Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Why I won't buy a MINI - yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:17 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
+1

I like this post
I thought that it was important to listen to noises that occur by my wheel. Who knows, it could save my life. I drive my MINI everyday. I do not let it sit in the garage and just drive it on the weekends. Making sure it drives properly is important to me.

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:24 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
On the techroline or BG44K, is that an official MINI recommendation? Don't some gas companies already put that in their gas and is that not enough?

As far as QC on vendors many auto companies have the same issues. The best thing to do is make them aware there is a problem and encourage them to resolve it.
The Techroline and BG44K recs were made by both of my SAs, and I just like the latter's cleaning properties (many tune shops use BG44K in their advertised "discount" tuneups.) Put a can into my R53 every 7500 miles.

As far as sourced parts, BMWs have been plagued with window issues for decades, so if they're encouraging the company to clean up their act, it's falling on deaf ears.

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:26 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Okay, maybe my last post was a bit dramatic, at the same time, I think that MINI/BMW acknowledged the issues that are coming up with there cars.

Old 02-04-2009 | 12:27 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
The Techroline and BG44K recs were made by both of my SAs, and I just like the latter's cleaning properties (many tune shops use BG44K in their advertised "discount" tuneups.) Put a can into my R53 every 7500 miles.

As far as sourced parts, BMWs have been plagued with window issues for decades, so if they're encouraging the company to clean up their act, it's falling on deaf ears.
I'll have to ask my SA when I bring her in, we're just over 4000mi. I need to bring her in around 6500mi for a tire rotation and balance. Yeah, I've heard the same thing about window issues. I did hear that some of the window problems maybe resolved by resetting the window system.

Originally Posted by desertmini21
I thought that it was important to listen to noises that occur by my wheel. Who knows, it could save my life. I drive my MINI everyday. I do not let it sit in the garage and just drive it on the weekends. Making sure it drives properly is important to me.
Is it the passenger side wheel? What kinda noise is it? I hope you haven't hit something, have you lifted it up and checked the wheel? There is also a pump on that side that sometimes may cause some noise. Wheel noises get my attention real fast, I don't want one coming off.

Old 02-04-2009 | 12:30 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LotusLight
If they made a supercharged Clubman, I would! I really need the extra space the Clubman provides.
Or so you think...

Old 02-04-2009 | 12:38 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
Or so you think...
Yep, MINIs are pretty roomy. In an emergency all ours has to carry is two adults, 5 cat carriers and make a quick exit out of Texas!

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:30 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Yep, MINIs are pretty roomy. In an emergency all ours has to carry is two adults, 5 cat carriers and make a quick exit out of Texas!
FIVE cat carriers! Hmmm, when you get older are we going to find 95 cats in your home someday? And why would you want to leave Texas .

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:33 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I did hear that some of the window problems maybe resolved by resetting the window system.
except bmw's window issues extend back decades when computers didnt control our cars like they do now. they also skew model lines--window regulators were the first things to go in my R53, and when it was in the shop a gentleman with a very new and very expensive 6-series was getting his replaced.

If I have no serious window problems with my R56 in the first 10K I will consider it divine intervention.

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:41 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I'll keep mine after warranty, because that's when I can start working on her!
Maybe there will a shop manual by then!

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:45 PM
sequence
6th Gear
The OP would be better served if he gets to test drive a 2005 or 2006 MCS.
Not only better served, but he'd get to see and feel the difference in the materials used to build both gen cars.

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:53 PM
driverphil
3rd Gear
We've had two MINIs thus far, a 2004 MCa and a 2008 MCa. We are going in next week to order a MCa Clubman.

Our MINI problems have been minimal, and the motoring experience has been terrific!

I've owned many a car in my 64 years - the '79 Fiat X1/9 was one of the most problem filled vehicles I've owned, but one of the best cars for the driving pleasure.

I would say that if you have to have perfection in your vehicle you are missing one hell of a good time.

Old 02-04-2009 | 04:07 PM
tazio
6th Gear
I'll see your cat carriers and raise you full set of windsurfing gear.

Old 02-04-2009 | 04:08 PM
tazio
6th Gear
And no, I did not remove the front passenger seat...

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:51 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Not only better served, but he'd get to see and feel the difference in the materials used to build both gen cars.
Quite Frankly, I still think the build quality in the first gen cars and some of the materials used are better than what you find in the newer cars.

Feel free to disagree..

