SITTING STILL AND DRIVING IT. THE INDICATOR LIGHT STAYS ON THE M/S MODE. I JUST WANT TO GET IT BACK IN "D" DRIVE. THE MINI DEALER IS APPROX. 30 MILES AWAY, IF I COULD GET IT BACK TO THE NORMAL DRIVE POSITION, I COULD TAKE IT TO MINI DEALER SERVICE AND HAVE THEM CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

NOTE: THE SHIFTER DOES MOVE TO THE LEFT, BUT THE "D" FOR DRIVE DOES NOT LIGHT UP, BUT STAYS LIT UP IN M/S MODE. IT HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE.

ANY IDEAS?

THANKS....

Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it go into Drive, Reverse, Park, etc normally? If so, it may just be an issue with the indicator, not the shifter or tranny itself.

And you can drive it to the dealer just fine in Sport mode...even if you don't want to shift, the computer will override and do it for you when it really needs to.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:41 AM
1cophere
Neutral
RE: M/S mode

Thanks,

It will go into Park, Reverse, but when you slide it down to DRIVE, it's still in the M/S mode. When I drove it slowly, pushing the shifter back to the DRIVE position, it definitely moves/ goes back to the DRIVE posistion, but it seemed to me it won't shift to a high gear, even though I acceclerated more. It definitely is stuck in the M/S mode.

I didn't want to further damage anything & I didn't know the transmission would shift out on it's own.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
When you are driving it, what gear does it stay in? It should be safe to drive as long as you make certain to keep the engine speed well below redline.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 AM
1cophere
Neutral
It appears to me that it stays in 1st gear. Is there any thing I may be doing wrong, when I try to get it out of the M/S mode. The shifter easily goes to the M/S mode (push to right) and easily comes back to the "D" mode, but when you drive it, even when the shifter is in the regular drive position, the M/S indicator light stays on and it won't shift out of low gear. As mentioned, I tried both methods of driving it and moving the shifter (left and right) and parked at an idle, moving the shifter left and right without an success.

Just maybe I'm doing something wrong. Someone mentioned to me, try disconnecting the battery and see if when I reconnect the battery, the onboard computer might re-set itself. That didn't work.

Any other ideas? I am afraid to ruin the transmission if I have to drive it 30 miles to the dealer. My only other option is to have it towed to the dealer.

Open to any other suggestions....

Thank you in Advance

Old 01-19-2009, 04:22 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 1cophere
It appears to me that it stays in 1st gear. Is there any thing I may be doing wrong, when I try to get it out of the M/S mode. The shifter easily goes to the M/S mode (push to right) and easily comes back to the "D" mode, but when you drive it, even when the shifter is in the regular drive position, the M/S indicator light stays on and it won't shift out of low gear. As mentioned, I tried both methods of driving it and moving the shifter (left and right) and parked at an idle, moving the shifter left and right without an success.

Just maybe I'm doing something wrong. Someone mentioned to me, try disconnecting the battery and see if when I reconnect the battery, the onboard computer might re-set itself. That didn't work.

Any other ideas? I am afraid to ruin the transmission if I have to drive it 30 miles to the dealer. My only other option is to have it towed to the dealer.

Open to any other suggestions....

Thank you in Advance
I am guessing you are still under warranty. Just call up MINI Roadside assistance and have them tow it to your dealer. The phone number should be on a decal in the boot.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah if you are still under warranty just have MINI assistance tow you in. If not, then I'd probably be taking back roads at super slow speeds...

Can you shift up and down in sport mode?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
You should be able to shift with the paddle shifters up or down an drive it to the dealership with no problem.