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:52 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
And no, I did not remove the front passenger seat...
You can stuff quite a bit of junk inside a MINI. You just have to get creative.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:09 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
I think the difference is you have access to this web site to build your case against owning a fun car, a car that gets enthusiastic discussion. I know the MINI is not perfect. You want near perfect, buy something boring like a Camry. You do no one any favors complaining, and not owning. I am an experienced owner, been driving for more than 45 years and probably have owned more than 30 cars. I own four German made cars now. Every car has its problems. If you don't want a MINI, don't get one, and frankly, keep your thoughts to yourself. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, especially, if you don't own a MINI.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:47 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by X5JR
I think the difference is you have access to this web site to build your case against owning a fun car, a car that gets enthusiastic discussion. I know the MINI is not perfect. You want near perfect, buy something boring like a Camry. You do no one any favors complaining, and not owning. I am an experienced owner, been driving for more than 45 years and probably have owned more than 30 cars. I own four German made cars now. Every car has its problems. If you don't want a MINI, don't get one, and frankly, keep your thoughts to yourself. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, especially, if you don't own a MINI.
Wow, must have touched a nerve there, but it might have helped if you more closely read what I originally posted. I acknowledged all cars have problems. I highlighted the 3 problem areas of most concern to me. Expressed that I would like to buy a Mini but will wait until progress is made. I was not building a case but stating a conclusion I had reached and asking if there were others who reached the same conclusion. What is wrong with that?

Since you like German engineering so much, how are your Shamwows?

Old 02-05-2009 | 05:53 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Quite Frankly, I still think the build quality in the first gen cars and some of the materials used are better than what you find in the newer cars. Feel free to disagree..
how about halfway disagree? yes most of the materials are more substantial and less cheap feeling (for example the carpets and headliners) in the first gen cars, but I think the 2nd gen cars have better build quality in general. After all, cheaper materials does not equate sketchy BQ, I mean look at Jaguar, Land Rover etc.--terrific materials, but pretty spotty BQ-wise...

And from personal experience: my R53 had serious fit and finish issues, inside and out, and by 3000 miles it was already in the shop due to window problems and squeaks and rattles so loud (esp in the dash) they drowned out the H-K and the Climate control system, even on glassy smooth road surfaces. Plus, I wont even talk about all the rear hatch wind-leak problems the dealer could never fix, plus all the clutch and DMF problems similar to what you've faced. Approaching 3K on my 09, and absolutely no BQ issues whatsoever; depsite it's cheaper and lighter materials, it IS a better-built car across the board.

Last edited by sequence; 02-05-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2009 | 06:06 AM
sequence
6th Gear
You can stuff quite a bit of junk inside a MINI. You just have to get creative.
Yah I once managed to fit a 61-key KB flight case, my bass and guitar cases, and 3 Fender and Roland amps, plus stands and whatnot, into my R53. It was a little crowded, plus I lost use of my pass rear view mirror fitting the flight case in with the seat all the way forward and tilited, but hey everything fit.

Old 02-05-2009 | 08:08 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Thanks for sharing your experience. Candidly, I do not know what alternatives I will look at but I do know the Camry and Accord will not be among them.

Fortunately, I have the luxury of time and the ability to buy a more costly car should I choose. My current vehicle, while 7 years old, has plenty of life left in it. I also have a car that is almost 40 years old that weighs half of a Mini with more HP, so I have a fun quotient car.
The only reason I suggested a Camry or an Accord is because they are well known for their reliability, and that seems to be what you are looking for. MINIs definitely have a few bugs here and there. And with every new model year and new feature, they may fix an old issue, but a new one will surely arise. Their systems are much more complicated than an those of an Accord or Camry, and therefore would be prone to more bugs. Heck just last week, my boot door kept popping open for no apparent reason. But restarting the car fixed it. Regardless of the minor issues that some of us may encounter, we still love the cars.

I've never owned a car that hasn't had a minor issue, and I've never owned a MINI with a major issue. They're good cars, but Toyota and Honda have historically built the most reliable cars on the road, though they're a little boring for my taste.

Old 02-05-2009 | 10:15 AM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
The only reason I suggested a Camry or an Accord is because they are well known for their reliability, and that seems to be what you are looking for.
Yes and no regarding reliability. I do not mind that some cars are more expensive to maintain, or have more finicky systems. We have a car like that now. I am merely trying to avoid the catastrophic issues that either ruin the car mechanically or make you so fed up you don't want it anymore. The folks with the death rattle seem pretty displeased with it and maybe it is nothing more than noise. However, given that it is a new, unproven engine combined with an identified problem and Mini seems to be working to resolve it, it only seems prudent to wait a bit.

Originally Posted by tim781996
Heck just last week, my boot door kept popping open for no apparent reason. But restarting the car fixed it. Regardless of the minor issues that some of us may encounter, we still love the cars.
Hmmm. Maybe it is a Mini conspiracy. Mini has proven it controls the sunroof, now it is working on the boot door, next the regular doors, and then...

Old 02-05-2009 | 10:38 AM
driverphil
3rd Gear
Quite Frankly, I still think the build quality in the first gen cars and some of the materials used are better than what you find in the newer cars.

Feel free to disagree..

Having owned a R50 and a R56 - In my opinion the materials in the R56 are far superior.

Old 02-05-2009 | 10:38 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Interestingly, I received a PM suggesting I look at the non S as the issues above may be exclusive to the turbo models. The first thread seems to be exclusively S models (save one post - #58), the 3rd thread seems to be exclusively S and the 2nd thread is not clear. A couple JustAs have reported the problem but many posters do not fully identify their vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?
I have a non-S MC, second gen 2007. The car has been fantastic, believe me. As far as reliability goes the MC has always been rated fairly high. (CR data) The engine is smooth and fairly responsive. I like having the six gears, even though yes you can skip one from time to time, but I always find some situation where its nice to have them all. I had some reliability concerns based on first gen data, but the second gen seemed to fill my needs. I stuck with the MC which in 2006 had CRs highest reliability rating. I also avoided extra electronic equipment like nav, comfort access and the like as that tends to drag reliability down. I also am not a fan of the mini sunroof you can never totally block out so i didn't get that. I added sport seats, hi-fi, heated seats, oak dash, fog lights, DSC (now standard), MFSW, and arm-rests. I ended up with a really good liveable car without the electronic gadetry. I couldn't be happier. I was very concerned about reliability when I purchased my MC, researched it carefully and ordered accordingly, and after nearly two years of ownership, couldn't be happier.

The NA second gen engne does not apparently have the cold start problem, I have my theories, I won't go into here. I know there is an odd post in the thread, but I tend to think those are from someone who thinks they are supposed to have the problem and hear what they want. I don't think I"ve ever read of a MC that has the 3-2 downshift squeal the MCS had either. ( I don't hear of many MCS having that anymore either.) That may be do to the fact the MCS has full sycros on all gears the MC only on 3-6 with carbon plates on 1 and 2. I don't know.

In short a properly outfitted MC should fit the bill for even the person who, like myself, is very conscious about reliability.

Old 02-05-2009 | 11:49 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by driverphil
Having owned a R50 and a R56 - In my opinion the materials in the R56 are far superior.
That is pretty debatable.

Don't get me wrong, I really love my Clubman S but I can pinpoint several areas where MINI saved $$$ in the newer cars:

Radio (I have H/K in my 2005 and blows the stock R55 stereo out of the water)

Headliner in the 2005 is much nicer

Loss of height adjustable front seatbelts

Loss of rear passenger map lights in the main light dome

Center console materials and design a step backwards

No burble noise coming from exhaust (I want my MINI to sound like a MINI, not a Honda Accord)

Carpet quality + fitting much better in the 2005

Fit and finish in my 2005 is excellent. Doors close with a bank vault "Thunk". No rattles or squeaks either.

Steering feel and feedback still mucho better in the 2005.

Sure, there are many improvements...better gas mileage, more torque, better emissions, etc, etc

I am just objective when I compare both cars.

Old 02-05-2009 | 11:53 AM
boxtomini
1st Gear
I have been reading this site over the last few months because I am considering replacing my Boxster with a Mini.

If you have read any of the Boxster boards, you would never buy one. They have very few small problems to worry about and a couple of HUGE problems (IMS and RMS to name a pair). That being said, I love my Boxster every time I drive it. I am not worried that sometimes the passenger window goes down when I push the up button, that the alarm sometimes sounds after I unlock the door if I don't start the car fast enough, the stereo is junk or that the car came with a plastic rear window and no glove box. Quirky things are ok.

What has troubled me about what I read here are the service centers issues and the warranty issues people have. Many of the posts I read indicate that the service folks for Mini are unwilling or unable to help with some problems. I have been lucky enough to have largely trouble free cars (except for a Nissan Pathfinder that was the worst piece of junk ever made). I think I would have very little patience for having to bring my car in time and time again to have strut mounts, clutches, flywheels, hood scoops etc replaced.

It is all a moot point for me until I can sell my Boxster (baby on the way and need a bigger car). Mini's are still on the list, but have been bumped down the list a little bit because of dealer service and factory warranty issues, not because they have some quirks.

Quick Reply: Why I won't buy a MINI - yet